News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Dr. Portia Shields to be Interim President of TN State  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Dr. Portia Shields to be Interim President of TN State
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »
Dr. Portia Shields to Serve as TSU’s Interim President

Tennessee Board of Regents Chancellor John Morgan announced today that Dr. Portia Holmes Shields, former president of Albany State University, will serve as interim president of Tennessee State University beginning Jan. 2.

TSU’s current president, Melvin Johnson, announced in July his plans to retire on Jan. 1.

“Dr. Shields will do an excellent job leading TSU during this transition period,” said Morgan. “This is a critical time for TSU and all of higher education. Dr. Shields will provide strong leadership and quality governance to ensure TSU’s progress with accreditation re-affirmation, to enhance student success, and to prepare the campus for advancement toward the Complete College Tennessee Act.

“She brings several key characteristics that will benefit TSU in this interim period. She is a respected college leader, and she has demonstrated her ability to successfully guide a campus through a critical transition.”

Shields was chosen from a pool of candidates listed with the Registry for College and University Presidents, a national search service that assists universities and colleges around the country as they seek exceptional leadership during transition periods.

Story continues on link.....

http://tnstatenewsroom.com/2010/12/dr-portia-shields-to-serve-as-tsu-interim-president/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TennesseeStateUniversityNewsroom+%28Tennessee+State+University+Newsroom%29
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Portia Shields to be Interim President of TN State
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »
This name sound so familiar to me for some reason  :shrug:

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »
She is the former President of both Albany ST and then Concordia -Selma (AL).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:51:58 PM by Jaimac »
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »
 :o

Teeny and Little

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
Yep that's her in the Flesh. Congratulations Dr. Shields. :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
I always loved that lady.....she really seemed to care about her students....and she has personality for days...

I must have missed the announcement that Melvin Johnson stepped down....did the accreditation thing put the nail in the coffin or was he about to leave anyway?
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline TU Madman

• Assistant GM
  • King of the Low Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:22 AM »
Tough time to be changing Presidents. Especially having an Interim label.
"Winning is our Business and Business is Good"

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 05:40:10 AM »
She is the former President of both Albany ST and then Concordia -Selma (AL).

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:30:31 AM »
Dr. Shields was my President at Albany State University she is really good at (1) Student Retention (3) Image and Branding (4) SACS Accreditation (5) School PRIDE (6) She can shape a school up. She has that touch.

She still comes to Albany State events, she told us that ASU will always be home it was her first Presidency.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
When I went to the playoff game at the end of November, they announced Dr. Freeman, then they gave a shout out to Dr. Rivers and  Mrs. Rivers, and the Fort Valley people applauded....then they announced that Dr. Shields was in the building and you would have thought they announced a celebrity...the applause she got was strong and cheerful.  

If I was Dr. Freeman, I would have been offended :lol:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:39:02 AM by Valley Girl »

sutherngeorgian

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:26:40 AM »
Good deal. I like Dr. Shields. I met her in 2004 and she is a mess. I spoke with her and she really instilled a lot of school spirit at Albany State. The only knock I have against her is she stay away from the bottle a tad and she will be alright. She will come to a sporting a event a little tipsy sometimes, but look over her please. :angel:

that's all...

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
Good deal. I like Dr. Shields. I met her in 2004 and she is a mess. I spoke with her and she really instilled a lot of school spirit at Albany State. The only knock I have against her is she stay away from the bottle a tad and she will be alright. She will come to a sporting a event a little tipsy sometimes, but look over her please. :angel:

that's all...

But that's why she had such personality....she is a hoot :lol:

A lot of these professors and VP's are what I call "weekend drunks".....the only difference is they wait until the night time and the party.....she didn't wait ;D

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
Hopefully, she will cut out that 4hrs ghetto a-- homecoming parade. :no:
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:55 AM »
Hopefully, she will cut out that 4hrs ghetto a-- homecoming parade. :no:
:lol: :lol:.........now was that nice? I'm assuming you're referring to the TSU HC parade, which, I have to admit, has deteriorated in quality over the last several years.  The damn thing has pretty much now been reduced to a procession of entrants from every negro beauty and hair salon within a 30 miles radius of Nashville.  :(

As for Dr. Shields.......................guys, this thread has been pretty revealing because the most folks know about this lady here at Ground Zero is the stuff derived from her official bio.  And that includes, of course, references to her prior stints at Albany State and Concordia.

It was reported that the "interim" tag for her will not change, i.e., it was agreed that she will NOT be a candidate for the permanent position.  And given the recent report that the accrediting agency have found some things with which they are not pleased, the speculation is that Dr. Shields was likely hired to "clean house".

The problems at TSU are long, deep, and SYSTEMIC, and something or someone needs to RADICALLY change the culture out there.

Query for those acquainted with this lady's leadership style: How likely is it that Dr. Shields will effect MAJOR changes at TSU during the period of her interim presidency?

Thanks.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News