News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: I got harassed by Greensboro's finest tonight!  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I got harassed by Greensboro's finest tonight!
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:09 AM »
I was coming down MLK tonight on my way home from the gym when a cop zoomed in behind me and followed me for a while. Shortly thereafter he turned on his lights.
He approached the car and said he was stopping me because I had a headlight out. I was suprised becasue I just got the vehicle inspected. I asked him which one was out and he said he did not know. He replied "left or right, you have your license", he asked.  He took my license and told me to stay in the vehicle while he ran them. At that point I was like 'what the funk, if i only had a headlight out, why is he running my license." He went back to his car while i sat there waiting. I was very curious about the headlight being out becasue he could not tell me which one. So I got out and went around to the front of the car and looked because I was ready to jump into his case about it. The headlight was out and I went back and sat down. Next thing I knew robocop came out of his car yelling at me for getting out. i was like, 'what is your problem dude, I'm back in now? He started yelling, "I told you to stay in the vechicle, now get back out, I'm putting you under arrest.  I started laughing and said what for? "I told you to stay in your vehicle but you didn't, now turn around I'm cuffing you. I started laughing again and said, "oh wow I've never had hand cuffs on before, this is kind of exciting." He put the cuffs on and throws me in the back of his car. i told him, you know this is harassment you know, now get on the phone and call some other officers out here, we need witnesses." He did. While I was in the back I asked, 'how long you been on the force?' He said less than two, years. I replied,' you have a lot to learn making these rookie mistakes over a burned out headlight, against a law abiding citizen, who has never been arrested in his life.'
When he saw I had a clean record, he said, "just because you're being an a-hole I'm going to write you a citation for the burned out headlight. I laughed again and replied, you know all I have to do is get the light repaired and it will get thrown out, so you're really wasting your time and paper. You know the city is talking about budget cuts, save the paper, but do try to get me home  before  my bedtime. "

By this time the other officers arrived. And rookie jumped out trying to explain himself to them. 'I, I, he, he, he', he said. Finally a senior office came up and said 'I see you are registerd to carry a weapon do you have one? I said no. He then said, 'can we search your vehicle?" I said 'no, i don't have time for y'all to take an hour searching my car, if you want to spend two hours getting a warrant, you can but I am not going to make this easy for you because this is clearly harrassment.' Then I told him that the stupid rookie officer was punishing me because I questioned what the was doing. I then said that he put the cuffs on too tight and it hurt and ask if he could loosen them. He said no. Then i said, take me to the hospital because the cuffs are causing me pain. He goes back and talks to the rookie officer, and they came back and took me out of the car and uncuffed me.

Then I really went off on them both and told them that I would be at the police station early in the morning to file a complaint. he ask if I wanted to talk to the supervisor on duty right then I said no, i will take care of this in the morning.  Before i was done they were running to get away from me. Cat, i was so darn mad, I went home and thought about cutting my wrist with a dull butter knife so I could go back to the hospital, but I'm too scared to inflict injury on myself.  

That dude picked on the wrong black man this evening.
The reason i show my butt in situations like this is because black men have it so hard when it comes to cops. i can show out because I'm clean as a whistle and somebody got to stand up for the brothers. We don't have to accept this, even if it causes us a little inconvenience  He probablly took me as somebody over here trying to buy/sell drugs or something. He eventually found out who i was and the fact that I actaully live on in the area. If I wanted to pitch a tent on MLK and have a picnic then it is my right because it is my neighborhood.
 i just want them to be sensitive in what they do in the area. Every black person is not going to roll over.  You can stop me and tell me that my left/right light is out, but please don't profile my black a$$ in the process. i've worked too damn hard to stay on the right side of the law all these many years.   :nod:

::) OH, LAWDY, I ALMOST WENT TO JAIL TONIGHT, WHAT WAS i THINKING, TALKING BACK TO THE MAN IN UNIFORM???  :brickwall: :brickwall: Instead of sending me Christmas socks and underwear, VG and Que would have to send me $20 for canteen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:21:15 AM by Capler »

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
Re: I got harassed by Greensboro's finest tonight!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »
Wow.  I'm sorry you had to go through that , Cap.  I am glad that everything worked out in your favor, man. 

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:15:43 AM »
Follow instructions next time.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
cap, a traffic stop is one of the most dangerous things a cop can do.  he should have been able to tell you which light was out.  did he make a u-turn to get behind you.  don't get out of your vehicle during a traffic stop.  especially after the cop has returned to his vehicle.  he might have been overboard in arresting you.  especially if he didn't tell you to close your door when you began to get out.  he should have enough experience to have handled the situation better. 

as cold as it was last night in greensboro he should have patted you down for his protection and had you stand in front of his vehicle in the cold where he could observe you better while writing your ticket. 

who saw you had a permit to carry.  it should have been the cop that stopped you.  police departments have procedures for stopping people with permits to carry.   it does not appear he followed those procedures. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Chiming in on this, too... Cap, as I've posted in the past, the ink pen is the most powerful weapon that you'll even have to use on an errant LEO. Documentation is the key.

When traveling about, and you are stopped by an LEO who you feel may be profiling you, make a note of the time, location, LEO's badge number, name, and unit number. Also, ask for the name of his Watch Commander. Inform him/her (the LEO making the stop) that you intend to file a formal complaint concerning their actions that went above and beyond the perceived  reason(s) why they detained and harassed you. Be calm but direct in informing them of your intent. DO NOT DEBATE OR ARGUE! You are most likely on camera and LEOs hope that you will so that it will bolster their case for using force on you.

You can also request all video and audio recordings of the stop. Some departments charge a nominal fee. There is no expectancy of privacy because the stop was made in a public place, so the video can be requested by anyone.

Your correspondence should be given the widest distribution as possible. From the Chief/Director, to the mayor's office, to the Justice Department.

After all of that, you will be most likely "non attingo" in the "'Boro"...
Asking for a friend...

Trump's half brother in Kenya

MrSoul

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:29:06 AM »
Mr Know Everythang, your first mistake was getting out of the car. You stay put - period - no if's and's or but's about it. Not a big deal to you but to that officer, he has no idea what your intentions are.  You could have checked your headlight after he finished and sent you on your way.

I would hardly call this harassment. More a big big BIG mistake that you made which had consequences.  You still laughing, Mr Handcuffed Bear?  ;D

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »
Okay Mr. Cave Bear.....Now that you have slept on the previous night's activity, what is your course of action?  Will you follow the Rattler's advice?   :shrug:
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »
Interesting......

Capler calls it harassment, but he did have a headlamp out, and didn't follow the PO instructions.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »
Is it procedure to run every license that comes up? 

I've been pulled over for forgetting to turn my lights on, and the officer just checked my license and my papers and told me to be more careful as he sent me on my way.

I definitely wouldn't have gotten out of the car, but I would have been annoyed.  Especially if there was no accusation of speeding or anything like that.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
Once the officer couldn't tell you which light was out, all bets are off. That was the whole point for his stopping you. However, if he didn't ask you to step out of the car, you should have stayed in the car. Most cops can't stand having their "authority" questioned - even if you are right...

As soflo said, you immediately ask for badge number and name. If they refuse to give it, make sure you get the number of the squad car or the tag number. But you MUST make the report. That's the only way you are REALLY going to help make things better... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »
It's like this folk, i live on MLK and I watch hookers, whores and drug pushers stand around all damn day. I watch the police in  their cars sitting while doing nothng. I've called a thousand times. Now her come me, skipping and singing la, la, la, up MLK carring a basket of goodies to grandma's house and I get treated worst than the mean old wolf. You damn skippy I'm running thru the police department like an Ex-lax today. I'm not doing it on the basics of right or wrong either because that is how police justify their actions. Technically boy did nothing wrong, based on policy. What he did was profiled and harassed. This is what citizen groups have always compained about.
Come on now, if he really wanted to find somebody to pick on, on MLK, the street is filled with folk 24/7.
I know for a fact that the senior officer who arrived talked the litttle pecker down. He was doing everything in his power to flex his will and pin somethning on me because i had the nerve to talk and laugh at him. All he could come up with was a headlight citation. Do you know how the department is going to view that? They will be like, "baby boy you wasted your pin and paper because this person don't have a history of such violations."
What he failed to do was use good common judgement. The fact that i had a  carry permit should have told him something. They don't give those to any yahoo.  The other office basically told him to let me go because there was nothing here. He also figured that I had a little bit of intelligence and was not going to let this incident stay in the streets. Trust me, officers are very sensitive  when complaints are made against them. Now he going to have to defend himself  within his department.
I don't expect anything to come of this, i only want to make some noise and bring an issue to light:  

1) Becareful who you pick on

2) Back off when there is nothing to be gained

3) Don't take it personal when someone questions your authority.

4) Know where you are and choose your battle. When criminals are hanging on MLK like berries on a vine, don't run down the good citizens. If you do so, say "I'm sorry Mr. Capler but do get that light fixed and have a good night."

Is that too much to ask for?  i may not get it, but I sho damn going to insist on a little respect and consideration.  

Oh and J, after a good night sleep i usually wake up mad because i stew on stuff during the night.    

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
WilE, they may run every tag, but they don't run every drivers license. That takes time to do. he was doing a background check based on where he stopped me. He was looking for outstanding warrents: non child support... or anything to pin on me. i guess he figured every black man has a baby some where he is not supporting so surely he could find something to teach me a lesson.  :shrug: His little a$$ going to know who the teacher is now.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »

What he failed to do was use good common judgment.  :nod:

Trust me, officers are very sensitive  when complaints are made against them. Now he going to have to defend himself  within his department.

When up for promotions and raises, letters in their files like these weigh very heavy against them.
Asking for a friend...

Trump's half brother in Kenya

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »
The police department is a trip. Apparently they rather not you start a written process, they want you to talk it out with  the Sgt. first. I guess so they can talk you down?  But then they tell me he will not be back on duty until Sunday. I told them this was not acceptable, I did not want to wait till Sunday. lady was like, "well this is our policy and procedures" Next she told me that I could talk to the lieutenant. At that point i was like "wait a minute, you mean I have to get verbal permission from these folk to get permission to file a written complaint? She then told me I did not have to,  and gave me the names and addresses. Cats this is another part of the police culture. They rather contain complaints within circles. It ain't happening in this case. i'm send everybody a copy including the Police Chief.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
Well you already know the G'boro police is sweating a lot of stuff already.  They don't need headlamp gate to hit the front page of the newspaper.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News