News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Source: MEAC, Chicago State weighing options  (Read 1160 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Source: MEAC, Chicago State weighing options
« on: January 11, 2022, 02:44:10 PM »
A year after our initial report, sources indicate that the MEAC and Chicago State are continuing to feel each other out.
https://hbcugameday.com/2022/01/11/source-meac-chicago-state-weighing-options/
HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - MLK

“There’s the philosophical question of living in a regime that doesn’t believe I am a fully autonomous human with the power to make decisions about myself.” - Elizabeth Eager

Offline Blackwell

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Source: MEAC, Chicago State weighing options
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 02:59:36 PM »
Makes no sense.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »
Makes no sense.

....AT ALL!

But if they think so.....OK.   ;)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »
Interesting

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »
It might not be as crazy as it seems.  Looks like Basketball and Volleyball are the only real sports that the current MEAC members would have to travel to Chicago for, and not every volleyball team would need to travel there each season. 

Chicago State could travel to current MEAC schools for all the other sports and compete in "conference roundups" to fulfill their conference schedules.

If I am a MEAC school the ability to market my school in Chicago might be worth the cost to send my basketball teams out there once a year.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 07:01:15 PM »
This very small school isn't on anyone's list of HBCUs. Now they are wanting to join the MEAC? They must be very lonely up there by themselves.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 07:03:51 PM »
It might not be as crazy as it seems.  Looks like Basketball and Volleyball are the only real sports that the current MEAC members would have to travel to Chicago for, and not every volleyball team would need to travel there each season. 

Chicago State could travel to current MEAC schools for all the other sports and compete in "conference roundups" to fulfill their conference schedules.

If I am a MEAC school the ability to market my school in Chicago might be worth the cost to send my basketball teams out there once a year.

agreed.  robert morris and monmouth don't make sense in the bsc either.  but when you're hanging on by a thin thread for the mere "survival" of your conference, it does make sense.

same for the meac.  beggars can't be "choosey"...

Offline Blackwell

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 07:46:40 PM »
If travel costs is a concern for conference members, how is making the trip to Chicago going to be a positive?

Wouldn't it be more practical to seek options within the current conference footprint?

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 09:09:37 PM »

agreed.  robert morris and monmouth don't make sense in the bsc either.  but when you're hanging on by a thin thread for the mere "survival" of your conference, it does make sense.

Lol. The difference is that those schools you named play one sport in their conference. Chicago State is trying to come in as a full member and add football.

And it doesn't seem that the MEAC or Chicago State are begging. They are courting each other.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »

Lol. The difference is that those schools you named play one sport in their conference. Chicago State is trying to come in as a full member and add football.

And it doesn't seem that the MEAC or Chicago State are begging. They are courting each other.

With Chicago States current sports Basketball would require each MEAC school to travel there.  Some schools may have to travel for Volleyball and Tennis, but scheduling conference roundups and midseason round robins could help to limit the need for current MEAC schools to travel to Chicago.  The other sports like track, cross country, and golf aren't sports that would require schools to visit Chicago.

In my opionion I would actually be against Chicago State adding football.  The cost associated with that travel may be too much to justify for MEAC schools, even though the trip only has to be made once every other year.

MEAC might not be officially begging, but adding more members has to be part of their priority.  Chicago State is about to be without a home so they are begging to be somewhere.  They have been stuck in the Great West and then WAC, so it's obvious that none of the conferences in their geographic footprint want them.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 09:42:21 PM »
If travel costs is a concern for conference members, how is making the trip to Chicago going to be a positive?

Wouldn't it be more practical to seek options within the current conference footprint?

Traveling with a basketball, volleyball, or tennis team to Chicago should be a lot less expensive then the costs associated with travel related to football games up and down the midatlantic and southeast.  I don't know if the MEAC schools charter flights for bball, but in the event they don't, flying to Chicago should actually not be that bad.  Chicago is a hub city for multiple airlines which allows all the MEAC schools to fly direct and find competitive pricing for tickets.

It would be more practical to find new members in the current footprint, but unless they get a D2 school to move up what current D1 school do you think the MEAC could get to join?

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 10:07:42 PM »
The MEAC has to seriously take a look at this. There’s an obvious need to add an additional member institution. Chicago State, Kentucky State, Central State, Bluefield State, Virginia State all should be in play

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 10:18:03 PM »
No harm in exploring options and opportunities by all parties.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 10:44:34 PM »

beggars can't be "choosey".  its that simple...

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 10:57:46 PM »

see, what you "still" don't understand is that "most" sports teams in the meac have "independent" regular season schedules, not "conference mandated" regular season schedules.

that means "most" sports teams in the meac would not have to travel to chicago and vice versa.  chicago state doesn't have football, so that's a "non-factor".  the only sports to travel to chicago is basketball. baseball, volleyball, and softball have had "divisional play" in the past and if that continues, only half the conference in those sports may have to travel to chicago and vice versa.

all other sports (which are the majority of each school's sports teams) have "independent schedules" and never have to travel to chicago or vice versa.

its not ideal, but it is plausible...

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule