News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Norfolk State coach unhappy about homecoming attendance  (Read 1620 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Norfolk State coach unhappy about homecoming attendance
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »
“I’ve been other places where a rat can’t find a seat on a corn chip. With football being gone for a couple of years, there’s an expectation that I think I have in my mind of what it’s supposed to look like.”
https://hbcugameday.com/2021/10/18/norfolk-state-coach-unhappy-about-homecoming-attendance/

:popcorn:
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

Offline Blue N Gold

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk State coach unhappy about homecoming attendance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
Coach made some valid points but he has to realize that these are not normal circumstances that we're operating under at present. :shrug:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Chillin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »
Coach made some valid points but he has to realize that these are not normal circumstances that we're operating under at present. :shrug:

Exactly. I know JSU packed em in for their homecoming but covid is still here and very real.  I wouldn't be too concerned about attendance THIS YEAR.  Just be glad some butts are in the seats versus none cause many are opting to not attend at all.

GOOD LUCK, BOWIE!!!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »
IMO, it's a MEAC problem as a whole. Going from the SWAC to the MEAC is a step down in attendance.  The SWAC has held the top attendance record in FCS.  The SWAC attendance is better than some lower tier FBS conferences.  And now that the MEAC has lost two of its top schools (NCA&T and FAMU) in attendance, it doesn't get better for the conference as a whole.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:01:06 AM »
It seems to me he hasn't done his research on HBCUs in the northeast when it comes to football game attendance. This isn't southern football.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

Offline VSUTrojanFan

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
while Covid does play a role in game attendance, Coach has some valid points. There has always been more people outside tailgating and walking around on campus than at the game.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 11:06:53 AM »
while Covid does play a role in game attendance, Coach has some valid points. There has always been more people outside tailgating and walking around on campus than at the game.

But, this isn't new. We've discussed that issue at our schools a decade ago and many of our schools decided to slap a tailgate and game day ticket in the packages now. The University still get their money.

that's all...

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 11:19:18 AM »
It seems to me he hasn't done his research on HBCUs in the northeast when it comes to football game attendance. This isn't southern football.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

You hit the nail on the head. There is know comparison with the MEAC to SWAC, or the SIAC to the CIAA when it comes to both bands and attendance. The SWAC and SIAC are light years ahead of the MEAC and CIAA. LIGHT YEARS! Its almost like comparing the SEC to the ACC.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »
“I’ve been other places where a rat can’t find a seat on a corn chip. With football being gone for a couple of years, there’s an expectation that I think I have in my mind of what it’s supposed to look like.”
https://hbcugameday.com/2021/10/18/norfolk-state-coach-unhappy-about-homecoming-attendance/

:popcorn:

IT HAS AND WILL ALWAYS CONTINUE TO BE THAT WAY.  FOOTBALL IS FIRST AND FOREMOST ENTERTAINMENT.  THERE ARE SIMPLY SO MANY MORE THINGS COMPETING FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE PUBLIC IN MEAC AND CIAA AREAS AS OPOSED TO THE SWAC AND SIAC.  I HAVE BEEN TO GAMES IN THE SWAC AND SIAC WHERE TOWNS LITERALLY CLOSE DOWN FOR THEIR FOOTBALL.  ...AND DON'T EVEN LET ME BEGIN WITH HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IN THE MEAC/CIAA vs. THE SWAC/SIAC. 

IT SIMPLY IS WHAT IT IS.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »
Disappointed in the coach's attendance comments.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 01:13:54 PM »
Norfolk State has great fans.

Who is going to rush to see Virginia University Lynchburg? In a pandemic?

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Chillin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »

GOOD LUCK, BOWIE!!!

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 01:45:09 PM »

The coach is right ! This has nothing to do with VUL. This is a homecoming game...and the people were there, they were just outside the stadium. If the pandemic was an issue they wouldn't have shown up at all.

I don't go to an A&T game...let alone homecoming game because of who we are playing...I don't go to games because of the other team. I go to support my team.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Chillin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 01:54:31 PM »
Actully, its been like that at Morehouse homecoming these past few years too.  Before the stadium would be packed with folks still tailgating. Now the tailgate has become the attraction and there are plenty of seats inside the stadium.

I think this is the difference between new generation alums and old school alums.

Whoever suggested making tailgaters also purchase game tickets  :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

GOOD LUCK, BOWIE!!!

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Folks in the HBCU Alumni United Facebook group tried to use the Covid argument regarding JSU's Homecoming crowd but another group of posters mentioned that it has been proven Super Spreaders usually happen in indoor events as opposed to outdoor events. :shrug:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule