News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: What habits or fashion should a forty year old Black man leave behind?  (Read 10009 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Weekend Tiger!
    • View Profile
Re: What habits or fashion should a forty year old Black man leave behind?
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2011, 06:23:24 AM »
Hate to generalize too much but I think the art and style of dressing is missing from the younger generation.

Uh, you THINK the art and style of dressing is missing from their generation?  :lol:

Hell, their generation, and probably their parents, too.  :brickwall:

Offline TrueEagle

• Assistant GM
  • Asst. GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccueaf.org
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »
Leave behind irresponsibility and relationship games.
"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepard, Founder of NCCU    :nod:

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
Hate to generalize too much but I think the art and style of dressing is missing from the younger generation. There is a time and place on what too wear.

Agree! But the problem is a lot of parents don't know how to dress  for the occasion so how can they teach their children?

Throw in those  parents who want to be "in" or follow fashion trends--and you have a breakdown of people dressing appropriately.

When I was growing up, we had "travel clothes" clothes for church, casual and clothes for "special times."

I don't think people think or dress that way these days.

Thumper and I frequently go to the Kennedy Center, and other theater venues, so she's learned to dress for those events.

But many times she's  whispered  to me that she sees a lot of people "who just aren't dressed right for this."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:11:34 AM by GALFAMU »
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
Hey 82,

You were looking halfway decent in that crimson and gold... :lol: :lol:

Teeny and Little

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »
I have no problem with ladies with nice legs showing them of, but the problems is some folks don't realize their legs are not that cute. At the knee is fine but to keep going up and being 50+ wearing this

when your legs look like this   or this   should be a felony.  :shrug:

Ok. I understand. NOW when legs looks like that... I say either get them fixed or cover them.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:16:56 PM by GALFAMU »

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
I agree that there is a lack of people knowing what is appropriate for what occasion or venue. I went to a NYE "gala" in Arlington, VA last week and some of the stuff I saw would have knocked you out!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:21 AM »
Hey 82,

:o   :o  Well just for that I cancelling your green wig and boa dress I was gonna give you at da turnament.  :lol:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Offline Cub 7

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »
Hats of any type not worn properly!  Women.  Leggings are not pants!

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
Hey 82,

:o   :o  Well just for that I cancelling your green wig and boa dress I was gonna give you at da turnament.  :lol:

That's ok - I thot you knew - I'll bring my own... :tongue2:  :nod: :lol:  :lol:

Teeny and Little

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »
Hate to generalize too much but I think the art and style of dressing is missing from the younger generation. There is a time and place on what too wear. Too many have all of the Jordan brand but don't have a suit for a funeral.

Well, I have both (Jordan Sneakers and a Black Suit, plus about 8 or 9 others)..

To me, especially if it is functional, nothing wrong with Jordans. I like Jordans/Nikes to play ball in, they are the most comfortable to hoop in, (especially as you hit 40 and beyond :lol:) As you get older, you need some comfortable kicks to play sports in/exercise in, so if they are Jordan's, then so be it. :nod: What am I supposed to do, switch to Converse?? :lol:

But yeah, a grown-butt man of 40 should have at least a couple of suits for occasions that call for them. :nod:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS
2017,2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2018,2016, 2015,2009,2002 CIAA Northern Football Champions

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:55 AM »
Hate to generalize too much but I think the art and style of dressing is missing from the younger generation. There is a time and place on what too wear.

Agree! But the problem is a lot of parents don't know how to dress  for the occasion so how can they teach their children?

Throw in those  parents who want to be "in" or follow fashion trends--and you have a breakdown of people dressing appropriately.

When I was growing up, we had "travel clothes" clothes for church, casual and clothes for "special times."

I don't think people think or dress that way these days.

Thumper and I frequently go to the Kennedy Center, and other theater venues, so she's learned to dress for those events.

But many times she's  whispered  to me that she sees a lot of people "who just aren't dressed right for this."
........good points, GAL.  And I applaud you for passing on appropriate values to Thumper.  Sadly, however, the culture and evolving standards are changing.

Mrs. Strike, Ms. Strike and I went out to dinner New Year's Eve night.  The weather wasn't terribly cold - somewhere in upper 40's/low 50's - so I initially decided to wear a medium-heavy jacket.  Both Mrs. Strike and Ms. Strike wore dresses.  Right before walking out the door, I decided to shed the jacket and wear a wool sports coat instead. This was a high-end steak restaurant - well, "high-end" by Nashville standards  :lol: - so I'm thinking a "gentleman" should wear a sports coat to dinner.

Well, the place was crowded, and I could literally count the number of guys in the place wearing either a suit or sports coat.  Most were just nicely dressed with slacks and shirt.  But there were quite a few in jeans - ladies too - and even some of our young male "cousins" with sagging jeans, baseball cap, and the rest of the "street" regalia.  :o

And that scene at that restaurant on that night is just one example of what I've observed over the years.

But word to GAL: Mrs. Strike ALWAYS taught Ms. Strike how to dress appropriately since she was a young girl.  She's now 21 and a college junior.  We don't know how she dresses in school when she's away from us.  But she ALWAYS knows how to dress when she's home with us and we're going out.

Trust me, the same will go for Thumper as she matures through the years.

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
[But word to GAL: Mrs. Strike ALWAYS taught Ms. Strike how to dress appropriately since she was a young girl.  She's now 21 and a college junior.  We don't know how she dresses in school when she's away from us.  But she ALWAYS knows how to dress when she's home with us and we're going out.

Trust me, the same will go for Thumper as she matures through the years.

I hope you're right Strike 79. :)

So far, it is fairly easy to get her to dress properly because Thumper loves, loves clothes and accesories and looking good.

She is much better than I was at her age.

But, I am not sure if it is the gene pool or if it because she's been wearing a school uniform for awhile.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:30:23 PM by GALFAMU »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News