News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Division II Playoffs Announcement Today at 5:30  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: Division II Playoffs Announcement Today at 5:30
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm also for ditching the SIAC championship game,
letting the team with the best record get picked for the D2 playoffs
and going back to each school being able to schedule 11 games instead of 10

Offline Jeff Aggie Fan

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2022, 10:08:22 AM »
I jsut hope Fay State can come off that high and play well this Saturday.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2022, 10:26:35 AM »
This is why Rameses and myself have been SCREAMING TO THE HEAVENS about this SIAC Championship game. The old schedules had 11 games you can play. The games started the last weekend in August prior to Labor Day Weekend plus a Bye. Now you have 10 with no bye and the championship game. Everybody played pretty much each other with the 2 year rotation. There was years Albany State and Tuskegee didn't play each other. Fort Valley State and Tuskegee did and those were the best teams in the conference. Now, with the conference championship game, you set this conference up for failure in the future if there was ever a Lane or Kentucky State matchup with an Allen or Edward Waters. I mean let's be serious here. That was our issues and the question that was raised about having this championship. And if you don't think that that will never happen, you're fooling yourselves. No one saw Benedict coming. No one saw MILLS coming a few years ago. The championship opens the door for teams that traditionally wouldn't win to go in due to other teams slipping up into a championship and you're left without your best team being represented or making the playoffs.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2022, 11:49:22 AM »
This is why Rameses and myself have been SCREAMING TO THE HEAVENS about this SIAC Championship game. The old schedules had 11 games you can play. The games started the last weekend in August prior to Labor Day Weekend plus a Bye. Now you have 10 with no bye and the championship game. Everybody played pretty much each other with the 2 year rotation. There was years Albany State and Tuskegee didn't play each other. Fort Valley State and Tuskegee did and those were the best teams in the conference. Now, with the conference championship game, you set this conference up for failure in the future if there was ever a Lane or Kentucky State matchup with an Allen or Edward Waters. I mean let's be serious here. That was our issues and the question that was raised about having this championship. And if you don't think that that will never happen, you're fooling yourselves. No one saw Benedict coming. No one saw MILLS coming a few years ago. The championship opens the door for teams that traditionally wouldn't win to go in due to other teams slipping up into a championship and you're left without your best team being represented or making the playoffs.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

So, only certain SIAC teams are worthy of having the opportunity for post-season play?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 11:51:54 AM by klg14 »
HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - MLK

“There’s the philosophical question of living in a regime that doesn’t believe I am a fully autonomous human with the power to make decisions about myself.” - Elizabeth Eager

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2022, 01:50:14 PM »

So, only certain SIAC teams are worthy of having the opportunity for post-season play?

For my PETTINESS, uhh...YES! That's US, Albany State and Mother Tuskegee, the original BIG 3. All of the other small time programs can fight amongst themselves for the middle and bottom of the conference.  :lol:

that's all... 

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 03:10:03 PM »
1. Da Valley got shafted in this. It is a shaft that came back to bite us-the human element. They simply did not want to pit two HBCUs against each other, let alone two HBCU conferences. Use your imagination as to how HYPE that game would have been...

2. As I prepare my soapbox to stand on. This so-called championship game: no: continues to hurt the SIAC in Super Region 2. This year, FVSU would be in, Skeege would be in, Albany State (without the FAMU game) would be in consideration all if we had that elusive 11th game. The championship game so far, has benefited the non-traditional SIAC juggernauts, and this is not to slight any team in the SIAC, this is stating the facts. Let me clear this up, whether successful or not, there are some teams who have always sought the playoffs, PB back in day and there are others who were not. That is all that Yogi and I are alluding to. With due respect, other teams such Miles who under Ruffin stepped up there game. I think Benedict is heading in the right direction. I am not sure yet, based on one season. Right now, the SIAC is going to continue to suffer based on our structure. I am now pushing my soapbox away.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2022, 08:31:03 PM »
Rameses, Benedict's coach is going to leave. If not this or next year, but if this team plays well next season and a job opens up in either the SWAC or MEAC, he's shooting the deuces. So, Benedict is back to a mid-level conference team. You can't count on these other small programs to continue what the BIG 3 has done for decades in representing this conference. Let's be honest. The fan bases are between the BIG 3 schools. How many schools in the conference can you say drive in alumni and fan support at a visitor's stadium especially when they're winning?

that's all...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 12:01:32 AM »
1. Da Valley got shafted in this. It is a shaft that came back to bite us-the human element. They simply did not want to pit two HBCUs against each other, let alone two HBCU conferences. Use your imagination as to how HYPE that game would have been...

2. As I prepare my soapbox to stand on. This so-called championship game: no: continues to hurt the SIAC in Super Region 2. This year, FVSU would be in, Skeege would be in, Albany State (without the FAMU game) would be in consideration all if we had that elusive 11th game. The championship game so far, has benefited the non-traditional SIAC juggernauts, and this is not to slight any team in the SIAC, this is stating the facts. Let me clear this up, whether successful or not, there are some teams who have always sought the playoffs, PB back in day and there are others who were not. That is all that Yogi and I are alluding to. With due respect, other teams such Miles who under Ruffin stepped up there game. I think Benedict is heading in the right direction. I am not sure yet, based on one season. Right now, the SIAC is going to continue to suffer based on our structure. I am now pushing my soapbox away.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 09:45:12 AM »
Does anyone know if Virginia Union will be streaming the game live?
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2022, 11:34:21 AM »
I've tried to crunch some numbers and was able to justify most of the selections.  The team that got the shaft appears to be West Georgia and to a lesser extent Newberry.  My formula considered winning percentage; SOS, and Opponents SOS.  Then I weighted those factors.

In my calculations, the ratings were:

1. West Florida
2. Benedict
3. Delta State
4. Virginia Union
5. Wingate
6. West Georgia
7. Newberry
8. Fayetteville State
9. Limestone
10.  Fort Valley State

As in years past, head-2-head and results common opponents came into play.

* Delta State defeated West Florida.  Since Benedict was above Delta State; Benedict was moved to #1, Delta State #2 and UWF #3.
Virginia Union and Wingate were correctly placed.

The next bunch was West Ga.; Newberry; Fayetteville State; and Limestone.

I think UWG was moved because they were the only team among seven who had a loss to a sub-500 team (Mississippi College). 

*Next up was Newberry. In a scenario similar to the trio of teams at the top of the rankings, Newberry lost to Limestone.  Initially, Fayetteville State was ahead of Limestone; but they have two common opponents: Wingate and Saint Aug.  The point differential was the determining factor.  FSU (21-3) and Limestone (28-21) both lost to Wingate; and both defeated Saint Augustine,  FSU (54-0) and Limestone (74-14).  A blowout is a blowout, so I wouldn't count those games too much but a 7-point loss is better than an 18-point loss. 

Fort Valley was the tenth team and the odd-man out. FVSU would have needed to notch a win against a team with a SOS of around .530 to enter the conversation.  Ultimately, since Savannah State had a sub-500 record against D2 teams, FVSU probably would have been eliminated under the same reasoning as West Georgia.

This is my opinion backed by some numbers. Don't @ me. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 11:36:38 AM by WileECoyote06 »

Offline KnuckDogg

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2022, 11:49:33 AM »
I wish they had 32 D2 teams in the playoffs for D2 football. Would that be a feasible bracket?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2022, 11:57:14 AM »
I wish they had 32 D2 teams in the playoffs for D2 football. Would that be a feasible bracket?

D3 has a 32 team playoff bracket so a 32 team bracket for D2 would seem to be feasible.

Offline Cub 7

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2022, 12:09:38 PM »
Fayetteville State has a 12 hour bus ride and a time zone change to get to Cleveland Mississippi to play Delta State. That’s a huge disadvantage for my Broncos

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 12:14:45 PM »

D3 has a 32 team playoff bracket so a 32 team bracket for D2 would seem to be feasible.

It's based on a percentage of teams with access to the post-season.

There are 164 D2 football programs, so a 28 team playoff grants access to about 17% of the membership.  A 32 team playoff would grant access to 19.5% of the membership. 

In other divisions and sports -

DI men's basketball tournament -- 68 team playoff, 352 teams total = 19%.
FCS Championship -- 24 team playoff, 130 teams total = 18%
DIII football Championship -- 32 team playoff, 242 teams total = 13%.

Looking at the numbers, one might argue that it's time for DIII to move to a 40 team playoff.   :shrug:

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 12:20:23 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the 10 game restriction is a NCAA rule for Division 2. What you can do is not play the teams at a higher level because those games will not count even if you win them. Dropping the championship game when every conference has one will probably be looked on unfavorably by the selection committee. HBCUs are well represented on the selection committee. Not losing to a lesser opponent is probably the only thing that will make a difference.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule