News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Health Care Protesters Hurl Verbal Epithets at Black Lawmakers  (Read 5503 times)

Offline NovaSkegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
March 20, 2010

Health Care Protesters Hurl Verbal Epithets at Black Lawmakers
Reps. John Lewis, D-Ga., and Andre Carson, D-Ind., both members of the Congressional Black Caucus, say that a group of protesters hollered at them and called them the N-word

By Chad Pergram
FOXNews

Thousands health care reform opponents descended on Capitol Hill Saturday to rally against Sunday's major vote on the package.

But some of the protesters targeted a handful of black members of Congress and one gay lawmaker as they walked from the House office buildings to the Capitol to vote.

Reps. John Lewis, D-Ga, and Andre Carson, D-Ind., both members of the Congressional Black Caucus, say that a group of protesters hollered at them and called them the N-word.

"They were just shouting. Harassing," Lewis said. "People being downright mean."

Lewis was one of the most pivotal figures of the civil rights struggle. He spoke alongside Dr. Martin Luther King at the Lincoln Memorial during the "I Have a Dream" speech. And Alabama State Police fractured the congressman's skull as he led a march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge on what became known as "Bloody Sunday" in 1965.

"It's okay, I've faced this before," said Lewis of Saturday's incident. "I haven't heard anything like this in 40, 45 years. Since the march to Selma, really."

Andre Carson is one of only two Muslims in Congress and was born nine years after "Bloody Sunday." Carson conceded he wasn't used to hearing such epithets.

"The beauty is that I was walking with a good sage who had been there before," Carson said, who with Lewis at the time.

First elected in 1970, Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., is one of the founding members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

"You don't see any black folks in these groups," said Rangel. "Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever."

Rangel suggested that some of the protesters knew Lewis' story and deliberately went after him.

"They knew what he represented," he said.

Fellow CBC member Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va., said nothing would surprise him from some of the bands of health care protesters.

"I have never heard anyone campaign for their freedom to be uninsured. I've never heard anyone campaign against Medicare," said Scott. "That's what you're dealing with."

But African American lawmakers weren't the only targets of the protesters' invective. Rep. Joe Crowley, D-N.Y., says some of the demonstrators also castigated Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., who is gay.

"I don't even want to repeat it," said Crowley when asked what they said to Frank.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Capitol Police said she was unaware of any law enforcement inquiry into the incidents.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/20/health-care-protesters-hurl-verbal-epithets-african-american-lawmakers/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:37:09 PM by NovaSkegee »

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Re: Health Care Protesters Hurl Verbal Epithets at Black Lawmakers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »

"You don't see any black folks in these groups," said Rangel. "Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever."

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »

I was recently interviewed just this past two weeks by the local affiliate of Fox News Nashville Fox 17 about the Coffee Party and I stated I believe that racism is the motivation for the Tea Party. ( http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/wztv_vid_2957.shtml ) I am a born and raised white Tennessean with both parents the same and I can personally attest to the angry racism of the Tea Party. Neither of my parents are racist or taught racism in our home but I have heard enough racism to know it when I see it. These people in the Tea Party are the same people who would be for segregation. The same people who spat on black students trying to integrate public school. I'd dare say they are the same people who would have opposed the abolition of slavery, but I may not go that far.

Posted by DarrellTN at 03/20/2010 @ 6:36pm

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
Right on, Darrell!!

We need more white "race traitors", who tell it like it is.

John Brown lives!  :nod:

O0

P.S.  You know when Darrell sends in a resume, with that name he is assumed to be Black. ;D
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:54 AM »
I actually saw a white tv preacher/pimp try to link Obama and those voting for this as the start on the road to Armaggedden.

The fear merchants are working overtime.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:12:00 AM by Bison 4 Life »

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:10 AM »
Glenn Beck, Steve King: Health Care Bill Vote an Affront to God

Conservative lawmakers and pundits already have many grievances against the Democratic health care reform plan, but Rep. Steve King of Iowa and Fox News personality Glenn Beck are adding one more to the list -- the vote scheduled for Sunday.

Democrats are scrambling to get the bill to the president before leaving for Easter recess, prompting the House to schedule a vote for the bill this Sunday.

"They intend to vote on the Sabbath, during Lent, to take away the liberty that we have right from God," King said on Beck's radio program Thursday, the Hill reports.

Beck chimed in, "Here is a group of people that have so perverted our faith and our hope and our charity, that is a -- this is an affront to God."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000771-503544.html

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »
On Face The Nation this morning, the host asked Clyburn about the incident, but NEITHER of them actually said what happened!!

They only mentioned protesters and Clyburn said he had not seen anything like it since 1960. 

But NO MENTION that the protesters yelled "N I G G E R" at two members of Congress.

Yeah, the Tea Party continues to be revealed for what is prevalent in its base.
 O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
No comment from the board neo-cons yet. Interesting....

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
No comment from the board neo-cons yet. Interesting....

I TOO AWAIT THEIR RESPONSE.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »
Me, three!

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:07:17 AM »
it will be the same rhetoric and they are waiting on the talking points from the GOP today, to see what the party say they can say. It will soon come down the line, probably around noon or later...
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:30:41 AM »
^^^EXACTLY!!!

Don't y'all remember the article on what it takes to be a conservative? Minus 6-11 IQ points compared to liberals?

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Meciber 202

• Assistant GM
  • We're Baaacck! MEAC Baby! 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
I too was curious as to how they would rationalize this so I just went to foxnews to find out what our onnidan repubs would be posting later.

It looks like they have two options so far. The first being the incidents never happened. They say there's no video evidence. (Then explain why did the Tea Party leader issue apology statement?) So that brought them to the second option being the democrats put a "plant" inside the demonstration just to make them look bad.  ::)
2006 HBCU National Champions - NC Central University

Don't forget secret GOP strategy meetings sponsored by Koch bros: attendees included Congressmen, Governors, CEOs, National Chamber of Congress, and two Supreme Court Judges; all united to put GOP back in power. Could SC Judges be bought? smh

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:00:23 AM »
The Tea Party showed their true color--no pun intended.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
No evidence? 3 of them got arrested by the Capitol police. Only 2 are on the blogger cause one black congressman declined to press charges.  I wish they would have had that demonstration on the corner of 14th & U in DC.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News