News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Blu Ray or Not  (Read 1433 times)

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
Re: Blu Ray or Not
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
Blu Ray players are well worth it but you HAVE to have a FULL HD TV (1080P)

Offline Eagle Banker

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Heritage First Credit Union
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
In agreement with the PRO arguments for Blu Ray.  My only beef is, the disks take forever to load.

Those with BR players, do you experience this?  I have Sony.
M & G mine takes a little while too.  But they are worth the wait...
North Carolina Central University, Eagle Pride Amplified!!!!

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »
If you have an older blu-ray try updating your firmware. put your model number in  Google alone with "firmware' to find it. My 2 year old player was real slow too and I mentioned it to a sales person at HHGreg. He told me to that and it helped a lot. I bought a new one a month ago and it is very fast. I suggest you not buy el cheapo players. Stay with the major brands, they will offer more support.  Oh, all players have a USB port on the back and a menu option to update firmware.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
The firmware is/should be updated.  It's connected to the internet.  Maybe it's the brand I have, Sony.   :shrug:

Offline Shelt from Skegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
M&G how much load time are you talking?  More than 5 seconds?  More than 10?

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
M&G how much load time are you talking?  More than 5 seconds?  More than 10?

Oh yeah more than 10 sec.  It may be the disks themselves if they have a lot of extra content.  I haven't timed them, but I may start just to see if  content is the issue.
As was previously mentioned, unless it's an action movie or something with a lot of visual effects the blu ray is really not necessary.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Some can take a minute or so to load up - its content driven....the newer discs come with tons of content and will take some time to load.  we fire everything up, start the popcorn and by the time folks are settled in, the movie starts...its become part of our 'process' when watching a BR movie....

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 03:46:02 PM »
The firmware is/should be updated.  It's connected to the internet.  Maybe it's the brand I have, Sony.   :shrug:

You got to go look for it. Only Apple,  Microsoft and a few others send you or seek out automatic updates on software, -I think. ::)

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
On my Sony Blu Ray player, if it's connected to the internet, and I'm attempting to stream some video, and a firmware update is available, the unit will alert to it.  I then have to initiate the download.

But, I rarely stream video.  I guess I need to check monthly just to keep it up to date.

Offline Shelt from Skegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I guess I've never noticed the loading time as overly long.  I've never encountered a load time of a minute that I can recall.  I'll try some of my blu rays tonight just to see. 

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News