News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Voting Rights fight  (Read 187 times)

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Voting Rights fight
« on: November 09, 2021, 01:40:48 AM »
I will not go on a hunger strike but am with Joe Madison 100%.  The leaders of the Democratic Party, administration included of course, need to get active now.  They should have done so in the spring.  They cannot win without people of color.

Here is an earlier thread.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:45:18 AM by EB »

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Voting Rights fight
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 02:03:02 AM »
Thom Hartmann talked about the Tilden-Hayes Compromise at the beginning of his program on Monday, November 8.  It was said (History Channel) that President Rutherford B. Hayes felt could wok with the south.  Well, there was not much progress on civil rights.  Biden feel he can work with republicans, but I wonder for how long.  Time will run out soon.  History can have a strange way of repeating itself.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 02:17:56 AM »
I cannoy say enough about Greg Palast.  It would be an understatement to say he gets it.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 07:14:45 AM »
Great info EB.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 08:20:11 AM »
Each of these have audio.

----------

Biden refuses to use political capital to bust the filibuster and save voting rights/b]

by Greg Palast for By Any Means Necessary   November 5, 2021

In this edition of By Any Means Necessary, hosts Sean Blackmon and Jacquie Luqman are joined by Greg Palast to discuss the blocking of the John Lewis Voting Rights Act by Senate Republicans, which would have restored key provisions of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the history of the filibuster as a tool of racist disenfranchisement, Biden’s refusal to use political capital to bust it, and how Democrats’ inaction on issues such as voting rights contributed to their recent electoral defeats.

----------

Background Briefing: Freedom to Vote Act
It has improvements, it has detriments, and there's an awful lot that's missing. An awful lot.

by Ian Masters for Background Briefing     September 16, 2021

The Freedom to Vote Act has been put together by a group of Democratic Senators and Joe Manchin, who is now trying to sell it to his Republican colleagues before a vote, which is supposed to take place as early as next week according to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

In this edition of the Background Briefing, we discuss what is in the bill as well as what is not. Given that it is highly unlikely that Manchin will win over 10 Republican senators, or even one, we assess what the Plan B might be for the Democrats who will surely lose the 2022 and 2024 elections due to the massive and brazen nationwide Republican voter suppression campaign underway. That is, unless the Democrats get something passed, even if it does not make the electoral playing field completely level.

Joining us for a deep dive into the bill is Greg Palast, a journalist who has been investigating voter suppression for decades and is the author of the New York Times and international bestsellers, The Best Democracy Money Can Buy and Armed Madhouse. The recipient of the George Orwell Courage in Journalism Prize for his BBC television documentary, Bush Family Fortunes, his latest book is How Trump Stole 2020.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »
Great info EB.

Thanks.  I saw the interviews with Madison and Palast on Thom Hartmann's program yesterday.  I happened to come acros the Roland Martin interview.  Madison is not the only one to feel that way.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
These are Robert Reich's columns.  The second one is on Roe v. Wade, but one could substitute Shelby v. Holder on the Voting Rights Act.

----------

A note to Joe Manchin
Joe, you know what you must do on voting rights. But will you?
Nov 4

Okay, Joe. Enough evidence for you? The two major voting rights bills that you support — the Freedom to Vote Act, and the John Lewis Voting Rights Act — have now been blocked in the Senate by Republican filibusters.

Of course you know that federal voting rights legislation is necessary to counteract the wave of new voting restrictions from Republican-controlled state legislatures across the country, all premised on Trump’s lie that the 2020 election was stolen.

Yesterday, Senate Republicans blocked the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, which you support. The original 1965 Voting Rights Act was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2013, on the dubious logic that it was no longer needed because states with a history of suppressing Black votes no longer did so. (Within 24 hours of the ruling, Texas announced it would implement a strict photo ID law, and Mississippi and Alabama soon followed.)

-----

Personal History: When I was at law school with Clarence Thomas
And now he's getting ready to overturn Roe v. Wade
Sep 24

Just one year after Ruth Bader Ginsburg died, Republican nominees on the Supreme Court are on the way to overturning Roe v. Wade. But they’re going out of their way to speak out publicly against the partisanship they’re actively engaged in.

One of the principles guiding those discussions is called stare decisis — Latin for “to stand by things decided.” It’s the doctrine of judicial precedent. If a court has already ruled on an issue (say, on reproductive rights), future courts should decide similar cases the same way. Supreme Courts can change their minds and rule differently than they did before, but they need good reasons to do so, and it helps if their opinion is unanimous or nearly so. Otherwise, their rulings appear (and are) arbitrary — even, shall we say? — partisan.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 05:07:47 PM »
These are old ones on why in my opinion the Georgia General Assembly changed the voting laws.

----------

www.wabe.org/georgia-gop-fears-changing-demographics-could-end-partys-long-dominance/

-----

Georgia Organizers Won Because They Didn’t Treat Elections as a Be-All, End-All

By
    Anoa Changa,
    Truthout

Published
    January 13, 2021

-----

Grassroots Organizers Flipped Georgia Blue. Here’s How They Did It.

By
    Anoa Changa,
    Truthout
Published
    November 12, 2020

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 01:24:44 PM »
Thanks so much, EB!

Great info!!!!

O0

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 06:43:38 AM »
Here is another that is similar to other columns/articles posted here.

Here is an article issuing warnings about the future elections.

----------

The Democrats' Roadmap To Electoral Victory Was Drawn In Georgia
Steven Rosenfeld
November 18 | 2021

https://independentmediainstitute.org/voting-booth/

Corey Shackleford knew he could rely on Georgia's Prince Hall Masons—named after the freed slave who created the civic-minded group's first Black chapter in 1784. "We're in those corners of the state, those rural areas, where others don't normally go. But we are there."

Shirley Sherrod, whose Southwest Georgia Project for Community Education has been active since the 1960s, trusted the young women on her staff to reach rural voters—even during a pandemic. "I really allowed them to take this program and just go, and it worked."

And Keith Reddings, who leads Georgia's Omega Psi Phi Fraternity and lives in Brunswick—where three white men killed Ahmaud Arbery, a Black jogger, in February 2020—knew neither he nor his members could be idle in the 2020 election. "I've been in movements for quite a while. You get these waves where you're involved; you can be involved."

Their comments are from an oral history of the grassroots organizing across Georgia that led to the state's historic voter turnout and election of Democratic candidates for president and the U.S. Senate. The e-book, The Georgia Way: How to Win Elections, recounts the mindsets, values, tactics, challenges and solutions that coalesced in 2020 in a 21st-century voting rights triumph.

"I started to understand what we needed to do going forward," said Richard Rose, the Atlanta NAACP president, who noted that 77 percent of Georgia's Black voters lived in 19 of the state's 159 counties. "What I did know was that people were willing to help. Young people were willing to give up their time. Members of various fraternities, sororities and the Masons were willing to help. But it was fragmented."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:03:48 AM by EB »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule