News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: New Alabama Governor: Just Christians are his family  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
Re: New Alabama Governor: Just Christians are his family
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
I wonder if he'll say that to the Buddists and Shinto owners of Honda and Hyanduai that have factories in Alabama?

Seems like Alabama has a long history of electing kooks for governor.
:lol: :o :lol:..............yeah, couldn't agree more with BOTH points you make here, B4L.

My very first thought when I heard about this was where do they FIND these clowns and how do they get elected to high office in Alabama?  What is fascinating about this is that just literally MOMENTS before addressing the crowd at Dexter, the dude had just been sworned in as governor on the steps of the state capitol building. 

Like several of you here, I have visited downtown Montgomery, and all you have to do is walk across the street from the capitol building, and you're at Dexter.  I think this guy was trying to ingratiate himself with the black congregation at Dexter who were gathered there on MLK Day.  He was also quoted saying something about how he doesn't see "color"  ::),  and that all who have accepted Jesus as their lord and saviour were his "brothers and sisters".

So, in my humble opinion, this was a classic example of a southern, white male politician trying to endear himself to an audience of negroes and it backfired. 

And, btw, dude can keep his so-called "Christian" values of bigotry, discrimination, death penalty, etc., to himself.  ::)

Strike, he went there to prove he wasn't a racist and in reality, proved he was a bigot. >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:44 AM »
Well now that's the CRUX of the issue isn't it?

By one type of Christian, which type are you referring to?

And didn't Jesus himself tolerate others?

There is only one type, one that adheres to or is striving to adhere the teachings of Christ.   I said striving because none of us are perfect and we fall short.  However, if I don't follow or strive to follow his teachings then I am not a Christian but rather a wolf in sheep's clothing, a false prophet.

Just saying I am a Christian does not make me a Christian anymore than my saying I'm Cholly makes me you.  :shrug: 

My friend, EVERYBODY thinks they are right. Even jerry fallwell said he was a Christian and he was one of the most selfish, self-serving, mean spirited, vile people to ever be ordained. :no:

ALL these people think that THEY are the only REAL Christians and that everyone else is Hell bound.

VERY un-Christlike.

The ULTIMATE hypocrites. :no:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
I wonder if he'll say that to the Buddists and Shinto owners of Honda and Hyanduai that have factories in Alabama?

:lol: :o :lol:..............yeah, couldn't agree more with BOTH points you make here, B4L.

My very first thought when I heard about this was where do they FIND these clowns and how do they get elected to high office in Alabama?  What is fascinating about this is that just literally MOMENTS before addressing the crowd at Dexter, the dude had just been sworned in as governor on the steps of the state capitol building. 

Like several of you here, I have visited downtown Montgomery, and all you have to do is walk across the street from the capitol building, and you're at Dexter.  I think this guy was trying to ingratiate himself with the black congregation at Dexter who were gathered there on MLK Day.  He was also quoted saying something about how he doesn't see "color"  ::),  and that all who have accepted Jesus as their lord and saviour were his "brothers and sisters".

So, in my humble opinion, this was a classic example of a southern, white male politician trying to endear himself to an audience of negroes and it backfired. 

And, btw, dude can keep his so-called "Christian" values of bigotry, discrimination, death penalty, etc., to himself.  ::)

Strike, he went there to prove he wasn't a racist and in reality, proved he was a bigot. >:(
Yeah, absolutely correct, Cholly.

Look, I had never heard of this clown until this story broke nationally a few days ago.  But I immediately suspected that those who WERE familiar with 'bama politics, and had followed/covered this guy's race for the governor's office, probably weren't all that surprised by his statements at Dexter.  My suspicion is that the dude had made ALOT of inflammatory statements during the campaign that should have put the 'bama electorate on notice, but they voted for him ANYWAY.  ::)

So, if the voters in Alabama want to continue to elect these kooks and retrogrades to high office while the rest of the country - save Mississippi, SC, and a few others  ::) - move forward, then so be it.

BTW, Cholly and board, heard a discussion of this matter on MSNBC a day or so ago, and the consensus was that had, say, Keith Ellison, the brutha congressman who is the self-avowed Muslim from Michigan, said something similar to this clown in Montgomery, they would have run Ellison's a-- out of the congress.  :(

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
Well now that's the CRUX of the issue isn't it?

By one type of Christian, which type are you referring to?

And didn't Jesus himself tolerate others?

There is only one type, one that adheres to or is striving to adhere the teachings of Christ.   I said striving because none of us are perfect and we fall short.  However, if I don't follow or strive to follow his teachings then I am not a Christian but rather a wolf in sheep's clothing, a false prophet.

Just saying I am a Christian does not make me a Christian anymore than my saying I'm Cholly makes me you.  :shrug: 

My friend, EVERYBODY thinks they are right. Even jerry fallwell said he was a Christian and he was one of the most selfish, self-serving, mean spirited, vile people to ever be ordained. :no:

ALL these people think that THEY are the only REAL Christians and that everyone else is Hell bound.

VERY un-Christlike.

The ULTIMATE hypocrites. :no:

If you are in disagreement with what I said please tell me which part and I will fully explain, because it seems we are like a dog chasing his tail.  :shrug:  I for one have am not sure of where your comments are going or the points you are trying to make.  :shrug:

"My friend, EVERYBODY thinks they are right. Even jerry fallwell said he was a Christian and he was one of the most selfish, self-serving, mean spirited, vile people to ever be ordained. :no:"

The description for a Christian is clearly articulated in the New Testament, so someone thinking they are right when they are not in accordance with those tenets does not correlate to me.  :shrug:  IMHO, Falwell proves my case of someone saying they are Christian but not being one.

the Bible says "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers."  So if the person is not espousing Christian principles as written in the Bible then they should not be considered a Christian because a Christian will bear Christian fruit.   Christian fruit consist of  love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance.

There are many who claim Christianity but who are not,  the Bible also say "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me".

SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 03:36:46 AM »
8-2, my point is, while neither you nor I might consider these people to be Christians, they DO think of themselves that way.

pat robertson and jerry fallwell both sat there and blamed 9/11 and the 3,000 people that died that day on homosexuality.... something Jesus Christ would NEVER HAVE DONE.

So....

Because WE say they aren't Christians because they a) don't fit the definition and b) don't ACT Christ Like, doesn't mean that won't wrap themselves up in the Bible and condemn US for whatever twisted reasons their little minds conjure up. :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
8-2, my point is, while neither you nor I might consider these people to be Christians, they DO think of themselves that way.

pat robertson and jerry fallwell both sat there and blamed 9/11 and the 3,000 people that died that day on homosexuality.... something Jesus Christ would NEVER HAVE DONE.

So....

Because WE say they aren't Christians because they a) don't fit the definition and b) don't ACT Christ Like, doesn't mean that won't wrap themselves up in the Bible and condemn US for whatever twisted reasons their little minds conjure up. :shrug:

I understand a little better the point you are making.  I was hung up on you saying what type of Christian they were as if there are degrees and sects of Christianity.

From my learnings you either are or you aren't, there is no type.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
^^^Again, that's YOUR opinion. I agree.

But sir, that really doesn't matter.

Members of the Invisible Empire adorn their costumes with crosses, as do the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan... people who actually open their events with a prayer to God and Jesus.

I point this out for OBVIOUS reasons; these people don't see themselves or what they do as wrong, and they use THEIR interpretation of Christianity as justification for their behavior.

Again, what you or I believe is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
Alabama is a different universe. I have lots of fam there. In some areas the Civil War is literally still being fought. The state just elected its first Black female to Congress last year.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
EXACTLY!!

The people who elected that fool to office knew EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DOING... AND GETTING. >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
HE IS THE GOVERNOR OF ALABAMA!!!!!!
AT LEAST HE IS HONEST ENOUGH TO ADMIT IT   :shrug:

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »
Alabama is a different universe. I have lots of fam there. In some areas the Civil War is literally still being fought. The state just elected its first Black female to Congress last year.

And that my friends is why I moved the hell away from there in 87 and prolly won't move back there....

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 12:46:19 PM »
^^^An intellegent, successful, financially stable, world travelled BLACK MAN like you.... with a family too?!?!

I don't blame you.  :tiptoe:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »

My very first thought when I heard about this was where do they FIND these clowns and how do they get elected to high office in Alabama?  What is fascinating about this is that just literally MOMENTS before addressing the crowd at Dexter, the dude had just been sworned in as governor on the steps of the state capitol building.  

Like several of you here, I have visited downtown Montgomery, and all you have to do is walk across the street from the capitol building, and you're at Dexter.  I think this guy was trying to ingratiate himself with the black congregation at Dexter who were gathered there on MLK Day.  He was also quoted saying something about how he doesn't see "color"  ::),  and that all who have accepted Jesus as their lord and saviour were his "brothers and sisters".

And, btw, dude can keep his so-called "Christian" values of bigotry, discrimination, death penalty, etc., to himself.  ::)

This is so true, and look at what church he was speaking.

As for his becoming governor, I will bet that a lot of people who would not have voted for politicians like him did not vote at all.  As usual a lower percentage of eligible voters voted during the mid-terms.  In this case it increased the chances of this governor getting elected.  The thing that happened this past November is that people like him, who would not have gotten elected during the 1970s or even the '80s, are getting elected with some regularity now.  Am I wrong?  I do not think so.  In 1978 a young candidate for the House in Texas called for the privatization of social security.  He lost in far west Texas, not the most liberal place in the world.  He later lived in the governor's mansion and the White House.  His name is George W. Bush.

One thing that I have noticed is the moving of a lot of middle to upper middle class voters moving to this part of the country from the northeast and Midwest especially.  (I am talking about White voters.)  They were heading to Florida for decades but have come to Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, and parts of Alabama since the late ‘70s.  As former Georgia Secretary of State and U.S. Senator Max Cleland said, these voters are mostly republicans, not democrats.  I have seen the change in metro Atlanta.  Had they not moved to the south, they probably would have elected governors like Chris Christie in New Jersey, Scott Walker in Wisconsin, and John Kasich in Ohio.  They are now helping to put in Nathan Deal in Georgia, Rick Perry in Texas and Rick Scott in Florida as governors.

www.brookings.edu/papers/2007/0921governance_galston.aspx

www.davidsirota.com/2005/01/bush-said-ss-would-go-bust-by-1988.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:00:02 PM by EB »

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »
EXCELLENT ANALYSIS!!! :clap: :bow: :clap:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
^^^Again, that's YOUR opinion. I agree.

But sir, that really doesn't matter.

Members of the Invisible Empire adorn their costumes with crosses, as do the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan... people who actually open their events with a prayer to God and Jesus.

I point this out for OBVIOUS reasons; these people don't see themselves or what they do as wrong, a[b]nd they use THEIR interpretation of Christianity as justification for their behavior.[/b]

Again, what you or I believe is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. :shrug:

I'm confused on your point again because that still doesn't make them a Christian. You seem to be trying to make them a Christian just because they use Christian rituals.  :shrug:. Again if they are not bearing Christian fruit they are not Christians.  I guess we are still talking apples and oranges and I will agree to disagree.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule