News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: A Women’s College Goes Coed, and ‘Chaos Ensues’  (Read 231 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
A Women’s College Goes Coed, and ‘Chaos Ensues’
« on: September 19, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »
Notre Dame of Maryland University abruptly announced it would begin admitting male undergraduates next fall to combat enrollment declines. Backlash from students and alumnae was swift.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022/09/19/women%E2%80%99s-college-goes-coed-enraging-students-and-alumnae
HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - MLK

“There’s the philosophical question of living in a regime that doesn’t believe I am a fully autonomous human with the power to make decisions about myself.” - Elizabeth Eager

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GRRRrrr!!!
    • View Profile
Re: A Women’s College Goes Coed, and ‘Chaos Ensues’
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 12:30:49 PM »
Something that a lot of folks aren't aware of:

Bennett College started out as a CO-ED college.
1926 is when it became a women's college. 

Always found that to be rather interesting.

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 12:54:31 PM »
Something that a lot of folks aren't aware of:

Bennett College started out as a CO-ED college.
1926 is when it became a women's college. 

Always found that to be rather interesting.

I find it very interesting as well. As most of you all know NCA&T and Bennett are basically right across the street from each other...NCA&T started admitting women in 1928.

It's like the two schools flipped enrollment philosophies. Bennett was CO-ED and A&T wasn't...then Bennett became a women's college and A&T went CO-ED.

I have often wondered how things would be different at Bennett had they stayed CO-ED...especially when it comes to sports.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GRRRrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 02:36:21 PM »
Aggie, does the A&T bookstore also serve Bennett College or do they have their own?

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 04:41:26 AM »
Aggie, does the A&T bookstore also serve Bennett College or do they have their own?

Bennett buys their books at A&T.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 12:23:13 AM »
I knew a male Bennett grad. At my class reunion ten years ago, the oldest living Morehouse grad was a female who had been a speaker at a AUC program when I was a senior. When the original Atlanta University became a all graduate school with the establishment of the Atlanta University Center in 1929, the students were given the option of transferring into Morehouse or Spelman. Some of the females choise Morehouse. Bennett is the official Morehouse sister school and not Spelman.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 04:55:33 AM »
A few years back, Randolph College in Lynchburg, VA (formerly Randolph-Macon College) experienced the same backlash when it decided to go Coed and allow male enrollment. College is a business and students are the main part of their business.  Another school just outside of Lynchburg, VA might have to do the same.  It wasn't that long ago that the private women's school Sweet Briar College was about to close its doors.  I'm sure females at these schools have gotten accustomed to a male free/penis free campus and don't want no parts of allowing men to enroll, but these schools are constantly competing against more and more coed schools, such as VMI, which is now coed now that women are being allowed to enroll. VMI had to since it is one of the six federal funded military colleges in the country. Also, for Sweet Briar College to attract male students, I'm sure it would have to change its name and school colors, which is pink and green.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:22:46 AM by JAG89 »

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GRRRrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 11:26:43 AM »
Bennett is the official Morehouse sister school and not Spelman.

;D this always comes up - who is Morehouse's sister college - and the comments are always interesting.

True, Bennett is the 'official' sister college to Morehouse. What I have never known is what makes it 'OFFICIAL?'

I do know that when Dr. Mays was president, he was good friends with Bennett's college president. I forget his name.

But I think understand is that this 'official' connection came out of that.

So, for any who are still confused....  :lol:

Bennett is the OFFICIAL sister college to Morehouse.

BUT the RELATIONSHIP is with Spelman College...no ifs ands or buts about that.

Am I wrong here?

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »
Are the studs and they gotta share the pudding pops now? That's who's really mad :snicker
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 01:02:37 PM »
True JT. I do not know what makes it official. You know that there is usually a Bennett car in the Spelhouse homecoming parade. I don't think anyone from Bennett is introduced at half time. For years the Morehouse Glee Club sung at Bennett at Thanksgiving and Bennett came to Morehouse in the spring. We could not wait to spend a night and two days on the Bennett campus. Those were the days when it was said that the Glee Club was more popular than the football team. Our only hope athletically was a fair track team and a basketball team that was often good enough to make it to the SIAC tournament quarterfinals.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule