News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Tuskegee AD has DI plans,...  (Read 3078 times)

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Tuskegee AD has DI plans,...
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2022, 12:50:15 AM »
The big difference in now and previously is that there are now members of the Board of Trustees who are supportive of a move. Not only that, but Ruffin wouldn’t be discussing it publicly if the administration was totally opposed to such a move!!! My take is that they have basically said to Ruffin that if you can raise the money, and generate all the resources to go forth with it, put your money where your mouth is and get the ball to rolling!!!
Pretty much confirms my feelings when they hired him all of a sudden just out of the blue. That Willie Slater was holding them back because he loved being the Big fish in the little pond so to speak. I'm sure they aren't just leaving it up to him to raise the money. Because this is no small endeavor.  You just can't throw a fish fry and get this done.
Naw, they have been mediocre since 2018.

The guy only has two losing season in 15 years. In that time won or shared about ten SIAC titles in a row and one national title. That's far from being even close to mediocre.
Tuskegee had back-to-back five wins seasons in 2018 & 2019. They won three games last season. Tuskegee has won 7 SIAC titles under him. Where did you get your info from?
I got it from the recorded archives. What's point are you attempting to make by highlighting back to back five win seasons?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline AntonioM229

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2022, 03:00:21 AM »
The big difference in now and previously is that there are now members of the Board of Trustees who are supportive of a move. Not only that, but Ruffin wouldn’t be discussing it publicly if the administration was totally opposed to such a move!!! My take is that they have basically said to Ruffin that if you can raise the money, and generate all the resources to go forth with it, put your money where your mouth is and get the ball to rolling!!!
Pretty much confirms my feelings when they hired him all of a sudden just out of the blue. That Willie Slater was holding them back because he loved being the Big fish in the little pond so to speak. I'm sure they aren't just leaving it up to him to raise the money. Because this is no small endeavor.  You just can't throw a fish fry and get this done.

The guy only has two losing season in 15 years. In that time won or shared about ten SIAC titles in a row and one national title. That's far from being even close to mediocre.
Tuskegee had back-to-back five wins seasons in 2018 & 2019. They won three games last season. Tuskegee has won 7 SIAC titles under him. Where did you get your info from?
I got it from the recorded archives. What's point are you attempting to make by highlighting back to back five win seasons?
You got your info wrong. Slater's first year was in 2006. He won 7 SIAC titles. Hell, I don't know any team in the SIAC that won 10 straight conference titles. All I'm saying is they have been mediocre since 2018. Why do you think so many Tuskegee alums wanted him gone last year?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 03:03:04 AM by AntonioM229 »

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2022, 07:56:05 AM »
All I'm going to say, Tuskegee has always had the brain 🧠 power.  After 140 years of being in existence (one year younger than SU), it's way beyond the time for our most prestigious and private HBCUs to show off their talent on a much bigger stage and it's goes beyond football and sports.  Playing at the DI level will provide Tuskegee a chance to market itself to a much wider audience. Also, a few premier DI HBCU football schools owe their existence to Tuskegee, such as Grambling, which was founded by Charles P. Adams, a Tuskegee graduate. Although later on, it took a SU graduate (Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones aka Prez) to hire the Legendary Coach Eddie Robinson, Sr. who put Grambling on the map as the face of HBCU football. Prez Jones was also responsible for growing Grambling from an Industrial School for Negroes to Grambling College and now Grambling State University.  Prez Jones father (John Sebastian Jones aka Dean Jones) was one of SU's founders and the school's first dean. IMO, Tuskegee's legacy and history should be right up there with SU and Grambling when it comes football and sports in general. I would love to see Tuskegee a member institution of the SWAC whenever the conference decides to make that move as a FBS football conference.
Thanks JAG89 for the historical background and the kind compliments. It's gonna be quite interesting how this whole D1 agenda workout. Again wishing Mother Tuskegee only the best.
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2022, 08:52:20 AM »

You got your info wrong. Slater's first year was in 2006. He won 7 SIAC titles. Hell, I don't know any team in the SIAC that won 10 straight conference titles. All I'm saying is they have been mediocre since 2018. Why do you think so many Tuskegee alums wanted him gone last year?
I clearly said about ten in a row.

As for the mediocre part, i guess we have different ideas of what that means. He had two seasons of .500 and one losing season, his second in his career. You were giving the impression as if he went five years in a row with a losing record below .500.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2022, 10:48:12 AM »
If TU could go SWAC East with SC State or Albany it would make for a very interesting situation.  The furthest travel within the SWAC East would be 5.5hrs (Orangeburg, SC).  But we all know that until we see a few facility upgrades this is looking like wishful thinking.

East:

BCU
FAMU
AL A&M
AL State
SC State / Albany
TU
JSU

Yeah, I will believe this when they get some lights down in that hole and play some night games. It's rough playing at noon with that Macon County heat set on Hell!  :shrug::tiptoe:

Correction: it’s set at Normal when you roll thru…you going skrait to hell anyway…should be used to that type of heat by now

The last time we played Skegee in 2014 the kids were under the shed partying the whole game and I was at the concession stand buying every bottle of overpriced water I could get my hands on to keep from having a heat stroke in September.  I could have sworn I saw a sign that read "Air-conditioned by Satan" :lol:

SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »

https://tud1explore.com/category/stadium-future/

Skegee if this is the goal or part of it, I ain't at all mad atcha.
Pass the blueprint on over to your maroon cuzzins on Westview Drive.  :blush:

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »
 :lol:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU Rams
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »

I haven't gotten any email from these guys in years. Let me go check my spam. Lol...

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »
Bluedog, this may be a year or 2 old, not sure. 
I know they have some kind of renovation construction, something going on over there at the stadium.
What exactly, time will tell.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »

Pretty sure that's a picture of Elon's stadium and they photoshopped it to duplicate the home side on the visitors side.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2022, 12:51:32 PM »
Thats just a rendering of a possibility.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2022, 12:54:33 PM »
I know they have some kind of renovation construction, something going on over there at the stadium.
If you're referring to the site and the pic. It was twelve years ago. That's when they launched the exploratory committee/group to look into moving up to D1 and when I got on their mailing list for updates and donations
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 01:10:21 PM by bluedog »

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
All I'm going to say, Tuskegee has always had the brain 🧠 power.  After 140 years of being in existence (one year younger than SU), it's way beyond the time for our most prestigious and private HBCUs to show off their talent on a much bigger stage and it's goes beyond football and sports.  Playing at the DI level will provide Tuskegee a chance to market itself to a much wider audience. Also, a few premier DI HBCU football schools owe their existence to Tuskegee, such as Grambling, which was founded by Charles P. Adams, a Tuskegee graduate. Although later on, it took a SU graduate (Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones aka Prez) to hire the Legendary Coach Eddie Robinson, Sr. who put Grambling on the map as the face of HBCU football. Prez Jones was also responsible for growing Grambling from an Industrial School for Negroes to Grambling College and now Grambling State University.  Prez Jones father (John Sebastian Jones aka Dean Jones) was one of SU's founders and the school's first dean. IMO, Tuskegee's legacy and history should be right up there with SU and Grambling when it comes football and sports in general. I would love to see Tuskegee a member institution of the SWAC whenever the conference decides to make that move as a FBS football conference.
Thanks JAG89 for the historical background and the kind compliments. It's gonna be quite interesting how this whole D1 agenda workout. Again wishing Mother Tuskegee only the best.

Yes, a Tuskegee graduate founded Grambling, a SU grad grew it and put it on the map. There are some who wondered why SU didn't hire Eddie Robinson as their head football coach, but at that time, Eddie wasn't the best HBCU coach in Louisiana.  Eddie was nowhere near as good as Coach Mumford, but unfortunately for us, Coach Mumford passed away before the start of the 1962 season. I've always wondered how different history would have been if Coach Mumford would have lived to coach at SU for another 20 to 30 years.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/southern/article_3c96304e-8f0f-11e6-884c-ab5faea7abb2.html

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2022, 01:34:03 PM »
If you're referring to the site and the pic. It was twelve years ago. That's when they launched the exploratory committee/group to look into moving up to D1 and when I got on their mailing list for updates and donations

:nod:

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2022, 05:05:37 PM »
Why would Albany or SC State want to join the SWAC?
If they could why wouldn't they?

As far as Albany State is concerned it does nothing for us. We are not aligned with the SWAC schools, our footprint is State/Regional. We are already in a HBCU Conference, so what would joining the SWAC do for us. If we were to leave the SIAC, I would prefer it be to form an all Georgia D2 school conference. We are not D1 school, simple as that. Everything that glitters, ain't gold.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule