News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Homecoming week for the Jags  (Read 1223 times)

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Homecoming week for the Jags
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »
IMO, Southern has always had one of the best homecomings and the on-campus  tailgating is second to none.  With the campus being isolated up against the Mississippi River makes it that much better. With all the changes going on on-campus, I'm sure more alumni will appreciate SU's homecoming.
Mark Gray and Stump son would agree with you.

Since we are playing Priarie View, which should be a critical game for the SWAC West title, are they planning to install temporary bleachers behind the South Endzone??? I'm sure this game has the potentials of being well over 30k.  I would love to see SU move forward with expansion plans of Mumford Stadium's pressbox/luxury suites and an upper deck with box suites on the East Side of the stadium, which should raise the capacity of Mumford from 29k to 40k or above. And if SU decides to close in the South Endzone that should take Mumford Stadium to 45k to 50k. An upper deck over the West Side and the pressbox/luxury suites would put it well over 50k.  I remember when capacity would reach close to 34k before the last expansion of Mumford Stadium (fieldhouse/additional seats behind the North Endzone), especially against FAMU and JSU.
I'm hoping the next coach would be able to inspire that to happen. But if I'm being honest, I'm not too confident that the current AD is the person to lead that charge.

Stadium expansion projects should be done in phases, starting with the expansion of the pressbox/luxury suites and then the East Side deck and box suites. $10 million to $20 million per project shouldn't be unreasonable.
Hmm...

IMO, the least expensive route would be the addition of seats behind the South Endzone.  They might consider that first before adding a top deck and box suites on the East Side.
Yeah I had my own personal dream about what that should look like.

One thing for sure, one could easily see that the pressbox/luxury suites was constructed in such a way that it could be easily expanded on both sides.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »
IMO, Southern has always had one of the best homecomings and the on-campus  tailgating is second to none.  With the campus being isolated up against the Mississippi River makes it that much better. With all the changes going on on-campus, I'm sure more alumni will appreciate SU's homecoming.

Since we are playing Priarie View, which should be a critical game for the SWAC West title, are they planning to install temporary bleachers behind the South Endzone??? I'm sure this game has the potentials of being well over 30k.  I would love to see SU move forward with expansion plans of Mumford Stadium's pressbox/luxury suites and an upper deck with box suites on the East Side of the stadium, which should raise the capacity of Mumford from 29k to 40k or above. And if SU decides to close in the South Endzone that should take Mumford Stadium to 45k to 50k. An upper deck over the West Side and the pressbox/luxury suites would put it well over 50k.  I remember when capacity would reach close to 34k before the last expansion of Mumford Stadium (fieldhouse/additional seats behind the North Endzone), especially against FAMU and JSU.
I'm hoping the next coach would be able to inspire that to happen. But if I'm being honest, I'm not too confident that the current AD is the person to lead that charge.

Stadium expansion projects should be done in phases, starting with the expansion of the pressbox/luxury suites and then the East Side deck and box suites. $10 million to $20 million per project shouldn't be unreasonable.
Hmm...

IMO, the least expensive route would be the addition of seats behind the South Endzone.  They might consider that first before adding a top deck and box suites on the East Side.

One thing for sure, one could easily see that the pressbox/luxury suites was constructed in such a way that it could be easily expanded on both sides.
Yep! I just worry if that old structure can hold up.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 10:38:18 PM »

Hmm...

Yep! I just worry if that old structure can hold up.

The pressbox/luxury suites has it's own structural support separate from the stadium.  Most of the column support for the pressbox/luxury suites is outside of the stadium support. If a deck is built above the pressbox/luxury suites, its support would probably extend beyond the pressbox/luxury suites, with the deck seating partially cantilevered over the pressbox/luxury suites.  This is how newer stadiums are built and any additions made to older stadiums.

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 10:38:55 PM »
HC is definitely heading for a sellout.

Fans are expected to descend on A.W. Mumford Stadium in large numbers for the 6 p.m. kickoff. Home side seating is sold out, and there were long lines at the ticket windows Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/southern/article_f8498a18-312e-11ec-aaa3-c36d04dc8914.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR1-P5MZ78Z9Qr7c3NTzF5MegWqUxYduVUwegwtX77y-In0rD_7Jsxk3MTQ
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:58:37 PM by JAG89 »

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 11:38:56 PM »
HC is definitely heading for a sellout.

Fans are expected to descend on A.W. Mumford Stadium in large numbers for the 6 p.m. kickoff. Home side seating is sold out, and there were long lines at the ticket windows Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/southern/article_f8498a18-312e-11ec-aaa3-c36d04dc8914.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR1-P5MZ78Z9Qr7c3NTzF5MegWqUxYduVUwegwtX77y-In0rD_7Jsxk3MTQ
Yep! Earlier today there were just 2000 tickets left. So I'm sure they're all gone now

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 01:59:32 AM »
:D Gotta love our local television affiliates night shift.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2021, 08:07:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/kyrensmuva/status/1450784573541978115?s=21

Who dat? Bluedog or Jag89?

My cash is on Bluedog…..

:lmao:

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »

I'm sure Bluedog gets way more turnt up than me.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
https://twitter.com/kyrensmuva/status/1450784573541978115?s=21

Who dat? Bluedog or Jag89?

My cash is on Bluedog…..

Hell I wish I could move like that still without going into rehab. lmao Bio-freeze send help

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
Some people just can't help themselves when they hear the Jukebox playing.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »

Click watch on Facebook
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:28:06 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 05:16:48 PM »

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule