News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Panel on Student Protest at Howard U. TODAY at 6pm EDT  (Read 487 times)

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Panel on Student Protest at Howard U. TODAY at 6pm EDT
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »
Bison66, help me understand the apartments behind Benjamin Banneker High School that was built a year ago. I'm conflicting information from some Howard alums about who owns this. I was told that the apartments was used as an additional student housing and then I was told that Howard had nothing to do with the apartments. I guess my question is why didn't Howard build dorms right there because it's your property? I thought you all would have done what U of M did with those apartments up Baltimore Avenue where those are all for students. Baltimore Avenue is just a chaotic mess of student apartments.

that's all...   :shrug:

Online Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 06:13:22 PM »
I saw pictures of the mold in one of them dorms at Howard. Wow

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 11:02:51 AM »
B66^^^my dear sir, I have still not been able to catch any video of the townhall, but thank you for helping the rest of us understand what's happening on Georgia Avenue.  The students protesting, etc, has now become a national story.

Would also like to extend HUGE props to you on that response to Neymar set forth at page 1 of this thread.  Boss, that was an EPIC takedown, but done with dignity and class so as not to humiliate the young bruh.

I bow down to you, sir.  :bow:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 12:36:06 PM »
Howard University   
Office of the President

October 26, 2021

Dear Howard University Community,

The conclusion of a safe and enjoyable Homecoming season, one that brought together the many different branches of our Howard University community, offers a reminder of what this institution has historically represented and the purpose driving our continued existence.

When Congress signed the charter establishing Howard University in March 1867, it was designed to be a place where the transformative power of education would be shared with a newly emancipated people and all others seeking to improve their lot in life. Our motto of "Truth and Service" has inspired generations of Bison to work toward those ideals in every sphere of life. Generations of Bison have stood on the firm ground of truth and fact to call out societal injustices and address inequities too long obscured or denied by those who rejected our very humanity.

Protest has been a perennial part of our institutional culture. Past and present Bison, motivated by concern for others, have used their platforms as student leaders, to call for change from institutional leadership. Those past movements have taken many forms and were rarely quiet or tranquil affairs, yet they did maintain a fidelity to recognizing objective facts and verifiable truths.  

There may be areas where we agree to disagree. That’s the nature of a vibrant community. However, Howard University’s proud tradition of student protest has never been – and can never be – invoked as a justification for tactics that harm our students. The current occupation of the Armour J. Blackburn Center is a departure from past norms. There is a distinct difference between peaceful protest and freedom of expression and the occupation of a University building that impedes operations and access to essential services and creates health and safety risks.

The provost and University’s general counsel met with leaders of the student protest and their legal counsel and engaged in a discussion regarding the path forward. As conveyed at that meeting, the University is willing to continue engaging in substantive conversations with student protesters and leaders regarding their expressed concerns.

The occupation of the Blackburn center must end.

The truth remains that all of our students deserve a best-in-class dormitory experience at Howard, and we will continue to do our best to ensure that they receive it. While there have only been a small number of documented facilities reports relative to our entire inventory of residence rooms, we are actively inquiring about unreported issues that may be in the residence halls by going door to door to interview and assist each resident. The results of our inquiries to date affirm that the issues are not widespread and the vast majority of our students are living comfortably in their rooms. We have invited a building inspector, elected officials, student leaders, board members, deans, alumni, and media to visit our residence halls and affirm the conditions. We are working with our housing partners to ensure that all maintenance tickets are responded to in an expeditious fashion.

Our administration has not lost focus of our goal to marry the Howard real estate footprint with the Howard brand, and we have already published a campus master plan that speaks to our strategy to do so and the timeline for the same. We are moving towards this goal. Our Howard Forward strategic plan has resulted in more than $2 billion in completed and future renovation capital projects. We are continuously improving our technological infrastructure to support teaching and learning. We remain strongly dedicated to the mission of providing tuition support and world-class training experiences through the cultivation of supportive philanthropic partners. 

This is exciting progress and can only be achieved through coming together as one Howard. One Bison. That oneness doesn’t exist without its share of complexity. Regardless of those tensions, respect for one another must always be paramount. We, all, have our part to play in the journey to excellence.

Now is the time for us to work together to reinforce our beloved Howard University. I have committed to expanded regular meetings with student leaders and my team remains in a heightened state of alert to deliver rapid and responsive care to the living and learning conditions of our students. We look forward to working collaboratively to address concerns and build a culture where all are heard.

The task facing this and future generations requires us to move forward.

Excellence in Truth and Service,

Wayne A. I. Frederick, M.D. MBA
Charles R. Drew Professor of Surgery
President

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 12:47:15 PM »
Howard University   
Office of the President

October 26, 2021

Dear Howard University Community,

The conclusion of a safe and enjoyable Homecoming season, one that brought together the many different branches of our Howard University community, offers a reminder of what this institution has historically represented and the purpose driving our continued existence.

When Congress signed the charter establishing Howard University in March 1867, it was designed to be a place where the transformative power of education would be shared with a newly emancipated people and all others seeking to improve their lot in life. Our motto of "Truth and Service" has inspired generations of Bison to work toward those ideals in every sphere of life. Generations of Bison have stood on the firm ground of truth and fact to call out societal injustices and address inequities too long obscured or denied by those who rejected our very humanity.

Protest has been a perennial part of our institutional culture. Past and present Bison, motivated by concern for others, have used their platforms as student leaders, to call for change from institutional leadership. Those past movements have taken many forms and were rarely quiet or tranquil affairs, yet they did maintain a fidelity to recognizing objective facts and verifiable truths.  

There may be areas where we agree to disagree. That’s the nature of a vibrant community. However, Howard University’s proud tradition of student protest has never been – and can never be – invoked as a justification for tactics that harm our students. The current occupation of the Armour J. Blackburn Center is a departure from past norms. There is a distinct difference between peaceful protest and freedom of expression and the occupation of a University building that impedes operations and access to essential services and creates health and safety risks.

The provost and University’s general counsel met with leaders of the student protest and their legal counsel and engaged in a discussion regarding the path forward. As conveyed at that meeting, the University is willing to continue engaging in substantive conversations with student protesters and leaders regarding their expressed concerns.

The occupation of the Blackburn center must end.

The truth remains that all of our students deserve a best-in-class dormitory experience at Howard, and we will continue to do our best to ensure that they receive it. While there have only been a small number of documented facilities reports relative to our entire inventory of residence rooms, we are actively inquiring about unreported issues that may be in the residence halls by going door to door to interview and assist each resident. The results of our inquiries to date affirm that the issues are not widespread and the vast majority of our students are living comfortably in their rooms. We have invited a building inspector, elected officials, student leaders, board members, deans, alumni, and media to visit our residence halls and affirm the conditions. We are working with our housing partners to ensure that all maintenance tickets are responded to in an expeditious fashion.

Our administration has not lost focus of our goal to marry the Howard real estate footprint with the Howard brand, and we have already published a campus master plan that speaks to our strategy to do so and the timeline for the same. We are moving towards this goal. Our Howard Forward strategic plan has resulted in more than $2 billion in completed and future renovation capital projects. We are continuously improving our technological infrastructure to support teaching and learning. We remain strongly dedicated to the mission of providing tuition support and world-class training experiences through the cultivation of supportive philanthropic partners. 

This is exciting progress and can only be achieved through coming together as one Howard. One Bison. That oneness doesn’t exist without its share of complexity. Regardless of those tensions, respect for one another must always be paramount. We, all, have our part to play in the journey to excellence.

Now is the time for us to work together to reinforce our beloved Howard University. I have committed to expanded regular meetings with student leaders and my team remains in a heightened state of alert to deliver rapid and responsive care to the living and learning conditions of our students. We look forward to working collaboratively to address concerns and build a culture where all are heard.

The task facing this and future generations requires us to move forward.

Excellence in Truth and Service,

Wayne A. I. Frederick, M.D. MBA
Charles R. Drew Professor of Surgery
President

SOO...basically, he's doing nothing and wait for the heat to die down like a few years ago??  :shrug:  :lol: The student occupied Blackburn a few years ago and they still didn't do anything.

that's all...

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »
Bison66, help me understand the apartments behind Benjamin Banneker High School that was built a year ago. I'm conflicting information from some Howard alums about who owns this. I was told that the apartments was used as an additional student housing and then I was told that Howard had nothing to do with the apartments. I guess my question is why didn't Howard build dorms right there because it's your property? I thought you all would have done what U of M did with those apartments up Baltimore Avenue where those are all for students. Baltimore Avenue is just a chaotic mess of student apartments.

that's all...   :shrug:

Sorry, yogi, I am not conversant with the details of that project.

I do know that Howard has taken advantage of renewed demand for "inner city" housing to make deals with developers that will create diversified income streams to the university without having responsibility for management or maintenance.

That project may be in that category.

Campus map from 2018 does not include that location:

https://www2.howard.edu/campus-response-weather-emergency/campus-map

O0

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 08:00:43 PM »
The Howard University Campus Master Plan focuses on the long-term transformation of the central campus experience for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and surrounding communities.

https://realestate.howard.edu/campus-master-planning-cmp

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
Thanks, Bison66 and B.
It seems that they are going the direction as U of M where developers built all of those apartments up Baltimore Avenue but the University is maintaining them. I think the biggest issue is going to be affordability since you're in the city.

that's all...

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 08:29:45 AM »
Sorry, for the delay.

As you probably know, the student protest - #BlackburnTakeover - has continued and many Alums have spent time and energy supporting it in various ways.

The effort to completely annotate the tape has had to take a backseat in terms of priorities, but the first of the timestamps are in the description.

Here is the link I mentioned in my second set of comments (starting around 1:24:01):

HAU UPDATE WITH CHARTS AND LINK Of VIDEO OF SEPT 23RD MEETING
https://mailchi.mp/7d8731073257/hu-alum-dont-be-disenfranchised-5106333?e=8a1c737e64

Thanks for your interest, y'all!

Damani
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:35:54 AM by Bison66 »

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
A second point...

This, from the Howard President's letter posted (Thank you!) by Bison4Life,...

UNQUOTE

...IS AT BEST MISLEADING.

At worst is it blatant GASLIGHTING.

I KNOW straight from the mouths of student protest leaders and their Attorney that the baiscs of those "substantive conversations" has been the University represetatives statements that:

- there would be NO ngotiations and NO discussions of student concerns until the students leave Blackburn Center

- prior to that, the University told protestors to get legal counsel.  They hesitated to do so, but when they did and met with HU's general counsel, they were told the University would not negotiate.

So the President's reference to being "engaged in a discussion regarding the path forward" was ENTIRELY: we're not talking to you until you leave the building.  PERIOD.

Brothers and Sisters,

Y'all know as students and Alumni of HBCUs, we never want to "air our dirty laundry" in public. I have felt that way for decades.

Some Howard Alums still feel that way strongly, in the current circumstance.  However, our Board's blatant disrespect to EACH of the key constituents - students, faculty and Alumni - has shown many of us that no private communication will suffice.

Trust me, that (quiet, private) effort was made in 2015 and again this past summer in regards to the issue of Affiliate (Student, Faculty & Alumni) Trustees with perfunctory response and misleading statements of rationale.

Further, I am a founding member of the newly-formed HOWARD ALUMNI UNITED.  We are designed to fill the gap left by the HU Alumni Association which is funded and "controlled" by the University.  HAU is an independent group and voice that can represent Alums to the University while the HUAA can continue to represent the University to Alumni as an operation of the Alumni Relations office.

Case in point, the HU Alumni Association has YET to say a single word about the fact that the Board ABOLISHED THREE Alumni Trustee positions this past summer. It is now November, and they are unable to address this critical issue.  Nor did they say a single word in 2015 when the precursor of the current action was done by the Board.

I want to thank Alums of FAMU and BCU for offering contact information for their independent Alumni groups so that we can benefit from their experiences as we at HOWARD ALUMNI UNITED move forward.

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »
I am glad and relieved that the administration FINALLY sat down with student protesters to negotiate an end to a needlessly long protest.

The terms of Monday's agreement are confidential (as they were in 2018), but the protest leaders say they are pleased that they got what they wanted.

BEGINS AT THE 3 MINUTE MARK.

O0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:51:22 PM by Bison66 »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule