News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Source: MEAC, Chicago State weighing options  (Read 764 times)

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Source: MEAC, Chicago State weighing options
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 04:08:50 PM »
Well people wanted Thomas to recruit non-HBCUs so here ya go.
Actually Chicago State is an hbcu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_State_University

They are a PBI, not an HBCU.

Offline EagleWing

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2022, 06:21:56 PM »
Not interested in Chicago state but I don’t blame the MEAC for doing it’s due diligence. If they were to come onboard for basketball that’s fine, as a full member? Nah.

The MEAC was forced and now it has to explore all options.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2022, 08:37:42 AM »
It makes more sense for UMES and Coppin State to start up football than taking a start-up football playing school from the mid-west. This is crazy and preposterous.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

THIS should have been done DECADES ago. UMES [Maryland State] has a serious football team back in the 70's. I know Coppin State had football at one time years ago. I feel like the MEAC should have replaced them years ago.

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2022, 05:20:05 AM »
Founded in 1867 as the Cook County Normal School.

1938 Chicago Teachers College (CTC)

As the demographic composition of the south side of Chicago changed, increasing numbers of African-American students began to attend the college. By the 1950s, nearly 30% of the student body was black.

In 1967, it became Chicago State University.

Chicago State University in 1971

By the mid-1960s the college's infrastructure was deteriorating and tensions between the majority white student body and the mostly black surrounding neighborhood were on the rise.

the African-American portion of the student body swelled from 60% at the outset of the 1970s to over 80% by 1980.

These shifting demographics encouraged a debate over whether CSU should be considered a predominantly African-American institution, akin to the HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) or whether it should retain a multicultural and multiracial identity. That debate has continued in some form ever since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_State_University#1950%E2%80%931979:_Name_changes,_new_location

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2022, 10:00:08 AM »
It makes more sense for UMES and Coppin State to start up football than taking a start-up football playing school from the mid-west. This is crazy and preposterous.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

It’s great to see these debates and everyone finally acknowledging that we want the MEAC to survive as a conference no matter who’s represented. The MEAC expanded several times since UMES dropped football. The problem is that since then founding members and those same expansion members have found other landing spots.

UMES will not add football since their athletic department is not state funded. The start up cost alone would be double their current department budget.

THIS should have been done DECADES ago. UMES [Maryland State] has a serious football team back in the 70's. I know Coppin State had football at one time years ago. I feel like the MEAC should have replaced them years ago.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2022, 11:30:21 AM »

UMES was ehhhhh to aiiiight in the 70's.

They were DEFINITELY powerhouses in the 40's 50's and 60's. I believe the program folded after the 1979 regular season. I wish they could have rebuilt the program years ago when talks seemed to be very serious.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2021, 2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2021, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2022, 01:55:59 PM »