News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: More OVC defection  (Read 1676 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: More OVC defection
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 10:59:01 PM »
It still isn't a bad thing for TSU to stay. This now frees up yet another game for them to play a HBCU out of conference.

Now TSU has 6 conference games and 5 OOC games.

Then they could play the other 2 HBCUs in a non-HBCU conference annually.  Jackson State is an annual rivalry, but if Coach Prime continues to win that might change.
They just want them to stay on Masa plantation with them.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 11:05:55 PM »
I think it has been said a million times that TSU is not mandated to be in the OVC.
They would probably be interested in the SWAC if the SWAC reached out to them.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 11:46:43 PM »
Should AP make the jump and the OVC not become extremely active if seeking membership TSU needs to get on the horn with SCSU and make a move together to expand the SWACs footprint. 

Highly doubt it will happen though.  :shrug:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 11:48:40 PM »
I think it has been said a million times that TSU is not mandated to be in the OVC.
They would probably be interested in the SWAC if the SWAC reached out to them.
Don't hold your breath if you value your life.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 02:09:05 AM »
It still isn't a bad thing for TSU to stay. This now frees up yet another game for them to play a HBCU out of conference.

Now TSU has 6 conference games and 5 OOC games.

Then they could play the other 2 HBCUs in a non-HBCU conference annually.  Jackson State is an annual rivalry, but if Coach Prime continues to win that might change.
They just want them to stay on Masa plantation with them.

Massa been good to them. It's like Christmas everyday in Tennessee.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 07:04:10 AM »
We know they would send the runaway slave catchers after TSU.
:lol: :o :lol:…….c’mon, bruh, this is f’ed up. You wrong for posting that.   :lol:

But, seriously, though…….the specter of Peay (pronounced “pee”) leaving the OVC does invoke that whole argument about why TSU remains. I could be wrong, but I don’t see any movement on that front in the foreseeable future.

Glenda Glover, the TSU prez, is a very competent, confident, lovely woman. Have had a couple of brief exchanges with her since her tenure began, and she really does exude strength and ability. But the state of Tennessee has shortchanged TSU over dispensing federal funds related to their land-grant status, to the tune of $500M over about a 50 years period. I know for a fact that Dr. Glover is tangling with the right-wing whiteboy cabal that runs this state, trying to wrestle those funds.

There’s more, a lot more, but I’ll leave it there.   ;D

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 08:13:14 AM »
So do you all think this A-Sun conference is finished poaching other schools for membership?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
So do you all think this A-Sun conference is finished poaching other schools for membership?

They have 6 now so they meet the requirement for a playoff bid. They might go after 1 more but it would be a Southern team. I don't know from what conference

Realignment is far from over. Other than the SWAC, no conference is safe

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »
OVC    ::)   nuff said.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »

They have 6 now so they meet the requirement for a playoff bid. They might go after 1 more but it would be a Southern team. I don't know from what conference

NCCU would do well in the A-Sun.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »

So we'd swap a 7 hour trip to Dover, for a 13 hour trip to Conway?  Heck, all of the SWAC East schools are closer than Conway.   :crazy:

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »

My bet is they try and get West Georgia or West Florida to move up.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »

you don't tire posting crap do you?
just a sorry person.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
Somebody needs to find out why the State of Tennessee is forcing some state supported FCS schools to stay in the OVC and not ALL state supported FCS schools to stay in the OVC. Inquiring minds need to know.
I post you query in their forum and it look  like we have finally got a complete and comprehensive answer.

Quote from: @admin" source="/post/21027/thread" timestamp="1631881688
I suggest the inquiring minds who want to know contact APSU and the State Legislature of TN to find out

The State does not provide financial support for college athletics and per a response to an inquiry from the Tennessee Board of Regents several years ago, they do not determine athletic conference affiliation. 

This  was pretty evident when APSU decided to go non-scholarship in football several years ago.  There was no requirement for APSU to obtain State approval to do so.  That decision also made them ineligible to play football in the OVC.  After a few years of playing non-scholarship football, a group of former APSU football players and others formed a group to return football at APSU to scholarship level.  They, along with APSU launched a campaign to raise the funds necessary to do just that.  The State was not involved in that effort at all.  They rallied enough support to achieve their goal and then APSU was able to return to playing football in the OVC.  That became the start of a new era in football support for APSU and while it took time, they eventually got their program to where it is today.  And, now they see an opportunity to shift away from the OVC, which is not on stable grounds as it relates to football.  There is no evidence that APSU is being driven by some legislative decision or even suggestion for them to leave the OVC.  It is a strategic business decision by the leadership at APSU.

The Board of Trustees at APSU will be voting on the universities proposal to leave the OVC for the ASUN.  Not the TBR nor the the TN State Legislature. 

Funny that no one said anything about NCA&T being told by the State of North Carolina to leave the MEAC to join the Big South.  Nobody mentioned anything about the State of Florida being involved in FAMU leaving the MEAC for the SWAC.  Was FAMU's debacle to move up to FBS caused by the State of Florida?  Was Alabama State's desire to move up to FBS squelched by the State of Alabama? Why is it that this only comes up when it is connected to TSU and the OVC?  Why would the State choose APSU to leave the OVC and not TSU, TTU or UTM?  The State had absolutely nothing to do with mTSU leaving the OVC to move up to FBS and since that time leaving the Sunbelt to join CUSA.  The State had nothing to do with UT Martin joining the OVC when it joined after TSU.

People who put this narrative out there, never have any factual statements to back up that assumption.  In my opinion it simply comes up because in the late 1980's TSU made the decision to join the OVC and not an HBCU conference.  And, since that didn't seem logical to some of our own supporters and people outside of the TSU family, the narrative started that it must have been the State of TN forcing TSU to join the OVC.  Funny thing is that narrative didn't really become a talking point till several years after TSU joined the OVC. 

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »

So we'd swap a 7 hour trip to Dover, for a 13 hour trip to Conway?  Heck, all of the SWAC East schools are closer than Conway.   :crazy:

Conway where?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule