News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: FRIED TURKEY, ANYONE?  (Read 230 times)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
FRIED TURKEY, ANYONE?
« on: November 24, 2021, 01:12:59 AM »
NOPE.  ON SECOND THOUGHT THIS TOPIC HAS PROBABLY BEEN ADDRESSED TOO MANY TIMES HERE ON ONNIDAN OVER THE YEARS.  :lmao:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: FRIED TURKEY, ANYONE?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 05:40:25 AM »
I only eat turkey fried. I will eat a good smoked one, but not oven cooked.
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 06:57:39 AM »
We fry one every year.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »
Haven’t completely decided if we are smoking it or following our trusted Bobby Flay roasted Turkey recipe.

That sucker is getting brined this morning in preparation

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
Haven’t completely decided if we are smoking it or following our trusted Bobby Flay roasted Turkey recipe.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THE BRINING PROCESS.  I HAVE NEVER TRIED IT.  :shrug:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »

Now you want someone to do your research.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 11:02:50 AM »

LET ME MAKE THIS AS PLAIN, DIRECT AND AS SIMPLE AS I KNOW HOW.  I DO NOT LIKE YOU OR RESPECT YOU.   I DO NOT CARE TO ENGAGE IN ANY TYPE OF DISCOURSE AND EXCHANGES WITH YOU.  SO AS NOT TO BE ANY MORE UNPLEASANT THAN I HAVE TO, I SIMPLY WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY OF YOUR POSTS AND I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST YOU DO THE SAME FOR ME.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 11:13:54 AM »
CIAA Fan -

I typically brine, or soak lean meats in a salt based water solution, to provide a bit of moisture and flavor to the chicken or Turkey. I put the herbs and citrus components in with the bird and water. I let it go for 24-48 hours depending on size. The bird is thoroughly rinsed and cleaned before preparing after brining. It gives the bird some additional moisture before preparing. Since brining, we’ve never had an overly dry turkey - from the smoker nor oven.

There are tons of recipes with all types of brining options. I keep mine simple with cloves, garlic, onion, jalapeño, red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme…whatever I feel like. I usually will throw in some citrus elements and notes as well. Orange, lemon or lime for balance.

Experiment with a broiler size chicken or Cornish hens first. Then I’d recommend a turkey breast, wings and/or drumsticks before doing a whole turkey.

Bon Appetit

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »
CIAA Fan -

I typically brine, or soak lean meats in a salt based water solution, to provide a bit of moisture and flavor to the chicken or Turkey. I put the herbs and citrus components in with the bird and water. I let it go for 24-48 hours depending on size. The bird is thoroughly rinsed and cleaned before preparing after brining. It gives the bird some additional moisture before preparing. Since brining, we’ve never had an overly dry turkey - from the smoker nor oven.

There are tons of recipes with all types of brining options. I keep mine simple with cloves, garlic, onion, jalapeño, red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme…whatever I feel like. I usually will throw in some citrus elements and notes as well. Orange, lemon or lime for balance.

Experiment with a broiler size chicken or Cornish hens first. Then I’d recommend a turkey breast, wings and/or drumsticks before doing a whole turkey.

Bon Appetit

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving

I BOUGHT A QUART SIZE JAR OF DRIED BRINING SPICES LAST WEEK.  ONCE I GOT HOME AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THEY SEEMED A BIT CONFUSING.  I "GOOGLED" IT BUT THERE WERE SO MANY OPTIONS I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT APPEARED TO BE THE BEST (READ EASIEST) ONE TO TRY FIRST.  I THINK I WILL TRY IT ON A CORNISH HEN, FIRST AS YOU SUGGEST.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »
I only eat turkey fried. I will eat a good smoked one, but not oven cooked.

care to explain issue on oven cooked?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 01:20:17 PM »
Since it's primarily just me, I don't cook a whole turkey anymore.  I usually just fry some turkey wings.  I had a bad experience dropping a turkey in a fryer years ago so I don't fry whole turkeys now.  I have been tempted to buy a greaseless turkey fryer but as I said it's primarily just me since my oldest son and his wife don't eat turkey and my youngest and his wife moved out of state.  I can cook a mean oven-baked turkey though.  I put a couple of apples in it and slow cook it.  Every piece of the turkey is moist and the meat almost falls off the bone,
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 02:17:21 PM »

LET ME MAKE THIS AS PLAIN, DIRECT AND AS SIMPLE AS I KNOW HOW.  I DO NOT LIKE YOU OR RESPECT YOU.   I DO NOT CARE TO ENGAGE IN ANY TYPE OF DISCOURSE AND EXCHANGES WITH YOU.  SO AS NOT TO BE ANY MORE UNPLEASANT THAN I HAVE TO, I SIMPLY WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY OF YOUR POSTS AND I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST YOU DO THE SAME FOR ME.

Knee grow please.  Coming from someone that's less than a man like you it's comical.  You won't engage because aren't man enough.  You will never be man enough.  Go in your little corner and die your thousand deaths.  You are one spineless XY chromosome.  Patton had a lot to say that was the truth about people like you. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »
Que82,

What Temp and time on that slow oven cooked?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »

Knee grow please.  Coming from someone that's less than a man like you it's comical.  You won't engage because aren't man enough.  You will never be man enough.  Go in your little corner and die your thousand deaths.  You are one spineless XY chromosome.  Patton had a lot to say that was the truth about people like you. 

??? 

y04185, sounds like

― Isaac Asimov

Offline Optimusprime

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 06:11:57 PM »
Before my mom's Church separated themselves one from another, they would host a community feeding on Thanksgiving.  For about 28 years, I cooked three turkeys - one brined and smoked, one oven roasted and recently, one fried.  The brined turkey was almost always cut up an and served from a pan.  The oven roasted was carved into pieces for the head table and the fried one was also cut up and served from a pan.

For my house, I would brine and smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving and grill turkey parts (drumsticks and wings) during Christmas.  There basically is nothing left from the community dinner and we gather to give thanks.

I prefer dark meat mostly, and from a brined turkey, its moist and flavorful.  I have nothing against a fried bird - other family members bring in fried turkey and I take some of it home after all is done.

This year, my brother's in-laws will be at his house in Oxford County, NC and they will have a spread-in-a-half

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule