News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: This is What You Call Teamwork!!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
This is What You Call Teamwork!!
« on: December 09, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
Appalachian State Observations
By Jim Utter

jutter@charlotteobsberver.com
Posted: Sunday, Dec. 05, 2010
Appalachian State's marching band voluntarily gave up its halftime performance on Saturday so the grounds crew could clear the field of snow, which fell most of the game. The move was much appreciated by Mountaineers coach Jerry Moore. "Those kids get one shot at center stage to show their stuff and they gave that up today so we could plow that field," he said. "I've been here for 22 years and we've never played a game in the snow."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/12/05/1888092_appalachian-state-observations.html#ixzz17f5RF8Qg

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: This is What You Call Teamwork!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »
I love their attitude.  It's like, "Whatever is best for the team."  Pwc bands do support their teams to the end. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »
I can see this happening at an HBCU....seriously

I mean if the athletic dept. were to use the right wording, and let the band play their song selection from the stands, i could see this scenario playing out with the same result at some schools...

AGGIE PRIDE

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »

I mean if the athletic dept. were to use the right wording, and let the band play their song selection from the stands, i could see this scenario playing out with the same result at some schools...

It makes sense in theory.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »

Don't put your money on it.  Our bands and teams seem to be miles apart. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:08 AM »

Don't put your money on it.  Our bands and teams seem to be miles apart. 

I mean i know that BCF is a different animal than the rest of the NCAA football world (from funding, facilities, and attitudes of fans and administration) BUT, looking at this from a non bandhead perspective, If snow was covering the lines of the field to the extent that it was reported in Boone, im sure the bands themselves couldn't march during halftime b/c they need said lines also to mark position on the field, so why not just play from the stands and call it a day

AGGIE PRIDE

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:22:37 PM »

Don't put your money on it.  Our bands and teams seem to be miles apart.  

I mean i know that BCF is a different animal than the rest of the NCAA football world (from funding, facilities, and attitudes of fans and administration) BUT, looking at this from a non bandhead perspective, If snow was covering the lines of the field to the extent that it was reported in Boone, im sure the bands themselves couldn't march during halftime b/c they need said lines also to mark position on the field, so why not just play from the stands and call it a day

Point Blank, Most Bands, Including HBCU Bands, do Not Perform On Fields, If the Surface of the field is too wet and endangered of becoming damaged, too covered with snow or ice or too dangerous to perform on.

Having those facts in mind, I think it is very unfair to ever suggest that HBCU Bands Do Not do their part to cooperate with their Department of Athletics, regarding the Band's allotted Show Performance Time.

Just my View, But I respect all others.

Take Care!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:24:49 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
Well since the bulk of us act as though we would shrivel up and die if we were to get wet or if the temps drop below 50 degrees, I can't imagine that any of our marching bands would even want to take the field if there were snow on it like I saw at that App St game on Saturday. I do think that SOME of our bands would acquiesce if not performing would help keep the field in better shape for the teams to play...but again, there would be some who would still feel that they are the show and would take the field and tear it up... :nod:

Teeny and Little

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News