News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Notice how narrative on poverty has changed in regards to race?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Notice how narrative on poverty has changed in regards to race?
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:20:52 AM »
Seems like the media when highlighting poverty would use the prism of race and when the faces are Black or Brown would hint that that they were lazy or somehow misusing the system in someway.

Now that the recession is hitting everyone the narrative has shifted to the resilient are making do.

I always find it facinating how the Black poor is deemed less industrious than others.

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Notice how narrative on poverty has changed in regards to race?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
Seems like the media when highlighting poverty would use the prism of race and when the faces are Black or Brown would hint that that they were lazy or somehow misusing the system in someway.

Now that the recession is hitting everyone the narrative has shifted to the resilient are making do.

I always find it facinating how the Black poor is deemed less industrious than others.
You've been watching to much CNN amd MSNBC. I've seen plenty of news stories about poor whites....particularly in Appalacha. Those stories weren't very flattering.GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »

Take a ride through any urban (city) and you'll see them sitting on their a--es waiting for the government hand out.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:28:24 PM »

Good observation.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »
They are no govenment handouts---you have to work to get welfare.

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
They are no govenment handouts---you have to work to get welfare.
You do??? GO VIKINGS!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule