News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: This Article Takes a While to Get to the Point - FALSE EQUIVALENCIES  (Read 46 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
The Republican Party's gothic contempt turns politics on its head

...Again, the Republicans do not have policy objectives requiring bipartisan support. They don't need, nor seem to want, to persuade a majority of Americans to come around to their side. They can therefore indulge in gothic politics so that up is down, left is right, wrong is right and the Democratic Party is always this close to Nazism....
https://www.alternet.org/2021/07/republican-gothic/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7458

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Re: This Article Takes a While to Get to the Point - FALSE EQUIVALENCIES
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 01:04:43 PM »
One example of FALSE EQUIVALENCY from the article:

...there is literally nothing coercive about using free speech to achieve political ends, even if it's being used to "rewrite the norms of acceptable speech." What social justice reformers are doing is the embodiment of the small-d democratic spirit by which Americans persuade Americans, or even pressure them socially, to change the way they talk and think for the sake of liberty and justice for all. This is good and right, yet the Monitor's Harry Bruinius, in a piece entitled "Why free speech is under attack from right and left," is making the use of free speech to achieve political ends look virtually same as the GOP passing coercive laws prohibiting free speech. The Republicans have convinced reporters the Democrats are as morally bad as they are.

I would point out that MANY "Conservative" criticisms using "what aboutism" are based upon this kind of FALSE EQUIVALENCE.

I still thank EPMD from MEACFans for emphasizing the importance of QUESTIONING THE PREMISES of others' arguments - as well as our own.

O0

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule