News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: new army officer overcame obstacles  (Read 863 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
new army officer overcame obstacles
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
full story

Cindy Petithomme is sworn in as an Army second lieutenant Saturday after her graduation from Methodist University with a degree in social work.

Cindy Petithomme found determination in her unimaginably difficult childhood - her mother's imprisonment, living in foster care, suffering abuse.

But Saturday, she stood proudly as a Methodist University graduate and newly commissioned Army second lieutenant.

Petithomme was one of 206 Methodist University students to graduate - and the only one to be commissioned. Also Saturday, Campbell University in Buies Creek held a commencement to recognize its 470 graduates.

Petithomme is a 26-year-old single mother and a veteran of overseas duty with the Army in Kuwait. She said she could have let her tough childhood hold her back in high school and college, but she kept moving ahead.

"I just kept dragging my feet, even though I wanted to stop, I kept going. That's the best thing to do in any situation, just keep going even if you don't want to," Petithomme said.

Around age 4 or 5, Petithomme said, authorities in Florida took her and two older brothers from their mother after school officials saw her with a swollen eye. She stayed in foster homes over the next several years until her aunt, Shirley English, fought for custody. Some of the foster families were abusive, she said.

She last saw her mother when she was about 10, she said. Her mother, in prison for shooting a man, died of AIDS, she said.

She said she was awkward in high school but kept up her grades and planned for college. She joined the Army in 2003 to pay for it. Several years ago, while taking classes at Methodist, Petithomme learned of a scholarship program that would lead to her degree and an officer's commission.

She said she never thought she'd be an officer, but one of her former supervisors, Sgt. Maj. Robbin Crum, saw it in her years ago in Kuwait.

"I would always tell her, 'You're going to be an officer someday,' " Crum said.

On Saturday, Crum, English and Petithomme's 3-year-old daughter, Taliyah, pinned the second lieutenant bars on Petithomme's uniform, and Crum saluted her.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline quenccu82

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: new army officer overcame obstacles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:20:18 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :)
You can walk a mile in my shoes, but you can't take a step in my feet.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:11:02 AM »
Excellent story.

Offline SIUspectator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
 :clap: :clap:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »
Another single mother...I'll save my applause.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

Almost half the black children in Britain are being raised by single parents, new Government figures reveal.

A quarter of all youngsters live in one-parent families – treble the proportion in 1972, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The biggest percentage of lone-parent households is among black ethnic groups. Forty-eight per cent of black Caribbean families have one parent, as do 36 per cent of black African households.

Single-parent families are less common among Indians (ten per cent), Bangladeshis (12 per cent), Pakistanis (13 per cent), Chinese (15 per cent) and whites (22 per cent).

Nine out of ten single-parent families are headed by mothers.

Children who grow up without their biological father are more likely to be unemployed, commit crime and leave education early, according to research by think tank Civitas.

They are also twice as likely to be homeless.

Lone-parent families are three times more likely to live in rented accommodation than couples with children and are also more likely to live in homes that fall below minimum standards.

Michael Scanlan, from the Family and Parenting Institute, said lone-parent families were 'disproportionately' likely to feel the effects of poverty compared with couples.

He added: 'Having just one income is likely to affect the child.

'It is also likely the parent is going to have to work longer hours so it minimises important contact between parent and child.

'We need to ensure single parents get access to affordable and high-quality child care.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/44768-race-divide-on-single-parents#ixzz18fh0ppsL

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why folks even try to explain stuff to that little boy ::) :no:

Congratulations to this young lady  for succeeding in spite of :nod:

A  lesson to be learned here is even when you are in a bad situation or if you make mistakes you dont have to pay for it for the rest of your life....you can rectify your situation...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:11:16 PM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »
Congratulations to Miss Petithomme.   :clap:

She did not allow her childhood circumstances to deter her in reaching her goal.   :nod:
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »

Almost half the black children in Britain are being raised by single parents, new Government figures reveal.

A quarter of all youngsters live in one-parent families – treble the proportion in 1972, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The biggest percentage of lone-parent households is among black ethnic groups. Forty-eight per cent of black Caribbean families have one parent, as do 36 per cent of black African households.

Single-parent families are less common among Indians (ten per cent), Bangladeshis (12 per cent), Pakistanis (13 per cent), Chinese (15 per cent) and whites (22 per cent).

Nine out of ten single-parent families are headed by mothers.

Children who grow up without their biological father are more likely to be unemployed, commit crime and leave education early, according to research by think tank Civitas.

They are also twice as likely to be homeless.

Lone-parent families are three times more likely to live in rented accommodation than couples with children and are also more likely to live in homes that fall below minimum standards.

Michael Scanlan, from the Family and Parenting Institute, said lone-parent families were 'disproportionately' likely to feel the effects of poverty compared with couples.

He added: 'Having just one income is likely to affect the child.

'It is also likely the parent is going to have to work longer hours so it minimises important contact between parent and child.

'We need to ensure single parents get access to affordable and high-quality child care.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/44768-race-divide-on-single-parents#ixzz18fh0ppsL

Good job telling me Caribbean men dont take care of their kids. I'm not caribbean so why should that matter?

Unlike over here, the black population in the UK isnt monolithic. I have more in common with an Arab than I will probably ever have in common with a jamaican.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
 :lmao:

:no:

This is great story that all of our kids can learn from... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Lord, remove the front teeth of my enemies so I can know them by their smile.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:06 AM »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News