News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: The Evolving Landscape Of HBCU Athletics  (Read 169 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
The Evolving Landscape Of HBCU Athletics
« on: September 22, 2022, 06:31:18 PM »
How some historically Black colleges and universities’ athletic departments are making a play to diversify their sports repertoires, and what that really means.
https://newsone.com/4392476/the-evolving-landscape-of-hbcu-athletics/
HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - MLK

“There’s the philosophical question of living in a regime that doesn’t believe I am a fully autonomous human with the power to make decisions about myself.” - Elizabeth Eager

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Evolving Landscape Of HBCU Athletics
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »
This is awesome...I hate that NCA&T let women's swimming go. Our plan is to add women's soccer...and it's my hope that we add men's soccer shortly thereafter.

Offline KnuckDogg

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 08:33:46 AM »
Are these schools offering rugby and lacrosse scholarships? That'll really and truly help balance out men's football scholarships. And of course it gives our black students a lot more options. I love it! I hope NSU will eventually start offering the same sports, too.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
This is awesome...I hate that NCA&T let women's swimming go. Our plan is to add women's soccer...and it's my hope that we add men's soccer shortly thereafter.

I’m sure the GAC (Greensboro Aquatic Club) would embrace this as the expense to operate and maintain a pool facility is enormous. Not equating this to A&T, but this was one of the reasons why Clemson doesn’t offer swimming or diving anymore. They have a Rec pool, no competition pool. The economics of aquatic programs is staggering.

Online LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 10:23:59 AM »
Lincoln University Men’s Lacrosse Club finds success in first year of play in HBCU Next Collegiate League

Lincoln (5-5), the third seed, will meet top-seeded Delaware State in a 1 p.m. game at Kehoe Track at Ludwig Field in College Park, Maryland. No. 2 Morgan State meets No. 4 Bowie State in the second game of the Final Four at 2 p.m. with the winners meeting for the crown at 4 p.m. Games will be televised this week on cable (see below).

Cable TV Schedule
Semi Final Tuesday at 8 pm Del State vs Lincoln
Semi Final 2 Tuesday at 8 pm Morgan State vs Bowie State
Consolation Game Thursday 8:00pm NCL Championship Thursday 9:00pm
Direct TV 623 – ATT Uverse 1665 – Verizon Fios 597

“We had a goal set in place earlier in the year to show the school, ‘Hey we’re good at lacrosse and to be honest we might be one of the best sports team on campus,'” said Quattlebaum, the Club President.

The NCL features six HBCUs: Lincoln, DelState, Bowie State, Maryland Eastern Shore, Coppin State and Morgan State University. What makes the league even more unique is its format.

The NCL has showcased the new Olympic-style lacrosse format, which is a faster-paced, 6v6 version of the sport. The discipline is called Olympic Style Lacrosse in hopes of being added to the 2028 Olympic Summer Games schedule in Los Angeles. The season began in April with the inaugural Crown Classic Tournament; each team played two games a day on Sunday, most at Kehoe Track at Ludwig Field. One set of games was played at the USA Lacrosse in Sparks, Md.

Quattlebaum, a Ridley grad who didn’t play scholastic lacrosse, taught himself the sport while growing up in Southwest Philadelphia. He convinced the Lincoln Athletic Department to honor a commitment that it made before the COVID-19 pandemic.

But the Lions didn’t have a coach until the first games began. That’s another unique story.

The NCL by founded by André Gudger, the Next Level Sports & Entertainment owner and CEO who owned the former Atlanta Blaze of Major League Lacrosse. Next Field Sports Director Liam Banks, Gudger’s coach at Atlanta and a former Syracuse and pro standout, is the league director and recruited the schools to enter the league.

Banks also has many Philly ties from his years directing LB3’s travel program and running clinics. He called on his high school friend, Mark Duncan, fellow Ward Melville grad and a former Lehigh standout who coached at Shipley School for 18 years, to serve as the Lincoln coach.

https://phillylacrosse.com/2022/lincoln-university-mens-lacrosse-club-finds-success-in-first-year-of-play-in-hbcu-next-collegiate-league/

Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule