News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Somali born teenager arrested in plot to blow up Xmas ceremony in Oregon  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

The FBI thwarted an attempted terrorist bombing in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square before the city's annual tree-lighting Friday night, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Oregon.

A Corvallis man, thinking he was going to ignite a bomb, drove a van to the corner of the square at Southwest Yamhill Street and Sixth Avenue and attempted to detonate it.

However, the supposed explosive was a dummy that FBI operatives supplied to him, according to an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint signed Friday night by U.S. Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, a Somali-born U.S. citizen, was arrested at 5:42 p.m., 18 minutes before the tree lighting was to occur, on an accusation of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction. The felony charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The arrest was the culmination of a long-term undercover operation, during which Mohamud had been monitored for months as his alleged bomb plot developed.

"The device was in fact inert, and the public was never in danger," according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

The investigation involved the FBI, Oregon State Police, Portland Police Bureau, Corvallis Police Department and Lincoln County Sheriff's Office.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud
Mohamud will appear in U.S. District Court in Portland on Monday.

"This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people -- even here in Oregon -- who are determined to kill Americans," said Oregon U.S. Attorney Dwight Holton. "The good work of law enforcement protected Oregonians in this case -- and we have no reason to believe there is any continuing threat arising from this case."

According to the FBI affidavit, the case began in August 2009 when Mohamud was in e-mail contact with an unindicted associate overseas who was believed to be involved in terrorist activities. In December 2009, while the unindicted associate was in a frontier province of Pakistan, Mohamud and the associate discussed the possibility of Mohamud traveling to Pakistan to participate in violent jihad.

The associate allegedly referred Mohamud to a second associate overseas and provided him with a name and e-mail address. In the months that followed, Mohamud made several unsuccessful attempts to contact the second associate.

Ultimately, an FBI undercover operative contacted Mohamud in a June 2010 e-mail under the guise of being an associate of the first unindicted associate.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:52:08 AM by Bison 4 Life »

Online Optimusprime

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Somali born teenager arrested in plot to blow up Xmas ceremony in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
First of all, this guy is in for a long legal process. 

Second, YOU FOOL!!!

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »

Second, YOU FOOL!!!
:nod:
WHAT THE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WAS HE THINKING OR SMOKING? I just would like to know why he wanted to do such a thing?
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:21:29 PM »
HE IS GOING TO HAVE QUITE  FEW YEARS TO CONTEMPLATE THE ERROR OR HIS WAYS.

Second, YOU FOOL!!!
WHAT THE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WAS HE THINKING OR SMOKING? I just would like to know why he wanted to do such a thing?
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »
HE IS GOING TO HAVE QUITE  FEW YEARS TO CONTEMPLATE THE ERROR OR HIS WAYS.

Second, YOU FOOL!!!

the problem is he doesn't think he has done anything wrong.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
Somali are cool people.

Loyal as all get out, and strong with their love for god.

My best friend back in school was from Mogadishu. We use to skip school and chew khat. :lol:

I use to wear her headscarf too on days it was hot and she didnt want to.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 04:40:51 PM »
This was entrapment too

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
Neymar,

I guess this guy trying to maim and kill hundreds means little? ::)

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Neymar,

I guess this guy trying to maim and kill hundreds means little? ::)

If we are in the business from stopping people from dying, then I guess we should arrest people who smoke cigarettes eh?

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
This was entrapment too
The articles stated that he tried to contact someone and the FBI did not contact him.
Let us look at what the law says:
In criminal law, entrapment is constituted by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.
However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime.

It appears that the person in question was willing to commit the crime and was searching for help in committing the crime; thus, no entrapment.
Why would you support a person willing to do such a terrible thing?

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
This was entrapment too
The articles stated that he tried to contact someone and the FBI did not contact him.
In criminal law, entrapment is constituted by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.
However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime.

It appears that the person in question was willing to commit the crime and was searching for help in committing the crime; thus, no entrapment.

They set up a false scenario for him....that is entrapment.

I'm not supporting him, but dont you think there are enough African people in jail in America without FBI agents making up false scenarios to catch more of them?

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
[They set up a false scenario for him....that is entrapment.

I'm not supporting him, but dont you think there are enough African people in jail in America without FBI agents making up false scenarios to catch more of them?

The mere creation of a  false scenario by law enformcement agents is not entrapment.

Ninth Circuit Model Criminal Jury Instructions
6.2 ENTRAPMENT

The defendant contends that [he] [she] was entrapped by a government agent. The government has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entrapped. The government must prove either:

1. the defendant was predisposed to commit the crime before being contacted by government agents, or

2. the defendant was not induced by the government agents to commit the crime.

When a person, independent of and before government contact, is predisposed to commit the crime, it is not entrapment if government agents merely provide an opportunity to commit the crime. In determining whether the defendant was predisposed to commit the crime before being approached by government agents, you may consider the following:

1. whether the defendant demonstrated reluctance to commit the offense;

2. the defendant’s character and reputation;

3. whether government agents initially suggested the criminal activity;

4. whether the defendant engaged in the criminal activity for profit; and

5. the nature of the government’s inducement or persuasion.

In determining whether the defendant was induced by government agents to commit the offense, you may consider any government conduct creating a substantial risk that an otherwise innocent person would commit an offense, including persuasion, fraudulent representations, threats, coercive tactics, harassment, promises of reward, or pleas based on need, sympathy or friendship.

http://207.41.19.15/web/sdocuments.nsf/ddfcae883f401d45882576f100661bbb/0340f460973794d8882576fc007c37a0?OpenDocument

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:08:00 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 07:14:52 PM »
This was entrapment too

It was in his mind to commit this crime and the gov't has to provide the court system with some evidence.  Now I can see here and yell that I am going to blow something up all day long, but I never act upon it, then it is no crime.  The man had a mind to commit a crime because he did several things:
1) Looked and search for someone to provide the material to commit the crime.
2) Actually tried to commit the crime.
The last action got his butt in jail.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
This was entrapment too

It was in his mind to commit this crime and the gov't has to provide the court system with some evidence.  Now I can see here and yell that I am going to blow something up all day long, but I never act upon it, then it is no crime.  The man had a mind to commit a crime because he did several things:
1) Looked and search for someone to provide the material to commit the crime.
2) Actually tried to commit the crime.
The last action got his butt in jail.

Man...this is kinda BS.

This scenario wouldnt have even been set up if he was white and named "Timothy" no matter what he way saying on the net.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »

Man...this is kinda BS.

This scenario wouldnt have even been set up if he was white and named "Timothy" no matter what he way saying on the net.

::) Well, I doubt that he has a viable "selective prosecution"  defense.

BTW, you ever watch "To Catch A Predator?"  Plenty of scenarios are set up to catch White Folks.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:32:06 PM by Wildman78 »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News