News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Blu Ray or Not  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Pmist

• Assistant GM
  • Class of 2007
    • View Profile
Blu Ray or Not
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
OK guys, need some help on this one.....

Thinking about buying a Blu Ray player and  I wanted to make the best decision possible.  What makes them so much better than regular DVD players? Is it worth the upgrade? Which ones are the best one to get? Do you need to buy a new sound system to accommodate this new player?    :shrug:

Help!

FVSU BMMB

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Blu Ray or Not
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
All I know their DVDs   cost and arm&leg.
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
What makes them so much better than regular DVD players?
They typically have better/sharper graphics and sound vs traditional discs.  Also the special features that are now in BR are awesome.  We have 3 BR's and they are all synched to the wireless network in the house, so we can download Netflix and other content wirelessly and watch spot away.  Not all have that capability.

Is it worth the upgrade?
That is something I can't say as it really boils down to what's important to you.  At the current price points, I would not consider buying a regular, conventional DVD player today.

Which ones are the best one to get?
Sony invented it and has perfected it.  The best one for the money is the Sony PS3.  You get a BR and a system if you need/want it.  I personally think Sony put the best one in the PS3.  We have a Sony BR player in our media theater in the basement and it does very well.  I gan get new drivers updated via the wireless router very quickly when needed.  Samsung also has nice, affordable BR players that will last a few years as the internals are very strong and solid.

Do you need to buy a new sound system to accommodate this new player?
No.  The BR we have in the kids bonus room is not on HDMI and works well and is being pushed by a 10 year old Onkyo receiver.  The only caveat is you may want to get a TV that has 1080i/p resolution.  You can always connect the sound via RCA cables but will see the dramatic difference with the TV being on HDMI cabling.  And don't get goofy and spend a ton of cash on fancy HDMI cables...get the basic stuff and call it a day.  Monster makes a ton of $$ on folks when you really won't be able to see nor hear that much of a difference vs lower priced cables.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
OK guys, need some help on this one.....

Thinking about buying a Blu Ray player and  I wanted to make the best decision possible.  What makes them so much better than regular DVD players? Is it worth the upgrade? Which ones are the best one to get? Do you need to buy a new sound system to accommodate this new player?    :shrug:

Help!

Not sure if you are into gaming but you can use a Playstation 3 or Xbox in the same capacity. there is a differeence.I  use it for big sprawling event movies.I wouldn't buy "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" on Blu-ray but I  did buy "Kingdom of heaven" if you know what I mean.

Offline Eagle Banker

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Heritage First Credit Union
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:03:58 PM »
Pmist,
Blu Ray Players are great but can only be fully utilized on a HDTV with 1080P resolution.  The blu ray player is the only widely used dvd format that provides a true HD signal.  You will also need to use Blu Ray dvds to reach true 1080P.

If you currently have a 1080P High Definition television and have Directv, then your HD channels are showing in 1080i which is one level below 1080P.  That is the clarity (or better) that you can expect from your DVDs with a Blu Ray player.

The cost of Blu Ray players have come down considerably.  I would recommend a Blu Ray player that also has the capability to connect to a wireless network and stream video from netflix and music from online radio sites such as Pandora.

I have a Samsung Blu Ray player because my HD television is also Samsung but there are lots of highly rated Blu Ray players out there.

I hope this helps, good luck. 
North Carolina Central University, Eagle Pride Amplified!!!!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:44:35 PM »
In agreement with the PRO arguments for Blu Ray.  My only beef is, the disks take forever to load.

Those with BR players, do you experience this?  I have Sony.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:13:20 AM »
There is a feature if you have a webcam to comment on movies during certain points which is cool.

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
Pmist,
Blu Ray Players are great but can only be fully utilized on a HDTV with 1080P resolution.  The blu ray player is the only widely used dvd format that provides a true HD signal.  You will also need to use Blu Ray dvds to reach true 1080P.

If you currently have a 1080P High Definition television and have Directv, then your HD channels are showing in 1080i which is one level below 1080P.  That is the clarity (or better) that you can expect from your DVDs with a Blu Ray player.

The cost of Blu Ray players have come down considerably.  I would recommend a Blu Ray player that also has the capability to connect to a wireless network and stream video from netflix and music from online radio sites such as Pandora.

I have a Samsung Blu Ray player because my HD television is also Samsung but there are lots of highly rated Blu Ray players out there.

I hope this helps, good luck. 

You can get a full surround sound system with a built in Blu-ray player f0or less than $300 now.  Also, as 87 stated, get you some HDMI cables, but not the $100 Monster Cables.  I use Accoustic Research HDMI cables available from HH Gregg.  Just like Monster, without paying for the name.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Shelt from Skegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
In agreement with the PRO arguments for Blu Ray.  My only beef is, the disks take forever to load.

Those with BR players, do you experience this?  I have Sony.

M&G, I have not experienced that (disc taking a long time to load).  I have a Sony PS3 as my blu-ray player.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »
You may as well buy the Blu Ray because the regular DVD players are being phased out. They are running like $19 now. Even a basic blu ray is dirt cheap now.

Offline Pmist

• Assistant GM
  • Class of 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Thanks guys. I will take all of this in account and if I purchase one I will take a picture of it and post it on here. :nod:

FVSU BMMB

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 02:18:26 PM »
Thanks guys. I will take all of this in account and if I purchase one I will take a picture of it and post it on here. :nod:

Ooooh, can't wait to see it.  :lol:

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
You may as well buy the Blu Ray because the regular DVD players are being phased out. They are running like $19 now. Even a basic blu ray is dirt cheap now.

They are STILL selling new VHS tapes you know. :lol:

DVDs will be around for another 20 years easy.... ;)

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

They are STILL selling new VHS tapes you know. :lol:

I don't believe you. You can't even buy a new VCR. The only place I've see VHS tapes is at Goodwill.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »
I need some VCR tapes -  for real.  

You can buy a new VCR.  They come as combo VCR/DVD recorders.  Walmart has some, and of course online.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:35:12 PM by Maroon and Gray »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News