News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: POTUS just declared the pandemic over  (Read 699 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Re: POTUS just declared the pandemic over
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 10:21:59 AM »
It's no different than when he and the CDC announced in 2021 that vaccinated people do not have to wear masks in public, which prompted a whole bunch of industries and businesses to drop mask mandates (the same day)

And it became your option to wear a mask not only for your own protection, but for the protection of those you may come in contact with. You and everybody else out there know that this virus hasn't just magically disappeared. You common sense (assuming you have any) should guide how you continue to respond to this pestilence. I don't need the federal government to tell me that I need to protect myself. Too, many offices I go to here still have signs on their doors that a mask is required to enter their doors and receive  service. My common sense tell me that anytime I'm going into a place where other people are, I wear my mask. I still see many people wear masks indoors.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 07:33:46 PM »
“Over is not real.”

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRa96cS2/
Did he ever say COVID was over? If he did I sure didn't hear it. Since I have no agenda I understood him to mean it was not at pandemic levels.  IMHO what you do is as close to "gaslighting" as one can be when you try to push your narrative.  I find that this works better on trump supporters than most in this forum which is why you often get pushback. :shrug:

Gaslighting is saying the pandemic is over when close to 500 people a day are still dying as a result of the pandemic.  Is that number "pandemic levels?" What constitutes not pandemic levels to you?

I mean, according to the CDC's transmission levels map, 91 percent of the American population lives in an area where COVID spread is substantial or high. Is that not pandemic levels?

But y'all really don't understand how behavioral science and the impact of messaging work, huh? Saying the pandemic is over means people will inevitably relax protecting themselves and other people. There will be less masking in public places. There will be less people motivated to get vaccinated or boosted. Fewer people will get tested. Because why would folks continue to take precautions when the head of state said twice on national TV apparently "off the cuff" that it's all over?

As a result, there will be more people -- regardless of their vaccination status -- getting infected and dying, which will prolong the "problem with COVID," as Biden described it.

It's no different than when he and the CDC announced in 2021 that vaccinated people do not have to wear masks in public, which prompted a whole bunch of industries and businesses to drop mask mandates (the same day), and created a false sense of security for vaccinated people and didn't incentivize the unvaccinated as a whole to get vaccinated because few places were really checking vaccination status. 

And it's also gaslighting for Biden to say what he said when the White House several months ago warned that 100 million people could get infected with COVID this fall and winter if Congress didn't approve more COVID funding. https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/politics/white-house-covid-fall-wave/index.html Well, 46 just nuked that opportunity on 60 Minutes.
A pandemic is a global outbreak of disease. Pandemics happen when a new virus emerges to infect people and can spread between people sustainably. Because there is little to no pre-existing immunity against the new virus, it spreads worldwide. Epidemic • Event in which a disease is actively spreading.

I posted this difference for others because you are so entrenched in your agenda that it makes no difference what anyone says who has an opinion different than yours.  You are an opportunist, you swing anyway that will support your narrative case in point,  one minute you are for Dr. Fauci then you are against him. So again why should we give much credence to anything you espouse?????
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »
If you’ve been following my posts during the entire pandemic, my “narrative” hasn’t changed. Earlier in the pandemic, I agreed with guidance from everyone to Fauci, Biden and even the CDC.

But went it became apparent that these people and entities were being influenced not by science or for what’s in the best interest of public health and safety but by political interests, then the perspective changed.

An example of that is the current CDC director saying on a podcast in February that part of the rationale for the agency no longer recommending mask wearing in places where COVID spread was low was that people needed a break from them.  And that wearing a mask was a “scarlet letter” and the visible reminder that the pandemic was on going.

This was during a period where 64 percent of the country lived in an area where there was high or substantial spread and deaths were much higher then than now.

She then put out the guidance that people infected with COVID should isolate for five days (a cut down from 10) and if during that period symptoms had subsided, they no longer needed to isolate but advised people to mask.  One of the key arguments Walensky presented for shortening isolation was that people were not complying and that shortening would increase participation.

Well, studies came out later saying people were infectious on average well past five days.

So, yeah. I don’t trust anything that comes from this administration on COVID, just like I didn’t the previous one. They’ve sold out the people all in the name of political convenience.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 10:51:36 PM »
Have not stopped and will not stop wearing mask.

Teeny and Little

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2022, 01:53:58 PM »
If you’ve been following my posts during the entire pandemic, my “narrative” hasn’t changed. Earlier in the pandemic, I agreed with guidance from everyone to Fauci, Biden and even the CDC.

But went it became apparent that these people and entities were being influenced not by science or for what’s in the best interest of public health and safety but by political interests, then the perspective changed.

An example of that is the current CDC director saying on a podcast in February that part of the rationale for the agency no longer recommending mask wearing in places where COVID spread was low was that people needed a break from them.  And that wearing a mask was a “scarlet letter” and the visible reminder that the pandemic was on going.

This was during a period where 64 percent of the country lived in an area where there was high or substantial spread and deaths were much higher then than now.

She then put out the guidance that people infected with COVID should isolate for five days (a cut down from 10) and if during that period symptoms had subsided, they no longer needed to isolate but advised people to mask.  One of the key arguments Walensky presented for shortening isolation was that people were not complying and that shortening would increase participation.

Well, studies came out later saying people were infectious on average well past five days.

So, yeah. I don’t trust anything that comes from this administration on COVID, just like I didn’t the previous one. They’ve sold out the people all in the name of political convenience.
The problem is I have been following your posts.  It seems to me that since the POTUS did not evoke a national mask mandate, which by the way more than likely would not hold up in court, you have gone on these endless diatribes criticizing the POTUS.  While this is your right it is also my right to push back on what I believe to be a narrowminded view of what is actually happening.  You seem to focus primarily on the federal level when the problem actually is at the state and local level IMHO  I'm of the opinion that you may not be that well versed on basic civics.   Therefore, we can continue to agree to disagree.
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2022, 01:57:33 PM »
Have not stopped and will not stop wearing mask.
Me also, in all indoor situations and outdoors when I am forced to be near other people.  I will wear my mask until they make it illegal. :nod:

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2022, 02:56:29 PM »

The problem is I have been following your posts.  It seems to me that since the POTUS did not evoke a national mask mandate, which by the way more than likely would not hold up in court, you have gone on these endless diatribes criticizing the POTUS.  While this is your right it is also my right to push back on what I believe to be a narrowminded view of what is actually happening.  You seem to focus primarily on the federal level when the problem actually is at the state and local level IMHO  I'm of the opinion that you may not be that well versed on basic civics.   Therefore, we can continue to agree to disagree.

And you don't seem to understand that federal messaging from (the POTUS) and guidance (from the CDC) do impact and influence how state and local municipalities react. When the CDC (a federal agency) said in May 2021 that vaxxed people didn't need to wear masks, a lot of local and state mask mandates went away almost immediately. When isolation was reduced from 10 to 5 days, a bunch of workplaces suggested and demanded COVID-infected employees come back to work after Day 5.

A lot of municipalities and health entities will not shift in behavior unless federal messaging advises otherwise. Health agencies, businesses and even city officials literally explain they wait on federal guidance before acting.

I know that the POTUS doesn't have much power to institute a national mask mandate. And he can't be faulted for that. But I do hold him and the people who speak inside his administration responsible for what is said the because their words carry weight.

So when he says the pandemic is over despite 60,000 people dying of COVID (halfway past the "incalculable loss" levels) since May, it going to be criticized.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2022, 07:20:24 PM »

And you don't seem to understand that federal messaging from (the POTUS) and guidance (from the CDC) do impact and influence how state and local municipalities react. When the CDC (a federal agency) said in May 2021 that vaxxed people didn't need to wear masks, a lot of local and state mask mandates went away almost immediately. When isolation was reduced from 10 to 5 days, a bunch of workplaces suggested and demanded COVID-infected employees come back to work after Day 5. Okay since I don't understand please tell me/us how Biden's messaging has influenced the red states I'm assuming you know since you brought it up.

A lot of municipalities and health entities will not shift in behavior unless federal messaging advises otherwise. Health agencies, businesses and even city officials literally explain they wait on federal guidance before acting. Cities have to conform to state requirements, for example, Columbia, SC wanted to mandate masks in the city limits with a fine for noncompliance.  Gov. McMaster struck it down.  Most federal funds are allocated to the states who then allocate them to municipalities.  The Jackson Ms. infrastructure problem is a prime example.

I know that the POTUS doesn't have much power to institute a national mask mandate. And he can't be faulted for that. But I do hold him and the people who speak inside his administration responsible for what is said the because their words carry weight. It took you long enough to figure it out. :tiptoe:

So when he says the pandemic is over despite 60,000 people dying of COVID (halfway past the "incalculable loss" levels) since May, it going to be criticized.Since you are the Guru when does a pandemic become an epidemic????
 You know kinda like a Hurricane is downgraded to a tropical storm.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:48:45 PM by Que82 »

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
I'm still waiting for nomenclature to tell me how the POTUS's messaging on COVID has influenced how folks like DeSantis, McMaster, Abbott, Kemp, and Reeves handle/fund it. :shrug:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule