News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Why I-73 and I-74 Will NEVER Be Built Outside of North Carolina  (Read 232 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Why I-73 and I-74 Will NEVER Be Built Outside of North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 12:55:21 AM »
I-74 appears to have been improperly labeled, since it mainly runs North and South bound, it should have been labeled as an odd number interstate.  Also, since both interstates will not go beyond North Carolina's borders, they should be labeled as intrastate highways instead of interstate highways.  Most intrastate highways are triple digit highways, such as I-405 in the Los Angeles area of California. Technically, I-495 around the DC metro is not an intrastate highway, it's a interstate highway, since it does travel in both Virginia, Maryland, and a tiny piece of DC when crossing the Potomac River or the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 09:02:19 AM »
There is an I-74 running between Indy and Cincy. I know it doesn’t go further east of Cincy and have seen it referenced in  Virginia. Looks to me it should somehow follow the southern OH & WV boarders and connect down in VA and NC.

True dat Jag, it shouldn’t have a odd number designation as it’s path is NW-SE in nature today and will follow that same path if they were to connect it from Iowa to SC.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
I-74 is off because it is a road of compromise. Several states could not decide the route of I-73, so they used I-74 as a fix. In NC, though it runs mostly north-south, it was created as an east-west connector to fix the dispute with VA and to reconnect it to I-73. The same thing happened/happening in WV and SC. 

An example of this would be I-40 and I-85 in NC. They both run together in the middle of the state, but technically 85 is the Atlanta/Petersburg highway, (north-south); where I-40 is the Wilmington/Barstow highway (east-west).

I-73 was originally known as the Detroit-Charleston highway, (north-south). I-74 is in fact an east-west interstate in the midwest, but it became a road of compromise, in order to get I-73 completed in the south. NC uses I-74 as an east-west I-73 connector, then it piggybacks I-73 south to US 74 where it will travel east-west again to Wilmington. SC will split the road,  going to Myrtle Beach and reconnecting in Charleston. 

All of this boils down to money, the feds created I-73 but they did not fund it. Aside from NC, the states are using existing roads to get it done, and the original I-74 is a causality of this.

Offline amtrak-90

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 02:03:00 PM »
I was raised in one of those SC counties the first video mentioned: Dillon County. We were banking on that interstate. The county has built infrastructure to become a warehouse & manufacturing hub because our county would have I-95 & I-73/74 come through, 20 minutes from the end of I-20 and is the county that northerners come through on the way to the beach. I actually know people who have gotten some good money for their land to make way for the interstate.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 03:48:35 PM »
I was raised in one of those SC counties the first video mentioned: Dillon County. We were banking on that interstate. The county has built infrastructure to become a warehouse & manufacturing hub because our county would have I-95 & I-73/74 come through, 20 minutes from the end of I-20 and is the county that northerners come through on the way to the beach. I actually know people who have gotten some good money for their land to make way for the interstate.

I've been following this for decades and it vexes the hell out of me why SC is dragging their feet on this. NC is building an intestate quality road of US 74 because they want a direct connector from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach.  The Monroe Bypass opened 3 years ago, and the Wadesboro Bypass is about to be put out for bid. The Rockingham section of I-73 is a year from being completed. Those two roads will dump all that traffic onto SC roads that won't be able to handle it. We are taking about all the Myrtle Beach vacationers from the midwest states and Charlotte.  SC keeps approving the money and then using it for something else.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 06:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the post Cap. I thought that it was weird the first time I drove from Hartsville, SC to Greensboro, NC that there was this unfinished interstate (I-74).

Offline amtrak-90

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »
South Carolina: First to secede from the Union, last succeed in life!

I've been following this for decades and it vexes the hell out of me why SC is dragging their feet on this. NC is building an intestate quality road of US 74 because they want a direct connector from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach.  The Monroe Bypass opened 3 years ago, and the Wadesboro Bypass is about to be put out for bid. The Rockingham section of I-73 is a year from being completed. Those two roads will dump all that traffic onto SC roads that won't be able to handle it. We are taking about all the Myrtle Beach vacationers from the midwest states and Charlotte.  SC keeps approving the money and then using it for something else.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 02:58:31 PM »
South Carolina: First to secede from the Union, last succeed in life!

It's funny that you mentioned that Amtrak. The south was penalized for the next 100 years for it's actions that led to the civil war. Now Trump supporter want to do it again. They need to take a history class to learn that is not a good idea.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule