News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: electronic pickpocketing  (Read 287 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
electronic pickpocketing
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
be sure to watch the video.  amazing.  i wonder if cell phones are safe.

full

Thieves now have the capabilities to steal your credit card information without laying a hand on your wallet.

It's new technology being used in credit and debit cards, and it's already leaving nearly 140 million people at-risk for electronic pickpocketing.

It all centers around radio frequency identification technology, or RFID.

You'll find it in everything from your passports to credit and debit cards.

It's supposed to make paying for things faster and easier.

You just wave the card, and you've paid.

But now some worry it's also making life easier for crooks trying to rip you off.

In a crowd, Walt Augustinowicz blends right in.

And that's the problem.

"If I'm walking through a crowd, I get near people's back pocket and their wallet, I just need to be this close to it and there's my credit card and expiration date on the screen," says Augustinowicz demonstrating how easily cards containing RFID can be hacked.

Armed with a credit card reader he bought for less than $100 on-line and a netbook computer, WREG On Your Side Investigators put Augustinowicz to the test.

For about an hour he patrolled Beale Street, looking for RFID chips to read, and credit card information to steal.

"There you go," said Augustinowicz scanning one willing participant's wallet. "It's a MasterCard," he explained looking at the man's credit card number and expiration date pop up on the screen.

Even people who thought there was no way we could pick their pocket electronically without laying a hand on them, soon learned they were wrong.

"You have a SunTrust card in there," Augustinowicz explained to a second "victim." "And that's your account number and expiration date," he said showing the man the screen.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News