News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg and Infrastructure Racism  (Read 240 times)

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Pete Buttigieg and Infrastructure Racism
« on: August 02, 2022, 09:53:16 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cgwxs14lWUW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Pete Buttigieg is spot on.  I can take this topic even farther.  Infrastructures in Black neighbors were initially built below standards, whereas infrastructures in White neighborhoods were initially built above standards.  Take my old childhood neighborhood in Alexandria, LA as an example. There are sewer lines in Black neighborhoods that are barely 36 inches below grade at their flow line, which I do believe the Ten States Standards for Sewer Collection Systems requires that the top (crown) of a sewer line has to have at least a MINIMUM of 36 inches of cover.  And there are a multitude of other examples that can be listed.  Due to infrastructure racism, Black neighborhoods have exponentially depreciated in value, while White neighborhoods have increased in value.  Once the depreciated value of Black neighborhoods have reached rock bottom, the Federal Government list them as Opportunity Zones in order to raise their economic profile via tax incentives for investors who buy land from property owners at super low values to economically redevelop the neighborhood.  Most redeveloped neighborhoods are re-built with above standard infrastructures and then placed back on the market at premium prices, which in turn raises the property value of those who have remained, but at a much higher tax rate that most of them can't afford.  Basically, another form of gentrification via economic development.  Based on infrastructure racism, it would seem like a few lawyers could easily file several class action lawsuits against municipalities that were aware and allowed this type of racist practice to happen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:56:26 PM by JAG89 »

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Buttigeg and Infrastructure Racism
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 11:55:50 PM »
The entire YouTube video.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Buttigieg and Infrastructure Racism
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 12:45:11 AM »
Good stuff. This is something that is not talked about enough.

Offline iceman4221

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Beast of the MidEast with 17 Football Championships and Counting...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 07:36:11 AM »
I always viewed the Federal Goverments Opportunity Zones with suspicion but could never put my finger on why they disturbed my spirit - this brings clarity to my "inner feelings" on the matter...

Thanks JAG89
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:08:10 AM by iceman4221 »
NEVER Deliberate, Debate or Argue About what is Clearly Wrong and/or Unjust, and Try to Persuade Yourself or Others that it's Not...

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 08:27:22 AM »
Thinking about what Jag89 posted reminds me of when a lot of the interstate systems were put in and how they destroyed Black/minority neighborhoods. I distinctly remember cousins of ours on my dad's side of the family, who owned a beautiful one-of-a-kind stone-built (huge gray stones) home that had ivy running up the sides of it, and was one of the few homes in the Orlando area that had a basement and a detached garage. They eminent domained that neighborhood right through where that house sat and ran I-4.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 04:11:03 PM »
Same thing happened here with I-75 and I-96... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 06:38:02 PM »
In Greensboro, the same thing happened with the landfill and waste treatment plant. Interesting thing, the airport is on the white folk side of town. Don't know how they ended up with that?

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »
I like him, I would vote for him for President.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 12:39:55 AM »

We really need a young president. Biden is looking real elderly these days.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 06:30:28 AM »

The freeway (US-147) literally cut through Hayti (the black neighborhood) to connect downtown with Research Triangle Park.  The "Black Wall Street" neighborhood never recovered its economic power, and is now an Opportunity Zone.  The main tenants seem to be hipster-focused restaurants and breweries.

Racist-lites really dislike that Buttigieg continues to bring racial equity in infrastructure to the forefront as a conversation.  There was a lot of backlash for him and VP Harris mentioning racism in tree-planting.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 06:34:07 AM by WileECoyote06 »

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 09:18:38 AM »

We really need a young president. Biden is looking real elderly these days.

Thats why he has a young-ish VP.

I been very close to some OZ figures and even attended an event for it at the White House when TFG was in office. Iceman's' suspicions are correct.

Basically its a $$ grab and tax dodge to be on the front end of gentrification. When you drill down, jobs and the local residents are almost figured out of any business analysis.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 12:22:01 PM »
Pete Buttigieg can definitely communicate. As for opportunity zones, of course they don't work and are exploitive. They were pushed by White and Black RepubliKKKans.

Trump-era Opportunity Zones meant to help low-income communities exploited by investors

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/trump-era-opportunity-zones-meant-to-help-low-income-communities-exploited-by-investors

Opportunity Zones, embraced by Trump and Raimondo, exploit low-income communities and enrich billionaires

https://upriseri.com/2019-11-06-opportunity-zones/#:~:text=Opportunity%20Zones%2C%20embraced%20by%20Trump%20and%20Raimondo%2C%20exploit,Published%20on%20November%206%2C%202019%20By%20Steve%20Ahlquist

Offline iceman4221

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Beast of the MidEast with 17 Football Championships and Counting...
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »

The freeway (US-147) literally cut through Hayti (the black neighborhood) to connect downtown with Research Triangle Park.  The "Black Wall Street" neighborhood never recovered its economic power, and is now an Opportunity Zone.  The main tenants seem to be hipster-focused restaurants and breweries.

Racist-lites really dislike that Buttigieg continues to bring racial equity in infrastructure to the forefront as a conversation.  There was a lot of backlash for him and VP Harris mentioning racism in tree-planting.

I literally planned to move here after graduating from SC State University in 1987 with a B.S. in Computer Science (and the MBA I acquired while living here in Durham) because of the "Fame of Hayti" and the business opportunities of the Research Triangle Park...

I agree with you, WileECoyote06, about the devastation that remains from the running of NC-147 through Hayti, the recovery of "Black Wall Street" has not come to fruition as of this present day...   :no: :no: :no: 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:53:40 AM by iceman4221 »
NEVER Deliberate, Debate or Argue About what is Clearly Wrong and/or Unjust, and Try to Persuade Yourself or Others that it's Not...

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule