News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: What's so special about Salem, VA?  (Read 463 times)

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
What's so special about Salem, VA?
« on: October 20, 2021, 06:50:31 AM »
CIAA football championship staying in Salem, VA for the long haul

By Dellan Sellers
Posted on December 8, 2018

The CIAA will keep its football championship game in Salem, VA for the next six years. City of Salem and Virginia’s Blue Ridge will continue to host the Football Championship from 2019 until 2024 the conference announced following recent meetings.

Attendance
2018 Championship: Bowie State and Fayetteville State: 2,604
2017 Virginia State and Fayetteville: 5,000
2016 Winston-Salem State and Bowie State: 3,419

https://hbcugameday.com/2018/12/08/ciaa-football-championship-staying-in-salem-va-for-the-long-haul/

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: What's so special about Salem, VA?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
I know they moved there when NC was losing events to that HB2 stuff

It seems like a midpoint

Offline 804ram07

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
Neutral, somewhat equidistant site (2-4 hr drive for all except Lincoln, ECSU) and Roanoke's mayor being a VUU/CIAA alum play a big factor.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:32:18 AM by 804ram07 »

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 01:17:18 PM »
The game was drawing 10,000 in Durham.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
I don't like it. At all. :no:

Local law enforcement sets traps all over that place after the game. They wait for post game tailgaters to leave and then try to add more loot to the City of Salem's coffers.

I wonder if they do that BS after the D3 championship games they hold there?

Durham, Raleigh, Richmond, suburban Maryland, Charlotte...All would be better venues. At least all the places I mentioned have a decent amount of culture. Salem ain't nothing but East Podunk for black folks. I do NOT like the vibe around that blicky AT ALL. :no:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2021, 2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2021, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »
I don't like it. At all. :no:

Local law enforcement sets traps all over that place after the game. They wait for post game tailgaters to leave and then try to add more loot to the City of Salem's coffers.

I wonder if they do that BS after the D3 championship games they hold there?

Durham, Raleigh, Richmond, suburban Maryland, Charlotte...All would be better venues. At least all the places I mentioned have a decent amount of culture. Salem ain't nothing but East Podunk for black folks. I do NOT like the vibe around that blicky AT ALL. :no:

Stop lying.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 03:02:18 PM »
The game was drawing 10,000 in Durham.

It did 10k in 2011 because the WSSU fans showed up in force for it being our first time back. The game attendance was continuing to drop in Durham.  The last year it was in Durham attendance was 4,577 for WSSU v. Bowie.

Granted numbers are going to be better in Durham over Salem, but it was time for it to move.  And now it is time for the game to move again.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
Okay..RIF...

This article is dated 2018, and I TOTALLY missed that.

So it is under contract through 2024. So that's my bad!!

Thank you Lord!!!

Hopefully we will burn rubber on that place come 2024.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY

Offline Spartanette

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
All I'm going to say it is TRUMPLAND!!!

I'm from Martinsville and I know for a fact that Salem is a racist city and Roanoke too.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 06:10:45 PM »
The only redeeming quality is the stadium. It has a nice field and a nice look. Everything else around it is DUSTY.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:59:16 AM »
There in nothing good about playing in Salem, VA. The residence of that city are Trump diehards and Rebel Flag caring clear people. Durham was by far a better venue. We should be supporting cities that care about the black community as a whole. Durham has NCCU and there fans attended the games there in big numbers. And lets be honest, WSSU being sorry as hell right now is hurting the attendance of that game. The numbers was low the last time WSSU played in that game in Durham was because we were a .500 team and Bowing fans just don't show up.
We need to stop acting like we're need them to authenticate us.  :shrug:

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 10:07:21 AM »
There in nothing good about playing in Salem, VA. The residence of that city are Trump diehards and Rebel Flag caring clear people. Durham was by far a better venue. We should be supporting cities that care about the black community as a whole. Durham has NCCU and there fans attended the games there in big numbers. And lets be honest, WSSU being sorry as hell right now is hurting the attendance of that game. The numbers was low the last time WSSU played in that game in Durham was because we were a .500 team and Bowing fans just don't show up.
:nod:

BTW...

Who da hail is Bowling brah??? :lmao: Man as the days go on, I see so many brothas that need to take typing classes! (along with myself, I'm a data entry class dropout :lol:) The ladies don't seem to have the problems we have.. :tiptoe:

But for real for real. I wish WSSU could make it every year so it could sellout....No, I am kidding again.. :lmao:

I think someone somewhere in the CIAA hierarchy got a sweet deal some kind of way, and we got forced to go play in this garbage arse location. Too bad the state of North Carolina couldn't clear up the bathroom issue, or we wouldn't be playing it all out of the way of every school in the conference.

I hope when this contract runs out, it gets moved somewhere in civilization. Do we flood the conference with letters? Or has that already been done?
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »

FAAAAAAAAACTS :nod:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 10:58:29 AM »

BTW...

Who da hail is Bowling brah??? :lmao: Man as the days go on, I see so many brothas that need to take typing classes! (along with myself, I'm a data entry class dropout :lol:) The ladies don't seem to have the problems we have.. :tiptoe:

But for real for real. I wish WSSU could make it every year so it could sellout....No, I am kidding again.. :lmao:

I think someone somewhere in the CIAA hierarchy got a sweet deal some kind of way, and we got forced to go play in this garbage arse location. Too bad the state of North Carolina couldn't clear up the bathroom issue, or we wouldn't be playing it all out of the way of every school in the conference.

I hope when this contract runs out, it gets moved somewhere in civilization. Do we flood the conference with letters? Or has that already been done?

The CIAA need to rent some of those Jackson State fans. The CIAA and MEAC fan support sucks regardless  who is playing. For the CIAA, WSSU has traditionally traveled well for CI school. But the high school / JV team we currently have won't draw but a few thousand to any venue.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »

BTW...

The CIAA need to rent some of those Jackson State fans. The CIAA and MEAC fan support sucks regardless  who is playing. For the CIAA, WSSU has traditionally traveled well for CI school. But the high school / JV team we currently have won't draw but a few thousand to any venue.

Real talk, deep South fans are just more overall more passionate about football.

I know here in the DMV, it's just so much to get into, and our alumni will show up quicker for championship basketball quicker than championship football. And that is with our football program still on a roll.

We just don't have the same overall passion with our sports. Most of the DMV is just comprised of too cool type folks who will once in a while come check the BSU games out, but it's just not on the level of deep South folks.

I will say that we (BSU alumni) are improving, I am thinking we were down bad for so long in the 80's and 90's (save for an occasionally really good football or women's basketball season or two), that other than us die-hards, the rest still seem to think of us as also-rans, when actually in the last decade and a half, we have been kickin' some arse in the CIAA...

It is what it is. :shrug:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule