News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel Feature on Hazing in HBCU Marching Bands  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/index.html#

For those that don't know, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel will be doing a story on Hazing within Marching Bands, with a Special Highlight on Southern University, and possibly some other HBCU Programs. The show will air Tuesday November 23rd @ 10pm on HBO

I guess things are about to get reeeaaaallll interesting...

:popcorn:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:26:45 PM by Aggieblues »

AGGIE PRIDE

Offline RamMan4Life

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel Feature on Hazing in HBCU Marching Bands
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »
Interesting....
A past to cherish....a future to fulfill.

Class of '92

Home of the1960 Albany State College Rams, who finished the season UNDEFEATED and a DEFENSE UNSCORED UPON!!

KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY,INC.
 "Detrimental" Delta Xi Chapter

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »
Ok.  Who watched and your thoughts?

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
I missed it. But there are some interesting comments over at twitter.
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline WAHBCUSportsFan

• Veteran
  • Fan of college hoops, track/field, & college fball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
Check your local listings because it will air again tonight!!!
I have enjoyed HBCU athletics since I was a kid and this GREAT forum allows me to interact with other HBCU alums/fans. Washington State University Alum (B.A. 2005) and M.Ed from Univ. of Oklahoma. My little sister was accepted into CAU to start fall 2012 as a freshman. GO PANTHERS!

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:00:36 PM »
I saw it.  It was a scathing report about physical hazing of freshmen in HBCU  bands.  The segment focused mostly on Southern and Alabama State. However, they did note there was no hazing of Freshmen in the Norfolk State Band.

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »
I saw it.  It was a scathing report about physical hazing of freshmen in HBCU  bands.  The segment focused mostly on Southern and Alabama State. However, they did note there was no hazing of Freshmen in the Norfolk State Band.

They focused on Alabama A&M not Alabama State.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
Okay, I just watched tonight.

Here's the thing.........................................physical abuse, in the form of hazing............whether in fraternal organizations or marching bands, has NO PLACE in an academic environment. Just watching that show made me HOT >:(

I understand why the kids allow themselves to go through this. But why won't band directors take a proactive approach in stopping this. Obviously they've done it at NSU so, it can be done.

But the recurring theme throughout the program was the fact that NONE of the institutions are / were willing to suspend the ENTIRE BAND when this happens. Until it gets to that point, this issue will never be taken seriously. ::)
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »
It was stated during the segment that the band directors grow from the bands.  I think this is one of the reasons why the hazing continues.   A university Chancellor or President needs to suspend their band for a game or 2 to make a point.  If some fans are only coming to the game to see the band and they are not performing then that will effect the gate receipts.  Adminstrators will then get the point and put an end to this hazing.

The young lady from AAMU who had the severe bruises on her butt should sue those folks who beat her.  I guess a band student is going to have to die from the beatings before the schools get a clue.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »
*Plays Devil's Advocate for a minute*

Do you feel that because of the HBCU Culture, that a president or chancellor will actually suspend an entire marching band for 2 games, let alone a game for a hazing incident?

Also in regards to the AAMU student that had the burns, do you feel that she had a responsibility as a legal adult to report the hazing to officials?

AGGIE PRIDE

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
I feel that until one of these kids can actually pin down a school official or admin in one of these lawsuites hazing will continue.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Weekend Tiger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
you're probably right

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News