News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: OS' Favorite Governor...  (Read 1120 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
OS' Favorite Governor...
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
Mississippi Gov Haley Barbour Lauds Segregationist Group

Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour's profile in the Weekly Standard  is getting a lot of attention for Barbour's commentary on the civil rights movement. Born in 1947, Barbour grew up amid the civil rights struggle that has come to define much of Mississippi's twentieth century history. So it has struck many political writers as bizarre that Barbour insists the period was largely uneventful. "I just don't remember it as being that bad."
Barbour is also drawing criticism for his praise of a group called the Citizens Council (previously known as the White Citizens Council), the local chapter of which Barbour says helped to curb racial tension in his hometown. The Citizens Council is typically described as a Southern white supremacist group.

* What Is The Citizens Council?  Talking Points Memo's Eric Kleefeld gives a rundown:

The White Citizens Council movement was founded in Mississippi in 1954, shortly after the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision that outlawed segregated public schools, and was dedicated to political activities opposing civil rights--notably boycotts of pro-civil rights individuals in Barbour's hometown, as opposed to Barbour's recollection of actions against the Klan. It was distinguished from the Klan by the public self-identification of its members, and its image of suits and ties as opposed to white robes and nooses.

In 1998, American Conservative Union head David Keene barred the Citizens Council's modern incarnation, the Council of Conservative Citizens, from the annual CPAC conference: "we kicked [them] out of CPAC because they are racists."
Asking for a friend...

Trump's half brother in Kenya

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: OS' Favorite Governor...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
I try not to stereotype these southern white boys by their manner of speech, but EVERYTHING about dude just reeks of bigotry and intolerance.

If I'm not mistaken, is not dude either the current or most recent past chair of the Republican Governors Association?  And is he not also a current or past candidate for chair of the RNC?

If this is who the GOP wants representing them while a black man is POTUS, then I'll take my chances on Obama being re-elected.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »
I try not to stereotype these southern white boys by their manner of speech, but EVERYTHING about dude just reeks of bigotry and intolerance.

Don't leave out Lindsey Graham, wit' his sweet self... :nod:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:44:56 PM by soflorattler »
Asking for a friend...

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
Yea and was going around saying he went to an integrated school when that was proven a lie, also said when he went to ole miss it was FULLY integrated--and when you look at his timeline at Ole Miss the only black student at the time was James Meredith.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
Yea and was going around saying he went to an integrated school when that was proven a lie, also said when he went to ole miss it was FULLY integrated--and when you look at his timeline at Ole Miss the only black student at the time was James Meredith.

In his eyes, that's about as "fully" as it should've been...
Asking for a friend...

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »
For conservative governors add Sam Brownback (Kansas), Nathan Deal (Georgia), and John Kasich (Ohio) in January.

Offline Blackcaesar2k5

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://thebookwiz.com/70279
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:33 AM »
Barbour taking a page from his late friend Lee Atwater and former Mississippi Senator Trent Lott..

You guys failed too mention nutjobs such as Jim Demint, Jeff Sessions, George Allen and good old John Corynthin...

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »
For people of his ilk Black people are  a source of entertainment and paternalistic  amusement. I'll never forget seeing him talk about being around Black people and speaking about the family maid and crying in that interview.

Any conversation with Black men of the subject  outside of sports particular college football is usually negative. President Obama scares them to the core.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »

Don't leave out Lindsey Graham, wit' his sweet self... :nod:

I think that South Carolina's Jim DeMint is worse.

Offline Blackcaesar2k5

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://thebookwiz.com/70279
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:30 AM »
the worst of the bunch is no other than Alabama Junior Senator Jeff Sessions...

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »
BARBOUR-PALIN 2012!!!!!

Grits and Snowflakes!!!

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
 :lmao: :lmao:
Asking for a friend...

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »
BARBOUR-PALIN 2012!!!!!

Grits and Snowflakes!!!

O0
.........this stupid a-- woman might be on the ballot in 2012, but your boy Haley shot himself in the foot praising the White Citizens Council and all.  He has been BARBEQUED in the media for his remarks all over the country, and has been back pedaling like no tomorrow.  But ole boy is TOAST as far as being a viable presidential candidate in 2012 or beyond.  :nod:

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
"Barbour is an Unreconstructed Southerner": Prof. John Dittmer on Mississippi Governor’s Praise of White Citizens’ Councils

Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour is facing a national controversy for praising the role of the White Citizens’ Councils, which opposed racial integration in the 1950s and 1960s. In addition, Barbour recalled the civil rights struggle in his hometown, Yazoo City, Mississippi, saying, "I just don’t remember it as being that bad." We speak with John Dittmer, Professor Emeritus of History at DePauw University in Indiana.

JOHN DITTMER: Well, in terms of the watermelon comment, Haley was just being a good old boy. But I think the larger implications of that and other statements are that Barbour and those like him—and I think it’s important to know that he’s not the only one who shares these feelings—the people who are in power in the South today are the sons and daughters of the people who were in power in the '50s and who were members of the Citizens' Council. So Barbour’s generation then went through the civil rights movement, but they didn’t seem to learn very much from it. I wouldn’t put them in the classification of Holocaust deniers. They admitted that slavery and Jim Crow existed, but they said it wasn’t such a big deal. As Barbour said, when there was a controversy over the governor of Virginia not mentioning slavery when talking about the Civil War, Barbour said it didn’t amount to diddly.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News