News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: African American metropolitan Atlanta (Hall County) Democrat becomes Republican  (Read 2176 times)

Offline NovaSkegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Thursday, December 9, 2010

Republicans applaud Hall commissioner for party switch
Bell had long history with Democrats

Ashley Bell, former National President for the College Democrats of America, 2004 superdelegate to the Democratic National Convention and Hall County Commissioner, will join the Republican Party tomorrow, Friday December 10, 2010.

Bell is the first recent Georgia African American elected official to switch parties.

Sen. Butch Miller, left, shares a laugh with Hall County Commissioner Ashley Bell, center, and his wife Lauren Thursday during the Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce's 2010 Eggs & Issues breakfast at the Gainesville Civic Center. Bell announced his switch to the Republican Party at the annual breakfast. By SARA GUEVARA (The Times)

Hall County Commissioner Ashley Bell, with wife Lauren by his side, announces his switch to the Republican Party as Gov.-elect Nathan Deal stands by at the Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce's 2010 Eggs & Issues breakfast at the Gainesville Civic Center. By SARA GUEVARA (The Times)

By Melissa Weinman
The Gainesville Times

Commissioner Ashley Bell's decision to switch allegiances has caught the attention of Republican leaders statewide.

On Thursday, Bell announced his decision to become a Republican to a packed house at the Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce's Eggs & Issues breakfast.

Though seven state lawmakers have left the Democratic Party since the Nov. 2 general election, Bell is the first African-American officeholder in Georgia to join the Republican Party this year.

Bell's announcement is significant not only because of his record as a young leader for Georgia Democrats but also because of his race.

To the Republican establishment, Bell represents an opportunity to attract the black voters who are such a core constituency of the Democratic Party.

"Republicans ... for a number of years, have tried to recruit African Americans to run," said Charles Bullock, a political science professor at the University of Georgia.

"I think Republicans' thought is if they can showcase some African American officeholders, this may then help them make headway in attracting black voters."

Bullock said Republicans realize the Georgia electorate is becoming more diverse.

"The long term projection is that Georgia, at some point, will become a state in which there is no majority population. Whites would still be the plurality, but they would not be the majority," Bullock said.

"If those demographic trends actually do come to pass and if Republicans appeal almost exclusively to white voters ... Republicans will have found themselves hard pressed to win statewide contests."

Bell got a warm reception from some of the top names in the party Thursday.

Gov.-elect Nathan Deal called Bell "a great addition" to the party when he introduced him at the chamber of commerce event.

"I think it's an indication of what is happening in our state and that is a broadening of the positions of people who understand that conservative points of view are what the people of this state expect because that is what they themselves embrace," Deal said.

"They expect that to be embodied in their elected officials."

Georgia GOP Chairwoman Sue Everhart also praised his move.

"We are excited that Commissioner Bell will help lead the way for many other conservative African Americans to leave the Democratic Party and join the Republican Party. We welcome all conservatives with open arms," Everhart said in a news release.

"Party affiliation should not be an issue of race or geography. Mr. Bell shares the Republican Party's conservative values and belief in common sense solutions to the problems facing Georgia. I am pleased to welcome such a strong and visionary leader."

Democrats were not pleased with the announcement.

"He's a liberal Democrat. He went to the White House with President (Barack) Obama this year on a special invitation," said Eric Gray, communications director of the Georgia Democratic Party and a Hall County resident.

"It's a sham on the people of Hall County ... Ashley would turn into a Whig if he thought it would help get him elected."

Frank Chi, a spokesman for the College Democrats of America, said the organization where Bell served as national president is disappointed by the news.

"Over a year ago at an event at the White House, Ashley Bell looked me in the eye, and told me that the rumors weren't true - he wouldn't switch parties. We need politicians who stand on principle, not opportunism," Chi said. "We're disappointed in Ashley, but we're not surprised. As the College Democrats Alumni Association fosters a new generation of principled leaders, we know that Ashley Bell will be our cautionary tale."

To date, Bell, 30, has been a prominent member of the Democratic Party. Besides the College Democrats of America, he spoke at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

Bell was a policy adviser to John Edwards in his 2004 campaign along with serving as a Georgia delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 2000 and 2004.

Bell said though his Democratic resume is long, he has always considered himself conservative and realized his views are more at home in the Republican Party.

Hall County Republican Party chairman Jim Pilgrim said he is happy to welcome Bell and his wife Lauren, who was a local delegate for Obama in the 2008 presidential primary, into the local GOP chapter.

"I think he's a good fit. His record of voting at the commission meetings has been very conservative," Pilgrim said.

"I think he just has a tremendous future in front of him. Especially in the Republican party. I think it will open doors for him."

Ashley D. Bell, a Hall County native, was elected in 2008 at age 27 to become Hall County's youngest ever Commissioner and one of the youngest in the State of Georgia.

Mr. Bell is a graduate of Gainesville High, Valdosta State University, and attended law school at the University of Georgia and Louisiana State University.

He is also honored to be a 21st Century Leadership Fellow at the Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government. Commissioner Bell is an attorney and partner at Bell & Washington, LLP practicing law throughout the State of Georgia.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:10:37 AM by NovaSkegee »

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
a good move for the moment, but a bad move politically.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline MisterIkester

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Hall County?

They're gonna welcome him with open arms.
"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." -James Baldwin

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Is a Commissioner the same kind of political office as a County Supervisor here in California? GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Is a Commissioner the same kind of political office as a County Supervisor here in California? GO VIKINGS!!!

i think so.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu

Depends on what a County Supervisor Does.....a county commissioner is basically responsible for running the county government...normally there is a board of commissioners...they pass regulations, property ordinances, are responsible for county finances and carry out state laws and policies locally (taxes, courts, emergency management etc).  

My home county, Peach County has 5 commissioners....Fulton County (Atlanta) has 7

Peach County Board of Commissioners Responsibilities

Back to this...I'm not surprised...he is up in Gainesville/Flowery Branch.....it was probably only a matter of time..
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

"The long term projection is that Georgia, at some point, will become a state in which there is no majority population. Whites would still be the plurality, but they would not be the majority," Bullock said.

"If those demographic trends actually do come to pass and if Republicans appeal almost exclusively to white voters ... Republicans will have found themselves hard pressed to win statewide contests."

I think this will spell trouble for the republicans since they go after and attack African-Americans, Latinos, and Muslims to win elections.  Republicans still appealIf the democrats are smart (as in getting their people to the polls) and they always are not, they will take advantage of this very soon.

a good move for the moment, but a bad move politically.

I agree.  I think that this is political expediency or opportunism.   If his views are aligned with the Georgia republican party, which is more conservative than it was two decades ago, he will not get a lot of Black support across the state.

Depends on what a County Supervisor Does.....a county commissioner is basically responsible for running the county government...normally there is a board of commissioners...they pass regulations, property ordinances, are responsible for county finances and carry out state laws and policies locally (taxes, courts, emergency management etc).  

My home county, Peach County has 5 commissioners....Fulton County (Atlanta) has 7

Back to this...I'm not surprised...he is up in Gainesville/Flowery Branch.....it was probably only a matter of time..

I think that Gainesville has a sizeable Black population.  Flowery Branch does not.  If he said that he would not switch a year ago, people should be reminded of that.

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

VG thanks.....sounds pretty much the same. GO VIKINGS!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule