News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: A&T preps for old MEAC foe as it marches toward Big South title  (Read 640 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
A&T steps away from conference play on Saturday and hosts Norfolk State, which will be part football game, part reunion. All the pleasantries will be put aside for the week.

The Aggies have won 33 of the 44 meetings with the Spartans, including 18 of 21 in Greensboro. The last time Norfolk State stopped A&T was a 14-10 decision in 2010.

As for the head coaches, A&T’s Sam Washington recruited Norfolk State head coach Dawson Odums to play for NC Central in 1994, when Washington was assistant head coach and defensive coordinator in Durham. And Odums was an assistant coach at A&T from 2008 through 2010, and also served as defensive coordinator before Washington took over for him.

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/11/02/north-carolina-at-preps-for-old-meac-foe-as-it-marches-toward-big-south-title/

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: A&T preps for old MEAC foe as it marches toward Big South title
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »
Small world.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 10:02:54 PM »
I hope the Grasshopper has learned well. All you need is one point more.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 05:54:11 AM »
I have noticed on social media that the pro Big South/CAA Aggies are pushing the narriative that if this game has low attendance the conference moves are justified. 

It's pretty interesting and funny.

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 06:33:55 AM »
I have noticed on social media that the pro Big South/CAA Aggies are pushing the narriative that if this game has low attendance the conference moves are justified. 

I guess that's one interpretation? From what I'm reading, posters are saying those who have complained about leaving the MEAC have no excuse not to attend this weeks game since we are playing NSU.
Crabs to the left
Crabs to the right
Crabs everywhere!

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 07:44:33 AM »

I guess that's one interpretation? From what I'm reading, posters are saying those who have complained about leaving the MEAC have no excuse not to attend this weeks game since we are playing NSU.

I saw that too.  They are also talking about the lack of marketing and the kickoff time change.

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 11:32:54 AM »

I know we fans a all, but folks need to stop paying so much attention to social media. Some folk still wish NC A&T was in the MEAC and go as far as wishing us ill and hope we lose. Some folk are glad we left and look for excuses to justify their feelings.

I was a baby at the time, but I've heard stories about what folks were saying when NC A&T left the CIAA. Some of the same stuff, but not as bad because the new MEAC was made up of old CIAA and SIAC schools. Folks was bitter though, and it took years for them to move on. It will be the same with this move as well. As fans, we will adjust despite any calls that the sky is falling.

After 50 years in the MEAC it was time to move on. We will continue to play old MEAC foes. This year NCCU, SCSU, and NSU are on the schedule. In the years to come other schools will be in the rotation. NC A&T just has a different aspirations and after 50 years the MEAC no longer met our requirements.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »

I know we fans a all, but folks need to stop paying so much attention to social media. Some folk still wish NC A&T was in the MEAC and go as far as wishing us ill and hope we lose. Some folk are glad we left and look for excuses to justify their feelings.

I was a baby at the time, but I've heard stories about what folks were saying when NC A&T left the CIAA. Some of the same stuff, but not as bad because the new MEAC was made up of old CIAA and SIAC schools. Folks was bitter though, and it took years for them to move on. It will be the same with this move as well. As fans, we will adjust despite any calls that the sky is falling.

After 50 years in the MEAC it was time to move on. We will continue to play old MEAC foes. This year NCCU, SCSU, and NSU are on the schedule. In the years to come other schools will be in the rotation. NC A&T just has a different aspirations and after 50 years the MEAC no longer met our requirements.

Dern you sound arrogant as hell.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »

if true, that comes from folk who have "zero" knowledge of our football attendance history.  if folk knew our history, they'd know that "home games" that are scheduled the weekend "immediately following ghoe" is never well attended.  i call it, "ghoe hangover" week.

it don't matter who we play at home the weekend "immediately following ghoe", those games are "NEVER" well attended compared to usual attendance...

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 05:05:48 PM »

if true, that comes from folk who have "zero" knowledge of our football attendance history.  if folk knew our history, they'd know that "home games" that are scheduled the weekend "immediately following ghoe" is never well attended.  i call it, "ghoe hangover" week.

it don't matter who we play at home the weekend "immediately following ghoe", those games are "NEVER" well attended compared to usual attendance...

Oleschool is right about that...I don't recall any home game right after GHOE being well attended. That said, folk gonna twist it to match their views...If you glad we no longer in the MEAC a poorly attended game is proof that MEAC membership wasn't important...If you mad we left the MEAC fans aren't showing up because they mad we going to the CAA.

I just hope the team stays focused...wins out, and we get the Big South Championship and the Auto bid that come with it.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 05:32:16 PM »

Yea, just like we still play in basketball.  Wait, no we don't.  :shrug:  The same is going to happen in football in a few years.  Banking on playing old MEAC foes is an indication that you should have stayed in the MEAC. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »

Yea, just like we still play in basketball.  Wait, no we don't.  :shrug:  The same is going to happen in football in a few years.  Banking on playing old MEAC foes is an indication that you should have stayed in the MEAC.

I found out on BDV why we aren’t playing the birds in basketball, and if that’s true…I’m good with it, and I’ll leave it at that. It’s my hope both sides can come to terms.

NC A&T isn’t “banking” on playing MEAC foes anymore than they are banking on playing A&T. Nobody is forcing any ADs hand. They want to play NC A&T .

It makes sense to play regional schools. NC A&T is gonna be playing MEAC, Big South (or whatever the new league is called) and SoCon schools…and we will be fine.

Get used to it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 07:36:55 PM »

Both schools lose money when we don't play in football. Both schools' BOT Meeting notes say this.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »

I found out on BDV why we aren’t playing the birds in basketball, and if that’s true…I’m good with it, and I’ll leave it at that. It’s my hope both sides can come to terms.

NC A&T isn’t “banking” on playing MEAC foes anymore than they are banking on playing A&T. Nobody is forcing any ADs hand. They want to play NC A&T .

It makes sense to play regional schools. NC A&T is gonna be playing MEAC, Big South (or whatever the new league is called) and SoCon schools…and we will be fine.

Get used to it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if the reason isn’t for public consumption, PM me the reason we aren’t playing basketball.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 08:11:52 AM »
Back on topic. Anyways too soon to be talking about BSC championship. Still gotta go thru Gardner-Webb who imo may be the best team in conference. 
Crabs to the left
Crabs to the right
Crabs everywhere!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule