News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Why white students are 250% more likely to graduate than Black students at...  (Read 116 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
...public universities

...As a Black woman with a physical disability, Alexis Smith struggled to find community on campus. She uses a wheelchair, and said she’s been disappointed not to find any affinity groups for students like her. She said she tried to join a sorority on campus but was turned down.

“What is it about me?” Smith said she asks herself. “Is it because I’m Black and most of the girls in the sorority are either white or Hispanic? Or does it not have anything to do with race at all? Is it because I have a disability? I’ve never seen a woman a part of a sorority with a disability before. Do they feel like I look too different?...”

https://hechingerreport.org/%e2%80%8b%e2%80%8bwhy-white-students-are-250-more-likely-to-graduate-than-black-students-at-public-universities/
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
That sister needs to stop trying to get down with those dry-arse sororities who want nothing to do with her and get some soul about herself. Someone help this child...

That campus has active Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Sigma Gamma Rho chapters. Someone needs to school her. One of these 3 will be waaaaay more accepting of you than those other cornball organizations, and she will get waaaayyy more out of it for the rest of her life. I just don't get some of these people who a clamoring to get down with people who would rather spit on you than hug you. :no:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
That sister needs to stop trying to get down with those dry-arse sororities who want nothing to do with her and get some soul about herself. Someone help this child...

That campus has active Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Sigma Gamma Rho chapters. Someone needs to school her. One of these 3 will be waaaaay more accepting of you than those other cornball organizations, and she will get waaaayyy more out of it for the rest of her life. I just don't get some of these people who a clamoring to get down with people who would rather spit on you than hug you. :no:

+1

Offline stephen

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Agreed!

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
If colleges are willing to enroll a diverse mix of students, he said, they should be willing to invest in the necessary support services to help those students graduate

^If want diversity you have to invest. They haven't. I'm not going to get into the female who wants to belong to a Sorority that doesn't want her.  I'm just going to agree with Funk.
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule