News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Y's Governor Allows Text Book Errors in History  (Read 6835 times)

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Y's Governor Allows Text Book Errors in History
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »
Five myths about why the South seceded

By James W. Loewen
Sunday, January 9, 2011; 12:00 AM

One hundred and fifty years after the Civil War began, we're still fighting it -- or at least fighting over its history. I've polled thousands of high school history teachers and spoken about the war to audiences across the country, and there is little agreement even on why the South seceded. Was it over slavery? States' rights? Tariffs and taxes?

As the nation begins to commemorate the anniversaries of the war's various battles -- from Fort Sumter to Appomattox -- let's first dispense with some of the more prevalent myths about why it all began.

1. The South seceded over states' rights.

Confederate states did claim the right to secede, but no state claimed to be seceding for that right. In fact, Confederates opposed states' rights -- that is, the right of Northern states not to support slavery.

2. Secession was about tariffs and taxes.

During the nadir of post-civil-war race relations - the terrible years after 1890 when town after town across the North became all-white "sundown towns" and state after state across the South prevented African Americans from voting - "anything but slavery" explanations of the Civil War gained traction. To this day Confederate sympathizers successfully float this false claim, along with their preferred name for the conflict: the War Between the States. At the infamous Secession Ball in South Carolina, hosted in December by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, "the main reasons for secession were portrayed as high tariffs and Northern states using Southern tax money to build their own infrastructure," The Washington Post reported.

3. Most white Southerners didn't own slaves, so they wouldn't secede for slavery.

Indeed, most white Southern families had no slaves. Less than half of white Mississippi households owned one or more slaves, for example, and that proportion was smaller still in whiter states such as Virginia and Tennessee. It is also true that, in areas with few slaves, most white Southerners did not support secession. West Virginia seceded from Virginia to stay with the Union, and Confederate troops had to occupy parts of eastern Tennessee and northern Alabama to hold them in line.

However, two ideological factors caused most Southern whites, including those who were not slave-owners, to defend slavery. First, Americans are wondrous optimists, looking to the upper class and expecting to join it someday. In 1860, many subsistence farmers aspired to become large slave-owners. So poor white Southerners supported slavery then, just as many low-income people support the extension of George W. Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy now.

4. Abraham Lincoln went to war to end slavery.

Since the Civil War did end slavery, many Americans think abolition was the Union's goal. But the North initially went to war to hold the nation together. Abolition came later.

On Aug. 22, 1862, President Lincoln wrote a letter to the New York Tribune that included the following passage: "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

5. The South couldn't have made it long as a slave society.

Slavery was hardly on its last legs in 1860. That year, the South produced almost 75 percent of all U.S. exports. Slaves were worth more than all the manufacturing companies and railroads in the nation. No elite class in history has ever given up such an immense interest voluntarily. Moreover, Confederates eyed territorial expansion into Mexico and Cuba. Short of war, who would have stopped them - or forced them to abandon slavery?

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
Five myths about why the South seceded

Slavery was hardly on its last legs in 1860. That year, the South produced almost 75 percent of all U.S. exports. Slaves were worth more than all the manufacturing companies and railroads in the nation.

True. I believe the it was once questioned as to why was it a slave was worth $1000, when a white man was only worth $5.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 12:27:09 PM »
eagle,

Don't fret.
Some can dish it, but can't take it.
O0
Ahw....c'mon there Bison...you know darn well the superintendent of education is in charge of this...not the govenor. Just another way to CHEAP shot a conservative. GO VIKINGS!!!

highlander,
Review y04's "cheap shot" thread titles and get back to me.
THAT's why I said what I said.

I hope you do NOT think I am taking y04's nonsense seriously.

O0
Bison...I'm not saying you took a cheap shot....that was for the original poster. GO VIKINGS!!!

highlander,

I understood that from the jump.
But again, I was pointing out that alpha was simply, IMO, mocking y04's silly and hyper-partisan thread titles.
O0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:03:09 PM by Bison66 »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
y04185 should really reconsider his penchant for calling people liars.

It is my understanding that a lie is an intentional falsehood. I think it a very rare instance that a poster will intentionally mistate a fact.

If someone post information that you believe to be false,  why not just say, I think you are mistaken or that is factually inaccurate and post what you believe to be the true facts.  

It really isn't necessary to call anyone a liar.  It's like you are going out of your way to insult or antagonize someone.  We all should try to tone down the ad-hominem rhetoric.

He fails to understand that there is a state BOE and the Department of Public Instruction.  The Supertindent of Public Instruction serves and secretary to the state BOE.  The Supertindent was re-appointed in April by mcdonnell.

:) Actually, I thought you were just goofing on him always bragging about "his governor." I'm not inclined to believe that the errors in the history text books have anything to do with Governor McDonnell or  any political party.
He accepts credit for the so call good things done under mcdonnell reign but this occurred under his watch.  

name them.  

he didn't take credit for the virginia colleges named 'best value.'  
You are right I cannot name any good thing.

that means you are a liar.
The errors happened under the watch of your govenor.  He reappointed the superintendent of public instruction.  If you get your head out of his arse and pockets you could admit that much.

BTW. You would not know the truth if it hit you in the face like a big right hook.

the superintendent of public instruction has nothing to do with this.  this is a matter for the vboe to deal with.  tim kaine reappointed her.

i'm still waiting for you to explain why the link you provided quoted the p.r. person for the vboe.  it is obvious you know nothing about how things are ran in virginia.  the more you post on this subject the more your ignorance shows.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »
y04185 should really reconsider his penchant for calling people liars.

It is my understanding that a lie is an intentional falsehood. I think it a very rare instance that a poster will intentionally mistate a fact.

If someone post information that you believe to be false,  why not just say, I think you are mistaken or that is factually inaccurate and post what you believe to be the true facts.  

It really isn't necessary to call anyone a liar.  It's like you are going out of your way to insult or antagonize someone.  We all should try to tone down the ad-hominem rhetoric.

He fails to understand that there is a state BOE and the Department of Public Instruction.  The Supertindent of Public Instruction serves and secretary to the state BOE.  The Supertindent was re-appointed in April by mcdonnell.

:) Actually, I thought you were just goofing on him always bragging about "his governor." I'm not inclined to believe that the errors in the history text books have anything to do with Governor McDonnell or  any political party.
He accepts credit for the so call good things done under mcdonnell reign but this occurred under his watch.  

name them.  

he didn't take credit for the virginia colleges named 'best value.'  
You are right I cannot name any good thing.

that means you are a liar.
The errors happened under the watch of your govenor.  He reappointed the superintendent of public instruction.  If you get your head out of his arse and pockets you could admit that much.

BTW. You would not know the truth if it hit you in the face like a big right hook.

the superintendent of public instruction has nothing to do with this.  this is a matter for the vboe to deal with.  tim kaine reappointed her.

i'm still waiting for you to explain why the link you provided quoted the p.r. person for the vboe.  it is obvious you know nothing about how things are ran in virginia.  the more you post on this subject the more your ignorance shows.
http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101230/NEWS0107/12300350/1020&nav_category=

Discovery of mistakes prompts Virginia to revamp textbook selection process
By Kevin Sieff / The Washington Post
Published: December 30. 2010 4:00AM PST
 advertisement:  The Virginia Department of Education has proposed significant changes to its textbook approval process, including requiring publishers to vet their books with content experts and provide documentation that they have done so.

The changes follow a devastating review of several state history textbooks, which historians found to be fraught with errors.

Patricia Wright, state Superintendent of Public Instruction, said Tuesday that she plans to “require that publishers provide documentation that the books they submit have been reviewed by competent authorities who vouch for their accuracy.”Several historians appointed by the state identified dozens of errors in two textbooks published by Five Ponds Press. The books’ author, Joy Masoff, is not a trained historian, and admitted to conducting some of her research on the Internet.

Two of the publisher’s books, “Our Virginia, Past and Present” and “Our America: to 1865,” included incorrect dates for the Battle of Bull Run and the beginning of America’s involvement in World War I, as well as a host of inaccuracies about Colonial Virginia and the Civil War

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Mmmmmmm...

You mean to say that the Superintendent of Public Instruction is butting into matters that she has nothing to do with???

Oh, horrors!!!

O0

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
Mmmmmmm...

You mean to say that the Superintendent of Public Instruction is butting into matters that she has nothing to do with???

Oh, horrors!!!

O0

yep.  that is why the vboe is making changes to the textbook approval process, not the superintendent of public instruction.  that is why the vboe will be doing the vetting, not the supt. of public instruction.  that is why the original post had a quote from the p.r. person for the vboe.  not the p.r. person for the dpi.  the washington post would not have gone to the wrong department. 

in his last post he used a source that had the textbook story in the entertainment department.  no reputable source puts textbooks and education stories in the entertainment department.  81alphaeagle is a joke.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
Mmmmmmm...

Oh, horrors!!!

O0

yep.  that is why the vboe is making changes to the textbook approval process, not the superintendent of public instruction.  that is why the vboe will be doing the vetting, not the supt. of public instruction.  that is why the original post had a quote from the p.r. person for the vboe.  not the p.r. person for the dpi.  the washington post would not have gone to the wrong department. 

in his last post he used a source that had the textbook story in the entertainment department.  no reputable source puts textbooks and education stories in the entertainment department.  81alphaeagle is a joke.
y you a joke.  The superintendent of public instruction Patricia Wright,said Tuesday that she plans to “require that publishers provide documentation that the books they submit have been reviewed by competent authorities who vouch for their accuracy".

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
By y04185:

the superintendent of public instruction has nothing to do with this......

Really

Patricia Wright, state superintendent of public instruction, said Tuesday that she plans to "require that publishers provide documentation that the books they submit have been reviewed by competent authorities who vouch for their accuracy."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11002/1114736-84.stm

:lol:

Although it appears that y04185 has once again put his foot in his mouth, don't y'all think it's time to put this thread to bed.

Come on 81alphaeagle, you know you can't blame Governor McDonnell for errors in a history textbook

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:23:19 PM by Wildman78 »

Online 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »
the superintendent of public instruction has nothing to do with this.  this is a matter for the vboe to deal with.  tim kaine reappointed her.

Patricia Wright, state superintendent of public instruction, said Tuesday that she plans to "require that publishers provide documentation that the books they submit have been reviewed by competent authorities who vouch for their accuracy."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11002/1114736-84.stm

:lol:

Although it appears that y04185 has once again put his foot in his mouth, don't y'all think it's time to put this thread to bed.

Come on 81alphaeagle, you know you can't blame Governor McDonnell for errors in a history textbook

You are right, glad I am not the only one who sees Y as putting his big fat bully foot in his mouth.  You cannot always blame the person at the top for all the errors that happen, I will admit that.  Y does need to understand that he is not the only one who knows what happens in the state of Virginina and he is not always right.  The BOE may set policy, but the Superintendent influences, recommends and implement policy.  We will put this to bed.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule