News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Washington Post unearths 1957 photo of Jerry Jones in crowd blocking Black stude  (Read 284 times)

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
Yet he loves negroes running up and down the field for him.

Washington Post unearths 1957 photo of Jerry Jones in crowd blocking Black students from entering school

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/washington-post-unearths-1957-photo-185644735.html

Offline Blackwell

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Seems like he was close to the front of the group...

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
 :(………uhhhh, memo to Dak: Stay out of this one. I know your initial inclination is to step forward and proclaim to the world what a great white man yo boss really is.  But “massuh” has enough money and resources to deal with this without the field hands vouching for him.

Ijs……… :shrug:

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

well, to be "fair", 57 years ago is a long time.  trust me, i have "zero" luv for jerry jones and i absolutely "despise" the cowgirls.  but fair is fair.

i mean, folks sometimes change their perspective over time.  not saying he's any different now, but its plausible that he has "possibly" changed since then.

shoot, i can think of a lot of things in life that i've changed my mind about over the last 30 or 40 years including how i feel about white folk...

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
He hasn't changed.  The same ones who was against kneeling and players protesting against social unrest.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
If he changed there would be some Black people in prominent positions.

He doesn’t want to know ‘us’ that way so as to keep us out of those positions.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Tell the truth M&G.

Offline KnuckDogg

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
And you know what? If more older photos are ever unearthed, we'd probably see more owners doing things back then that's not in their best interests today. I always wonder what happened to the people in those old photos who were present to watch black people getting hung,,,,,,,
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
What else did  you expect from a young white male in The Deep South?

Also, it's his organization. So, he can hire anybody that he chooses too.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit

That's all well and good if you claim out of your mouth that your organization's playing field is level, yet you tilt it to being unlevel. Have true conviction, and the courage to follow through.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
That's the argument by Stephen A this morning that he was 14/15 years old and this was an old photo and he evolved. It's sad that black men continue to tap dance for these racist white folks. There's nothing Jerry Jones has done that made me think he's no other than that a racist. His comments that he was just standing there observing or curious of what was happening is BS. I was 14/15 years old and I still remember some of the racist things my white classmates would say and do and is now more pronounced as adults. So, don't give me this he was 14/15 and didn't know what was going on. He knew that black students was attending his high school that day. They act like he was some 5 year old. He's a high schooler and many are well aware of what's happening. Ask the high schoolers today that protest racism and hate in our schools.

that's all...   ::)

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
And that’s why I refuse to listen to or watch that COONASSED mofo. Shameful to say he’s sold out to protect his paycheck….or is that simply just the coon that he really is.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
YOGI and Alum^^^i haven’t seen the Stephen A. commentary that YOGI references, but respect both of you bruhs enough to comment anyway.

Could not agree more with what YOGI stated. Jerry was not a young child and at age 14/15 was CLEARLY emotionally mature enough to understand the social ramifications of negroes integrating his high school.

There are two distinguishing features, imho, about a teenaged Jerry in that photograph: 1) he is not along the front row leveling racial slurs against those teenaged black boys; and 2) he has an impassioned look on his face, so it’s unclear WHAT he was thinking at the time,

But even if one were inclined to give Jerry the benefit of the doubt based on what I just stated, his racial hiring history with the Cowboys does not suggest dude has evolved from the 14/15 year old Little Rock white boy depicted in the 1957 photo.

Btw, guys, what do we know of the white boys along the front lines of that photo clearly screaming racial epithets at the black kids integrating that school? :shrug:

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
My worst in your face bigotry I faced was in Minneapolis-not the deep south.  I spent a few years there near Lake Street where a lot of the disturbances were during the George Floyd protests (many years after I was there); and I was in elementary school.

Here are the words of Ernest Green, the first of the Little Rock Nine to graduate (interview).

Here are a couple of paragraphs out of the Washington Post article.

-----

Associated Press, shows a young Jones wearing a striped shirt, craning for a better view, “looking like a little burrhead,” as he said in a recent interview with The Washington Post, acknowledging his presence on the steps that day. He was one month from turning 15. He had been bulking up by lifting weights and going through two-a-days since August, trying to make the school’s football B-team. The coach, Jim Albright, had warned there might be trouble and said he “didn’t want to see any of you knot-heads near the front of that school tomorrow.”

In that respect, Jones sees only what he wants to see. What he wanted to see looking back on that long-ago September day was a picaresque tale of a “mischievous” young Jerry, not the trauma of North Little Rock’s Black community. Deflecting questions about the nastiness of the treatment of the North Little Rock Six, he said his main concern was whether he would get in trouble. “I frankly was worried about my coach kicking my butt for doing exactly the thing they told us not to do,” Jones said, adding that he “had no advance notice” that there would be photographers on the scene who could document his presence.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

Whew,

I don’t think Jerry Jones needs you playing devil’s advocate.

Do you ever get tired of carping for white folk?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule