News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Obama’s supporters will come back to their senses  (Read 576 times)

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Obama’s supporters will come back to their senses
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
BY: Anthony L. Hall

I’m on sick leave. I’m getting sicker watching far-left Democrats "Jimmy Carterize" President Obama over the compromise he struck with Republicans to effectively extend Bush-era tax cuts for the rich in exchange for extending unemployment benefits for the poor. They seem even more determined now than far-right Republicans are to see Obama’s presidency fail.

I understand why they are so beside themselves. This was probably the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back when it comes to Obama reneging on campaign promises that far-left Democrats thought they could believe in.

A pragmatist

I know and accept that the key to Obama’s appeal as a transformative politician was his pragmatism. In an October 2006 commentary entitled "Run Obama Run," I was also mindful that the bane of his presidency would be left-wing ideologues who would mistake his pragmatism for weakness.

I wasn’t surprised when he began governing just like George W. Bush regarding "war-on-terror" tactics that routinely condemned during the presidential campaign. Given this, it is hardly surprising that Obama is now reneging on his promise to end the Bush tax cuts that have favored millionaires and billionaires. It is the only pragmatic thing to do under the circumstances.

There’s scant evidence to support Republican assertions that these tax cuts will stimulate jobs. (All they stimulated during the Bush administration were huge deficits and high unemployment.) But nothing demonstrates how ignorant, hysterical, and misguided left-wing Democrats’ rage is quite like their fulminating about Obama not fighting hard enough against the Bush tax cuts; i.e., arguing that "he caved."

Obama spent the entire summer and fall decrying these cuts and warning about what dire consequences would befall the country if Republicans had their way. Still, Republicans gave Democrats a "shellacking" in midterm elections. Now they will have their way. That’s democracy.

‘Hostage takers’

I’ll quote some of what Obama proffered during last week’s press conference:

"...(O)n the Republican side, this is their holy grail, these tax cuts for the wealthy. This is – seems to be their central economic doctrine...(U)nless we had 60 votes in the Senate at any given time, it would be very hard for us to move this forward…

"...I felt that the middle-class tax cuts were being held hostage to the high-end tax cuts.  I think it’s tempting not to negotiate with hostage-takers, unless the hostage gets harmed...the hostage was the American people and I was not willing to see them get harmed...I’m focused on making sure that tens of millions of hardworking Americans are not seeing their paychecks shrink on January 1st just because the folks here in Washington are busy trying to score political points…And in exchange for a temporary extension of the high-income tax breaks – a policy that I opposed but that Republicans are unwilling to budge on – this agreement preserves additional tax cuts for the middle class that I fought for and that Republicans opposed two years ago…

"...This is the public option debate all over again.  So I pass a signature piece of legislation where we finally get health care for all Americans, something that Democrats had been fighting for a hundred years, but because there was a provision in there that they didn’t get that would have affected maybe a couple of million people, even though we got health insurance for 30 million people and the potential for lower premiums for 100 million people, that somehow that was a sign of weakness and compromise...(I)n order to get stuff done, we’re going to compromise…

"Take a tally.  Look at what I promised during the campaign.  There’s not a single thing that I’ve said that I would do that I have not either done or tried to do.  And if I haven’t gotten it done yet, I’m still trying to do it…"

Enough said about the substance of this matter.  Unfortunately, far-left Democrats seem more interested in Obama’s style in dealings with Republicans than in what substance he derives from those dealings.

"To thine own self be true," Obama.  Far-left Democrats will come to their senses soon enough.

Anthony L. Hall is a Bahamian native with an international law practice in Washington, D.C. Read his columns and daily weblog at www.theipinionsjournal.com.

TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
Re: Obama’s supporters will come back to their senses
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
I hope so......before it is too late.

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »
I hope so......before it is too late.

O0
Don't worry....they don't have a choice. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »
DON'T WORRY.  WE NEVER REALLY LEFT HIM. 
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:19 PM »

Fan,  You are quite correct (so is highlander) about many and perhaps even most Obama supporters, myself included, but it is the relative levels of enthusiasm that affect voter turnout and therefore the results.

Turn out was the key to Obama's 2008 victory.  Lack of Dem/Ind/Progressive turnout and more enthusiasm on The Right led to the 2010 shellacking.  If Obama had been on the ballot, the Dems would have had a much better results, but in the context of this discussion we would know for sure if his supporters are still with him when it matter most - on election day.

O0

Long Live Killmonger!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »

Fan,  You are quite correct (so is highlander) about many and perhaps even most Obama supporters, myself included, but it is the relative levels of enthusiasm that affect voter turnout and therefore the results.

Turn out was the key to Obama's 2008 victory.  Lack of Dem/Ind/Progressive turnout and more enthusiasm on The Right led to the 2010 shellacking.  If Obama had been on the ballot, the Dems would have had a much better results, but in the context of this discussion we would know for sure if his supporters are still with him when it matter most - on election day.

O0

AN ASTUTE ASSESSMENT.  POLITICS IS THE ART OF COMPROMISE.  I LIKE MANY DEMOCRATS ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE LEANING TO THE RIGHT AND CENTER THE PRESIDENT HAS EXECUTED IN RECENT WEEKS.  HOWEVER, I ALSO REALIZE THAT HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NO LOAF AT ALL AND THAT WE MUST SOMETIMES TAKE A STEP BACK BEFORE WE CAN TAKE TWO STEPS FORWARD.  I UNDERSTAND THAT THE PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN THE BEST OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN LIGHT OF RECENT POLITICAL REALITIES.  HE STILL HAS MY UNWAVERING SUPPORT; PARTICULARLY WHEN THE ALTERNATIVES ARE CONSIDERED.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »

O0

AN ASTUTE ASSESSMENT.  POLITICS IS THE ART OF COMPROMISE.  I LIKE MANY DEMOCRATS ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE LEANING TO THE RIGHT AND CENTER THE PRESIDENT HAS EXECUTED IN RECENT WEEKS.  HOWEVER, I ALSO REALIZE THAT HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NO LOAF AT ALL AND THAT WE MUST SOMETIMES TAKE A STEP BACK BEFORE WE CAN TAKE TWO STEPS FORWARD.  I UNDERSTAND THAT THE PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN THE BEST OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN LIGHT OF RECENT POLITICAL REALITIES.  HE STILL HAS MY UNWAVERING SUPPORT; PARTICULARLY WHEN THE ALTERNATIVES ARE CONSIDERED.

I agree.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
I think that by nature Obama is a person who always looks to compromise.  I do not think he likes playing political hardball.  While compromise occurs often in politics, many politicians have stood on their principles by not compromising them.  Reagan was an example and got a lot of what he wanted.  After the democrats won the Congress in 2006, Bush still got a lot of what he wanted.  John Boehner and the republicans refused to compromise before the election, and it got him the Speaker of the House.

I thought that the White House would introduce federal budget that would include rolling back the Bush tax cuts.  I suspect it did not happen because of his DLC type of advisors like Rahm Emanuel, Larry Summer, and Tim Geithner.  The budget basically states the president's agenda and CANNOT be filibustered.

The president could still show the nation how the republicans are the party of no.  (In reality the campaign for 2012 has already started.)  We should remember that many who voted for the president stayed home.  I think that the White House could make examples about the republicans and bring back those voters.  (The tea partiers or baggers will never vote for him.)   More Americans do not like the GOP leadership despite what happened on election day.  The Democratic National Committee should realize that.

However, I think that we will see a right of center president because the House is in republican hands and the Senate has few democrats.  Democrats will need to get a spine or else 2010 will be just a dry run for 2012.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News