News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Cornish hens seem perfect fit  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Cornish hens seem perfect fit
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:29 AM »
Petite birds are just right for a home-cooked gathering

By Susan M. Selasky, Detroit Free Press
January 6, 2011

If you're planning on just a few guests for a home-cooked gathering and don't want to wrestle with a whole turkey or a hunk of beef, try Cornish hens.

They're inexpensive, petite and make for a nice presentation. And because they are small, they cook quickly.

You will typically find hens sold frozen and wrapped individually with two to a package. Thaw them in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator. If you choose microwave thawing, they need to be cooked immediately.

One whole hen weighs 1 to 11/4 pounds. There is a small amount of meat to bone with Cornish hens, so plan on one per person for a generous serving.

You can season and flavor these little hens as you would a whole chicken. Today's recipe calls for a basting sauce made with orange marmalade, pineapple juice and few other seasonings. You can substitute apricot preserves for the marmalade if desired. Be sure to reserve some of the basting sauce.

In this recipe, the hens are roasted with peeled, whole shallots and whole bulbs of garlic. Roasting the shallots and garlic brings out their sweet flavor. Serve the roasted shallots as a side with the hens. After roasting, the garlic should be soft. Squeeze the garlic from the cloves and spread on slices of crusty bread.

:read:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/food/fl-food-cornish-r1-010611-20110106,0,1256457.story
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • Tell em don’t play w me IM NOT THEM AND WILL NEVER
    • View Profile
Re: Cornish hens seem perfect fit
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
 I have been including Cornish Hens into my menu at least once a month.
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
 ;) ;D :nod: :clap:

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
We love them and usually prepare them with a simple rub (pepper, garlic, seasoning salt, hungarian paprika and sage) and baste with apple/orange marmalade and orange juice mixture.  We'll typically have some long grain wild rice, creamed spinach and a nice salad to go along with it. 

Now that roasted garlic spread on french bread....oh man is that good....that's like butter when its roasted just right...and for those who like a bit of spice, I concocted a roasted garlic-cayenne butter....you get the roasted garlic cloves, lightly salted butter and some cayenne pepper...mix together and serve with warm toasted bread with a meal....

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
 :nod: :clap:

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »
When I was growing up, my mom used to fix Cornish hens as an alternative to Turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Many times she'd get ours FRESH--and they would be soo good. Not sure how/where those farmers got them but there was difference between the fresh and the frozen  ones.

She was creative with them too.  One time she split them and made paella....

Another time, she and my dad actually roasted them on the grill.  THey had marinated them and that was some GOOD EATING!

Baby Rattlerette likes them--I started her eating them early.  If her friends are spending the night with us, sometimes she'll ask if I'll fix the "tiny chickens" for them.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:08:07 AM by GALFAMU »
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
I've split "em and grilled 'em  :nod:
I've injected honey in them.
I've basted them with jelly mixture, garlic butter, honey and pan juices.
I've rotisserie, roasted, deep fried and baked.
I've stuffed with wild rice, seafood dressing, vegetables.
I've eaten them on china, paper plate and standing on my front porch with no plate at all.  :o ::)

A "FRESH" CORNISH HEN...IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND  ;) ;D :nod:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule