News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: If You Could Have Met Any Black Person In History...  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: If You Could Have Met Any Black Person In History...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
It's better not to meet famous people you idolize. You will be so disappointment. You will learn that they are very human just like you. I've met some celebrities away from the spot light and I was like, "Damn Diana Ross, where is your hair, makeup, gowns, and jewels? You look like my moma when she gets up in the morning."  I met others at record stores and hotels and they were pure ghetto, while appearing so cool on stage and on the lp cover.  :brickwall: I'm sorry but let me have my fantasy.   

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
It's better not to meet famous people you idolize. You will be so disappointment. You will learn that they are very human just like you. I've met some celebrities away from the spot light and I was like, "Damn Diana Ross, where is your hair, makeup, gowns, and jewels? You look like my moma when she gets up in the morning."  I met others at record stores and hotels and they were pure ghetto, while appearing so cool on stage and on the lp cover.  :brickwall: I'm sorry but let me have my fantasy.   

But, you're absolutely right... :nod:

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »
^^^Of course they are human, it's called persona.The title of the thread If You Could Have Met Any Black Person in History" Not what black person you idolize. Idolization is a state of mind, manifested by ones unconscious state.
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
Yeah j but you still have an image of those folk from history in your mind. You might meet Fred Douglas and he might be a total pompous a-hole. Esther Rolle was like that in Winston (theater festival)   back in the day. She was mean, and kept ordering the security to keep fans away from her. People were like 'damn, she think she's a diva don't she?' After a while fans just ignore the hell out of her.
History tends to dress people up. We will even do it ourselves as we block out the negative and only remember the positive. I have only good memories of my college experience, but when I actually sit down and think about it, it was hell at times and I could not wait to get out of there. We block out the negative as a way of coping because everybody wants a happy ending. Then there are some who will focus on the negative. Those folk are not very pleasant to be around either. 

Offline TrueEagle

• Assistant GM
  • Asst. GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccueaf.org
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
-Marcus Garvey

-Oscar J. Cooper, Frank Coleman, Edgar A. Love, Ernest E. Just, The founders of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc  (when they were college students)

Frederick Douglas

"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepard, Founder of NCCU    :nod:

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
Lynn Whitfield in her 20's.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »
My maternal grandfather, he passed when my mom was only 6.  :'(

If I had to pick only one, it would be Booker T Washington.  I would also love to have met/meet GW Carver, Sojourner Truth, Harriett Tubman, Jacob Lawrence, Gordon Parks & Muhammad Ali

Offline Blackcaesar2k5

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://thebookwiz.com/70279
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
I would be satisfy to meet the likes of William Still, Martin Robinson Delany, Maggie Lena Walker, A.G. Gaston, Garvey, Peter Tosh, Mariah Stewart, David Walker, John Horse, Reginald F. Lewis, Augustus Jackson, Dubois, Prince Hall Colnel Charles Young and John Weldon Johnson.. I can't forget about Nat Turner, Jemmy the Congo, Toussaint L'oveture and my uncle old friend Huey P. Newton...

Offline SIUspectator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »
Jesse Owens because of his athleticism and his ability to compete successfully in a hostile environment. 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »
Met Dr. King, though I was a young boy. So probably Malcolm X or Rosa Parks or Muhammad Ali or Ron McNair
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Black Panther40

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
. . .Idolization is a state of mind, manifested by ones unconscious state.

Too many words again . . . ;D

Jesse Owens because of his athleticism and his ability to compete successfully in a hostile environment. 

Jesse Owens.  Agreed. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:35:57 PM by Black Panther40 »
Don't you think that's some information I'd like to know?  I like Tacos . . .

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News