News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Gregory Moore, SIAC commissioner to step down after nearly 14 years  (Read 449 times)

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Gregory Moore, SIAC commissioner to step down after nearly 14 years
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 09:00:14 PM »
hopefully, the SIAC has a plan moving forward with sold leadership. 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 10:27:26 PM »
I attended the last two basketball championships in Rock Hill...untill Morehouse lost. I went to three in Birmingham and two in Atlanta before then. I said then that the criticism for Morehouse's lack of support was unjustified. SIAC schools attend their own games and nothing more. For those of you who don't know, College Park, Georgia is adjacent to Atlanta. People said that playing in Forbes Arena on the Morehouse campus gave Morehouse a home court advantage which it did not. Benedict and Claflin did quite well playing at Forbes. Getting statistics is difficult to do. However there appears to be a point of around 1,000 which is all that you are going to get for the championship game no matter where it is played. Only the CAU women may do better. Gregory Moore heard the complaints and he reacted. So we play in Rock Hill, South Carolina. A very nice facility and convention center built to attract these types of activities. Most D11 basketball championships are played on one teams campus. Attendance is often much worse than for the SIAC. Only the CIAA does measurably better.
You threw me off with your "D11".  I think it's either D2 or DII. :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 11:30:20 PM »
Correct. Thanks.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 06:29:09 AM »
I attended the last two basketball championships in Rock Hill...untill Morehouse lost. I went to three in Birmingham and two in Atlanta before then. I said then that the criticism for Morehouse's lack of support was unjustified. SIAC schools attend their own games and nothing more. For those of you who don't know, College Park, Georgia is adjacent to Atlanta. People said that playing in Forbes Arena on the Morehouse campus gave Morehouse a home court advantage which it did not. Benedict and Claflin did quite well playing at Forbes. Getting statistics is difficult to do. However there appears to be a point of around 1,000 which is all that you are going to get for the championship game no matter where it is played. Only the CAU women may do better. Gregory Moore heard the complaints and he reacted. So we play in Rock Hill, South Carolina. A very nice facility and convention center built to attract these types of activities. Most D11 basketball championships are played on one teams campus. Attendance is often much worse than for the SIAC. Only the CIAA does measurably better.

Right. If attendance wasn’t significantly better in Atlanta, the city where every HBCU has a significant alumni base, then it’s not going to be better anywhere else. For whatever reason, SIAC fans just don’t get all that excited about basketball. I get it. Rock Hill is technically outside the conference’s footprint. But the place they play at now is a really nice, appropriately sized, arena with plenty of parking and reasonably priced concessions. I can’t think of a single complaint I had from attending this year’s tournament. Granted, I didn’t interview every single person in the gym but it felt like the fans that were in attendance were pleased with the venue as well.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 06:37:56 AM »

Right. If attendance wasn’t significantly better in Atlanta, the city where every HBCU has a significant alumni base, then it’s not going to be better anywhere else. For whatever reason, SIAC fans just don’t get all that excited about basketball. I get it. Rock Hill is technically outside the conference’s footprint. But the place they play at now is a really nice, appropriately sized, arena with plenty of parking and reasonably priced concessions. I can’t think of a single complaint I had from attending this year’s tournament. Granted, I didn’t interview every single person in the gym but it felt like the fans that were in attendance were pleased with the venue as well.
I think they know attendance will suck no matter where the tournament is so they look at the perks they can receive from the venue.  I also think they were anticipating crowds from Benedict and Claflin before Claflin bolted to the CIAA.  Not sure why there weren't always big crowds in Atlanta for every game.  I was shocked that there wasn't a bigger crown one year when Morehouse Morehouse was playing CAU.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:50:30 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 10:37:07 AM »
What really schocked me is what appeared to be the comradery in Rock Hill. Everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves. Coach Ruffin even spoke to me
and he did not know who I was.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule