News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: ben stein - charlie rangel still a hero to me  (Read 670 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
ben stein - charlie rangel still a hero to me
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
i wonder how many democrats and liberals will agree with a republican.

full story

Contributor Ben Stein says Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., is still a hero to him.

By now everyone who follows politics knows that Charles Rangel, the 20-term representative to Congress from New York's Harlem district, has been found guilty of ethics violations by the House ethics panel.

He apparently failed to report rental income from a dwelling in the Caribbean, used his office stationery for fund raising for a school named after him, and used a rent stabilized apartment for a political office.

For this, the punishment is publicly shaming by being censured.

Now, just to me (whom you all know as a lifelong Republican), Rangel's misdeeds seem like extremely trivial matters. The IRS has not prosecuted him for tax evasion. When you are a busy man, small tax issues can get lost in the shuffle.

The other two matters just seem like total and utter nothings.

But what I really want to say about Charles Rangel is that this man is a genuine American hero.

In unbelievably difficult service in the Korean War, his unit was swamped, cut off, overwhelmed by hordes of Red Chinese crossing into Korea. In the worst cold weather imaginable, under fire, starving, acting Sergeant Charles Rangel, in a black unit led mostly by white officers, took a large group of men, led them by example, lifted their morale, as they fought their way out to safety. Men were being shot, freezing, getting captured all around him, yet he got most of his men out.

For this leadership, sacrifice, and courage, Mr. Rangel was awarded a Bronze Star with a V for Valor.

After that, he served as a prosecutor, and then for 20 distinguished terms, as a member of Congress, for a time as chair of the powerful Ways and Means Committee. His erudition and fairness earned him high marks throughout his career.

Now, he has been humiliated over what seems to me like almost nothing.

Just for me, I hope that history will record that a truly great man, Charlie Rangel, a hero of the first rank, was laid low by trivial, no-account matters, censured by people who mostly have no clue of what true courage, fighting, blood and frostbite mean.

Charlie Rangel does know, and to me, he is still a hero.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: ben stein - charlie rangel still a hero to me
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »

full story

By now everyone who follows politics knows that Charles Rangel, the 20-term representative to Congress from New York's Harlem district, has been found guilty of ethics violations by the House ethics panel.

He apparently failed to report rental income from a dwelling in the Caribbean, used his office stationery for fund raising for a school named after him, and used a rent stabilized apartment for a political office.

Now, just to me (whom you all know as a lifelong Republican), Rangel's misdeeds seem like extremely trivial matters. The IRS has not prosecuted him for tax evasion. When you are a busy man, small tax issues can get lost in the shuffle.

But what I really want to say about Charles Rangel is that this man is a genuine American hero.

In unbelievably difficult service in the Korean War, his unit was swamped, cut off, overwhelmed by hordes of Red Chinese crossing into Korea. In the worst cold weather imaginable, under fire, starving, acting Sergeant Charles Rangel, in a black unit led mostly by white officers, took a large group of men, led them by example, lifted their morale, as they fought their way out to safety. Men were being shot, freezing, getting captured all around him, yet he got most of his men out.

For this leadership, sacrifice, and courage, Mr. Rangel was awarded a Bronze Star with a V for Valor.

After that, he served as a prosecutor, and then for 20 distinguished terms, as a member of Congress, for a time as chair of the powerful Ways and Means Committee. His erudition and fairness earned him high marks throughout his career.

Just for me, I hope that history will record that a truly great man, Charlie Rangel, a hero of the first rank, was laid low by trivial, no-account matters, censured by people who mostly have no clue of what true courage, fighting, blood and frostbite mean.

My only problem with this whole Rangel mess is that on the other side of the street.....Wesley Snipes is going to jail for basically the same thing. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
^^^^^^^

No you didn't say that.

Of course it's true though, and Wesley wasn't in charge of the country's tax laws.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:50:49 AM »

full story

My only problem with this whole Rangel mess is that on the other side of the street.....Wesley Snipes is going to jail for basically the same thing. GO VIKINGS!!!

Did you have a problem with Neil Bush not going to jail for being complicit in the Colorado Saving debacle back in the 80's?

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
 :offtopic: GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »
I'll take that as a "no"...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »
I'll take that as a "no"...

you are  :offtopic:  as usual.

that is typical of you and your kind. 

Offline Black Panther40

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
I have always liked Ben . . . really smart dude. 

I think Snipes was a little more diligent in his dodging . . . on crackpot advice. 
Don't you think that's some information I'd like to know?  I like Tacos . . .

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
I have always liked Ben . . . really smart dude. 

I think Snipes was a little more diligent in his dodging . . . on crackpot advice. 

^^ yeah, the Snipes comparison is a little  over the top.  In most cases like Rangel's, which involve under-reporting taxable income from non-criminal activity, the IRS will audit you, determine the tax owed, assess the tax owed and a penalty. In other words, it's handled civilly. It appears that Snipes just refused to pay and came up with some nonsensical argument as to why he shouldn't have to pay.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »
it was wrong to censure rangel.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News