News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Fried Turkey  (Read 3588 times)

Offline tusmse

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
    • http://inside boeing
Re: Fried Turkey
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »
i'd rather have a smoked turkey.

You can have the smoked turkey, I'd rather have Major Double 0 Seven.
 I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »
Frying turkey is not worth it if you are only doing one. It's best to get 2 or 3 other families involved.

Not necessarily, Cap.  :nono2:  No need for all those extra families. Some people have that frying device [can, vat] whatever its called and keep a supply of the oil, so frying up a turkey is no big deal.  ;D

*Reading Neymar's comments like....

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm going to try using a Char-Broil Big Easy for the first time this year.  I hope it tastes the same.

I'm seriously thinking about pulling it out for the tailgate at the SSU game this weekend.

Aggie Blue and Gold

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 01:32:01 AM »
I tried the big easy out Saturday,turned out great, took about 2 hours though for a 15 lb turkey.

Oil takes less than an hour for a 15 lb. I like the taste better than oil and the wings and legs were not toasted like with oil.

Plus no fire hazard or hot oil to worry about.

I will be doing two for Thanksgiving in the big easy.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
I tried the big easy out Saturday,turned out great, took about 2 hours though for a 15 lb turkey.

Oil takes less than an hour for a 15 lb. I like the taste better than oil and the wings and legs were not toasted like with oil.

Plus no fire hazard or hot oil to worry about.

I will be doing two for Thanksgiving in the big easy.

You just sold me buddy.  I know someone selling one for $60 bucks.  I'm gonna get one.

Offline Shelt from Skegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »
I used to smoke my Thanksgiving Turkey every year, but now I fry it.  Have been doing so for several years now.

It's usually too cold up here to keep a charcoal smoker (the only way I'll do it.  No gas here!) at the right temperature.  Because of that it take several hours to smoke a turker right. 

I can fry a turkey in less than an hour.  I'll have that bird fried and befire the Turkey Day Classic comes on!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
hey, Shelt, I always wonder what do a lot of Turkey Day Classic attendees do for Thanksgiving dinner.

Do they have Thanksgiving dinner after the game?

Do they have it on Friday or Saturday instead?

What do the players, staff, band and cheerleaders do for Thanksgiving dinner?
I would imagine there's a big dinner waiting for them when the game is over?

:shrug:

*Reading Neymar's comments like....

Offline tusmse

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
    • http://inside boeing
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:37:59 PM »
hey, Shelt, I always wonder what do a lot of Turkey Day Classic attendees do for Thanksgiving dinner.

Do they have Thanksgiving dinner after the game?

Do they have it on Friday or Saturday instead?

What do the players, staff, band and cheerleaders do for Thanksgiving dinner?
I would imagine there's a big dinner waiting for them when the game is over?

:shrug:

When I was a child, my father would take us out to eat Thanksgiving dinner after the game.

My mother would have Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday.
 I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »
I'VE DISCUSSED THIS TOPIC AD NAUSEUM FOR THE LAST 3 THANKSGIVINGS.  I WILL BE DOING 2-3 AGIAN THIS YEAR.  I AM HAVE A "TFB" WITH OAK LEAF CLUSTERS.  ANYONE WANTING TIPS?   HIT ME VIA E-MAIL.  DON'T WANNA BORE FOLKS WITH MY TURKEY FRYING ADVENTURES OF THE LAST 15 YEARS.  :lol:
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
I'VE DISCUSSED THIS TOPIC AD NAUSEUM FOR THE LAST 3 THANKSGIVINGS.  I WILL BE DOING 2-3 AGIAN THIS YEAR.  I AM HAVE A "TFB" WITH OAK LEAF CLUSTERS.  ANYONE WANTING TIPS?   HIT ME VIA E-MAIL.  DON'T WANNA BORE FOLKS WITH MY TURKEY FRYING ADVENTURES OF THE LAST 15 YEARS.  :lol:

...WHAT CAN I SAY? I AM A CREATURE OF HABIT.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
Frying turkey is not worth it if you are only doing one. It's best to get 2 or 3 other families involved.

Not necessarily, Cap.  :nono2:  No need for all those extra families. Some people have that frying device [can, vat] whatever its called and keep a supply of the oil, so frying up a turkey is no big deal.  ;D

It takes $40 worth of pure peanut oil, not the blended stuff, $15 for a can of propane and $6 to $8 dollars worth of seasoning. That is assuming you have the rest of  the hardware to do it. The turkey will only cost you 47 cents a pound if you get it on special at one of the many supermarkets who are running deals this week. That is like $6.00 for a 13 pounder.   So we are taking almost $60.00 to fry a $6.00 bird. If you don't have a cooker, add another $60 to the cost.  There is a guy here at work who charges $15 to fry your turkey for you. That is a good deal.  :nod:

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Cap -

Most folks have the sunk cost of the propane and fryer.  The oil, based on how many you fry and how hot you get the temps up to, can be reused.  One also should consider how much is their personal time worth.  A conventional roasting/baking process is a number of hours and it takes up valuable space in the oven too.  When I deep fry mine, based on the outdoor temps, that 13 pounder (which is a huge tom turkey btw) may take me right at an hour (~4 min/lb + 5 min per bird) @ 350°F up here in the winter.  I find it to be about 3 min/lb when it's warmer outside.....

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
I use to save and reuse the oil but it must be refrigerated to keep it from breaking down and going rancid. Also you need an extra refrigerator to do that. Most folk can't give up that much space to store  5 gallons of cooking oil. The longest I ever kept it was like a year and a half refrigerated. If you don't refrigerate it, it will not last through the next summer. It still works but the taste is unpleasant.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »
Refrigerated?  Where did you get that from?  Stop making stuff up Cap.  Oil doesn't have to be refrigerated.  Kept in a cool, dry place.....and it should be fine....

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »
Refrigerated?  Where did you get that from?  Stop making stuff up Cap.  Oil doesn't have to be refrigerated.  Kept in a cool, dry place.....and it should be fine....

I guess you were not raised in a family that raised hogs and made lard. Making lard required that you cook as much of the water out of the grease as possible. Water causes rancidification. When you fry a turkey, you are adding water to the oil cause which hastens the rancidfication process. Refrigeration slow it down.

Poor city kid, I bet you never had cracklin cornbread, and home made skins.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News