News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: FOX NEWS VIEWERS ARE THE MOST MISINFORMED: STUDY  (Read 8392 times)

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Re: FOX NEWS VIEWERS ARE THE MOST MISINFORMED: STUDY
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
Another source:

Breaking? Study Finds Fox News Viewers Are The Most Misinformed

To perhaps nobody's surprise, a study released this week finds that Fox News viewers are the most misinformed of any news consumers.

The University of Maryland study, called "Misinformation and the 2010 Election," looked at "variations in misinformation by exposure to news sources," among other things, and specifically newspapers and news magazines (in print and online), network TV news broadcasts, NPR and PBS, Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN.

The study found that daily Fox News viewers, regardless of political party, were "significantly" more likely than non-viewers to erroneously believe that:

•Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)

•Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)

•The economy is getting worse (26 points)

•Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)

•The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)

•Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)

•The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)

•When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)

•And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

The study also found that as exposure to Fox News increased, so did the misinformation.

But Fox News wasn't the only offender:

Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates. Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/breaking-study-finds-fox-news-viewers-are-the-most-misinformed.php

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
Dang... the neo-cons ain' touching this one...
Asking for a friend...

Trump's half brother in Kenya

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
OS will be here after he gets back to work so he can use the government computers.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
OS will be here after he gets back to work so he can use the government computers.

Gubment???? He don't work for no Gubment.  He has a cubicle at an ambulamp chasing firm.  You know the one that begs for your biznez on TV.  He slips on the secatary's puter when she goes to lunch.  They say he shines shoes now but I heard in three years he'll be promoted to making coffee. :nod:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Lord, remove the front teeth of my enemies so I can know them by their smile.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:58:56 PM »
Full Study at:

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf

To me, this is the key excerpt:

Furthermore, those who had greater exposure to news sources were generally better informed.   
In the great majority of cases, those with higher levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. 
There were however a number of cases where greater exposure to a news source increased misinformation on a specific issue.

Those who watched Fox News almost daily were  significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that:
ƒ most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)
ƒ most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)
ƒ the economy is getting worse (26 points)
ƒ most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)
ƒ the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)
ƒ their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)
ƒ the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)
ƒ when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) 
ƒ and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

These effects increased incrementally with increasing  levels of exposure and all were statistically significant.  The effect was also not simply  a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.

For me, this overall and the bolded part is important because it separates (possibly) the bias of the news consumer from the bias of the news provider.

[I say "possibly" because of those Dems who do not support Obama and may share many viewpoints with Repubs.  The study would have been a LOT more revealing, IMO, if they had asked respondents if they were: 1)Very Conservative, 2) Conservative, 3) Moderate 4) Liberal or 5) Very Liberal. ]

If a priori viewpoints are not a factor in the increased belief in misinformation, it is a testimony to the power of propaganda!  In other words, IF a stone cold Liberal can be influenced by misinformation on Fox News (a causal relationship is beyond the scope of this study), then Conservatives watching Fox don't have a chance to get a clear picture of what is actually happening in the world.

Perhaps, but it is not clear, this study explains why it is that Olds..t called me an idiot for stating the obvious:  that Bush signed the bank bail-out.  He probably believes that most Repubs in Congress were against TARP, too.

O0

Long Live Killmonger!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
INTERESTING CONCLUSION, BUT NOT AT ALL SURPRISING.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:50 AM »
Fox news isnt even all that more biased than other news sources.

The others are just biased to a more mainstream viewpoint. If you watch TV for your news you are misinformed.

RIP Mya Lecia
11/6/2002- 17/4/2019

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
What's to touch? Did you not read that Fox viewers weren't the only viewers that are misinformed? MSNBC....NPR......PBS were in the same boat.....but you probably agree with them so it doesn't count in your mind. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
highlander,

You might want to look at the actual DATA in the study to see the difference.

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
highlander,

O0
Ah c'mon Bison....misinformed is misinformed....you can't pick and choose. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »
highlander,

O0
Ah c'mon Bison....misinformed is misinformed....you can't pick and choose. GO VIKINGS!!!

Smoke screen (Comment not valid)

Study is on MOST misinformed

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
highlander,

O0

Smoke screen (Comment not valid)

Study is on MOST misinformed
Here's the problem.....I've heard "experts" on one side say the bailout worked....I've heard " experts' on the other side say it hasn't. Who do I believe? The expert you agree with? If I don't then I must be misinformed according to the study. That's complete BS. I base my opinion on what I see on an everyday basis. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »
You may be talking apples and oranges.

What I understand the report to say is that if I watch Fox and get most of my information from them I am more misinformed than if I got my information from mostly CNN.     :shrug:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News