News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Which record has held up better over time "Thriller or "Purple Rain"  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Which record has held up better over time "Thriller or "Purple Rain"
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
Oh, but Prince could create music. Much of Prince older stuff was very original and unique. Since we are talking about the 1999 lp, lets hone in on 1999 the single. That song pulled off something that few artist can do, except for the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and a few others. 1999 didn't adhere to many music standards, ('everybody's got a bomb, we could all die here today'  ::)) and when you first heard it, it sounded like a bunch of thrown together mess.  It was simply all over the place. But in it's imperfection, it was very catchy. Here is another song that fits into the same category. Unfortunately, there was no way this could be done when the band was sober. 

Offline keithbusting

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
This is the equivalent of comparing apples to oranges. Purple Rain was the soundtrack album to the movie, Prince had a lead role. Thriller, while not a movie soundtrack did yield several singles. The video "Thriller" was a real standout and demonstrated Michael Jackson's genius on how no stone was left unturn. The result was a quality product. Frankly both records hold up quite well compared to "disco" music which can definitely be put in a time slot. A few singles from that era "Disco Inferno" "That's the way I like it" and "Do the Hustle" bring back pleasant memories for me. One thing the old school crowd have over the music consumers of today is fan loyalty and they will support the artist when she or he appears in concert whether they have a hit record out on the charts or not.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
keith, I think disco got a very bad rap back in the day. The industry, country music and rock orientated radio stations killed it. R&B was almost swept out with the trend as well. In hindsight, if you look back at disco, of course you have to find the songs because much of it was from small record labels and unknown artist, it was very good. It was basically R&B done at a faster beats per minute.

The industry tried to do 'rap' the same way, but rap did a funny little thing, it went underground and morphed onto 'hip hop'. But to be fair, the industry tried to do rock the same way, until Elvis came alone and blew the doors off the barn. Rock went on to become the industry gold standard. It's funny because I was listening to talk radio recently and they were arguing about the 2011 nominees to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. Donna Summer  LL, & Beastie Boys are on the list. Of course the rock purist were up in arms about that.  Here is the 2011 list:

·    Alice Cooper
·    Beastie Boys
·    Bon Jovi
·    Chic
·    Neil Diamond
·    Donovan
·    Dr. John
·    J. Geils Band
·    LL Cool J
·    Darlene Love
·    Laura Nyro
·    Donna Summer
·    Joe Tex
·    Tom Waits
·    Chuck Willis

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »
Agree that you have to look at Purple Rain from the soundtrack point of view... :nod:

I think this breaks down the same way I used to tell my nephews and niece when they were little and loved MJs funky briefs...Prince is a musician; Michael is an entertainer. There is no comparison btwn the two... :tiptoe:

Teeny and Little

Offline Black Panther40

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
Whew . . .

I am a Prince fan all day!!  While I certainly respect MJ, he wasn't my dude.  Capler mentioned something unique about 1999, but some may recall that When Doves Cry did not have a Bass Line.  Very cutting edge stuff. 

Prince's shows are off the hook.  I went to one  a few years ago and there were young folks . . .along with the Mayor, and a very high level SVP of Chase all kicking it together. 

Off topic . . .Lady Cab Driver is straight fire.  hot and sensual.  His "Prince" album with him shirtless with the blue background is really good. 

Adore is my all time favorite song . . . from any artist. 

Yes . . .I had jeans with the diagonal buttin fly, and a ruffle shirt.  Is that TMI?  HAHA . . .
Don't you think that's some information I'd like to know?  I like Tacos . . .

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News