News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Florida A&M Prepared to Battle Huge Odds Versus SLU (Sports Illustrated)  (Read 607 times)

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Florida A&M Prepared to Battle Huge Odds Versus SLU (Sports Illustrated)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 03:18:14 PM »
Rattlers have had more success in FCS playoffs than perhaps the rest of us combined. I won't be surprised if they advance further than predicted.

I think FAMU has the opportunity to become the first MEAC team to win an FCS playoff game and first SWAC team to win a playoff game?
Decks…….. agree with what you state here, but was curious about the Meac FCS win record. I believe FAMU was a member of the Meac when we won the ‘78 1-AA national championship. I believe we were no longer a member of SIAC at the time. Or…….are you distinguishing 1-AA from FCS?  And 1-AA of course was the forerunner to FCS.

Please explain.

I was including IAA and FCS. Now that I think about it FAMU may have been an independent when they won the IAA title in 1978. If that is the case then SC State holds distinction of securing the MEAC's first playoff victory in 1981.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »
Rattlers have had more success in FCS playoffs than perhaps the rest of us combined. I won't be surprised if they advance further than predicted.

I think FAMU has the opportunity to become the first MEAC team to win an FCS playoff game and first SWAC team to win a playoff game?
I could be wrong but technically they didn't win their first playoff game in the MEAC until the late 90's.  They didn't officially become a member of the MEAC until 1979 and they won the playoff games in 1978.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 04:40:54 PM »
I like the fact that they continue to overlook our nationally ranked defense. I predict FAMU's offense will start slow as usual but the defense will rule the day.

The Rattler offense can’t afford a slow start. That team puts points on the board. FAM’s QB has to be more consistent in this game. He can’t afford the be off target on passes.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »

Decks…….. agree with what you state here, but was curious about the Meac FCS win record. I believe FAMU was a member of the Meac when we won the ‘78 1-AA national championship. I believe we were no longer a member of SIAC at the time. Or…….are you distinguishing 1-AA from FCS?  And 1-AA of course was the forerunner to FCS.

Please explain.

I was including IAA and FCS. Now that I think about it FAMU may have been an independent when they won the IAA title in 1978. If that is the case then SC State holds distinction of securing the MEAC's first playoff victory in 1981.
^^^This
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
Congrats to the Rattlers on their season and for making it in to the playoffs.  :nod:

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
Congrats to the Rattlers on their season and for making it in to the playoffs.  :nod:
:nod:……..Indeed!   Thanks.

Now on to rally behind Bowie State, and prepare for Swac championship game and Celebration Bowl. 👍

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 10:32:41 PM »
Read FAMU fans were subject to racist taunting at game   one child was hit in face with beer can

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 11:50:25 PM »
True the SWAC has reputation and the crowds but I never considered them to be a better conference than the MEAC. I think that the addition of Florida A & M tips the balence in their favor.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2021, 01:02:05 AM »
True the SWAC has reputation and the crowds but I never considered them to be a better conference than the MEAC. I think that the addition of Florida A & M tips the balence in their favor.

The 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s belonged to the SWAC from top to bottom.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 07:01:39 AM »
Read FAMU fans were subject to racist taunting at game   one child was hit in face with beer can

I'm not surprised.  David Duke lives only a hop, skip, and a jump from Hammond, LA in Mandeville, LA. The Northshore is a known racist area where White flight out of New Orleans relocated to.  This is Steve Scalise's area.

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2021, 07:54:37 AM »

I'm not surprised.  David Duke lives only a hop, skip, and a jump from Hammond, LA in Mandeville, LA. The Northshore is a known racist area where White flight out of New Orleans relocated to.  This is Steve Scalise's area.
:no:………when the FCS pairings were first announced back on 11/21, and I discovered the Rattlers were being sent to this rural Louisiana hamlet, I had a dread that the “reception” would be what is being discussed here and in the article^^^. And, knowing how negro students at these PWI’s are pretty much brain washed, wouldn’t be surprised at all if some, if not most, of the taunting came from negroes.

I think the Swac commissioner should lodge inquiries and/or complaints with the FCS playoff committee about how our fans were treated. This bullschitt just simply can NOT be tolerated in   21st century America.   >:(

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »

:no:………when the FCS pairings were first announced back on 11/21, and I discovered the Rattlers were being sent to this rural Louisiana hamlet, I had a dread that the “reception” would be what is being discussed here and in the article^^^. And, knowing how negro students at these PWI’s are pretty much brain washed, wouldn’t be surprised at all if some, if not most, of the taunting came from negroes.

I think the Swac commissioner should lodge inquiries and/or complaints with the FCS playoff committee about how our fans were treated. This bullschitt just simply can NOT be tolerated in   21st century America.   >:(

Actually, that area is not as rural as some would think.  The two parishes in that area Tangipahoa and St. Tammany parishes have a combined population of approximately 400k, mostly White folks who left the New Orleans area looking for more whiteness. Also, those parishes are a part of Louisiana that is called the Florida Parishes, which they used to be part of Florida when it was territory once occupied by Spain and Great Britain. If you include Livingston Parish, which is closer to Baton Rouge, those are White folks who recently have taken flight out of Baton Rouge.  Those parishes combined makeup the fastest growing area in Louisiana, basically the entire length of the I-12 corridor.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2021, 08:28:49 AM »
I am curious as to why Black players would choose Southeastern Louisiana over Grambling or Southern.  :shrug:

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2021, 08:31:25 AM »
Well SLU is about get their butts kicked.  They have to travel to Harrisonburg, VA next week to take on James Madison.  They will probably fly them from New Orleans, LA to Roanoke, VA and then take a 30 mile bus ride to Harrisonburg, VA.  That's a long trip to take to get your ass whipped.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule