News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Disdain for the uneducated black  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Cub 7

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Disdain for the uneducated black
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:57 AM »
The library at Fayetteville State is named after author Charles Chestnut.  A prominent African American author.  He penned many books. “The House Behind the Cedars” is the one I’m most familiar.  Some of it I believe is from his time spent in segregated Fayetteville.   We celebrate his works at FSU with the Charles Chestnut Arts Festival.  He was a fair skinned man of mixed race.  After reading a little more about him I found out he had little concern with the poor and uneducated Negro.  Only about blacks that were of mixed race like him and the obstacles they faced.  There is other prominent African Americans that other HBCU’s hold in high esteem with that same view.  Does or should that have any effect of where we place them in our institutions or hearts? 

Offline Lonewolf

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotmail.com
Re: Disdain for the uneducated black
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:41:29 AM »
I think you have to look at the time he came from. I don`t think you can judge them by today`s standards.
Was lost in Seoul Korea,finding my way in Tokyo, Japan.

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »
I agree with the Maroon Tiger. 

The time in which Chestnut lived has to be taken into consideration because it shaped his views.  Remember he lived at a time when Blacks had not long been freed from slavery.  The 'color thing' within the race was very much alive and heavily influenced life for many.  Other things such as having been born free or being educated were factors in life too.
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
Chestnut is one of my favorite authors. House Behind the Cedars is a must read tragic love story. It makes me think of Nella Larson's book Passing, but I digress.

If we look at the archives of all of our beloved HBCUs, we will see photos of the first groups of students. The majority of the students photographed as the first classes to graduate are extremely fair skinned. In addition, when one looks at the pictures of the founders of Black Greek Lettered Organizations, the majority of those pictured are also fair skinned individuals. Chestnut came at a time when social status, class, and ability to advance was very much tied to skin tone and hair texture.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:17:17 AM »
 :nod: :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:05 AM »
I never hear rap songs today about educated people. At least educated blacks attempted to show the uneducated blacks in literature(although not Chestnut apparently)

Mamba blood forever.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »

If we look at the archives of all of our beloved HBCUs, we will see photos of the first groups of students. The majority of the students photographed as the first classes to graduate are extremely fair skinned. In addition, when one looks at the pictures of the founders of Black Greek Lettered Organizations, the majority of those pictured are also fair skinned individuals. Chestnut came at a time when social status, class, and ability to advance was very much tied to skin tone and hair texture.
.........could not agree more with what is expressed here^^^^^.  

But, sadly, even in 2010, perhaps to a lesser degree, negroes are STILL hung up on skin tone and hair texture.   :o

Offline Cub 7

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
All valid points but what about compassion for people in the same plight as you.  What about moving the whole race through those times of segreation.  What about "lifting the veil of ignorance"  Was that only for some?

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
Some of us are old enough to remember the paper bag test... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »

:nod:

Sad to say, those things still go on today...to a lesser degree.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »
Some of you are not being fair to biracial race people. They are not black, they are not white, they're mixed which has it's won unique set of issues. It's interesting when you sit down and talk to these people and hear their pains and struggles. They need a voice and need someone to advocate for them. We often talk about Obama, and want to claim him as black. He's not black, he's not white. Forget what race is on the birth certificate, that is society's doing. It's who you are on the inside that really matters.
Today's young biracial person is not identifying with either side and will get upset when you try to push them either way. When you have a white mother and a black father, why should you have to deny either by picking a side?

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
I agree with those who say we have to remember the times and the thinking back then.

But we can honor/recognize people like Mr. Chestnut, but not carry on those same practices.

Years ago, I was at Howard with my parents for an event and while we were waiting, a group of Nursing alums (from the late 40's early 50's) were taking  pictures.

I'm staring because there was not one brown face in the group. And my mother had to remind me what I'm seeing was very typical of that generation.

But it is sad that some of us are STIll stuck in that mindset of elitism and colorism.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:08:50 PM by GALFAMU »
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
America is definitely color conscious. Black Americans are most certainly color-struck. We are still very much overly aware of skin tone.

A couple weeks ago, my four year old niece began telling people she was white and that the rest of the family was black ( you had to hear how much disdain she had in her voice when saying black) and she is just a child. Clearly, someone had told her that she looked white. She is the lightest of our family and has lighter eyes and hair.

We are all affected by these projections and the only thing we can do to combat it is to not pass these things on to our children and educate them once they hear these things outside of the home.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 02:45:15 PM »
Bearforlife, how bout I  heard a little girl try to explain to us that she is MEXICAN....but...SHE AIN'T....SHE BLACK!    ::)

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
America is definitely color conscious. Black Americans are most certainly color-struck. We are still very much overly aware of skin tone.

A couple weeks ago, my four year old niece began telling people she was white and that the rest of the family was black ( you had to hear how much disdain she had in her voice when saying black) and she is just a child. Clearly, someone had told her that she looked white. She is the lightest of our family and has lighter eyes and hair.

We are all affected by these projections and the only thing we can do to combat it is to not pass these things on to our children and educate them once they hear these things outside of the home.

Some of these kids get that crap from TV and their friends, too.  I cannot stand hear teenagers and adults use the term "good hair", especially around children.  I'm also sick of hearing Black people try to claim some small percentage of Native American or Latino blood in their bloodline.   ::)   African-Americans have done more for this country (foundation, inventions, music, food, fashion, culture, literature, politics, etc.) than any other minority group but for some reason a lot of young people think that being Black is negative for some reason.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News