News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: A Houston Man Is Arrested For Alleged Illegal Voting  (Read 122 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A Houston Man Is Arrested For Alleged Illegal Voting
« on: July 11, 2021, 06:23:50 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Read more   

When Hervis Rogers went viral on social media for being the last person in line at Texas Southern University to cast a vote at 1 a.m. on Super Tuesday in March 2020, he was applauded as a tenacious, civic-minded man who worked hard to exercise his right to vote.

Now, Rogers is being prosecuted by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's office for allegedly voting illegally.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
Re: A Houston Man Is Arrested For Alleged Illegal Voting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 06:46:23 AM »
So the brother tried to vote and you are applauding his arrest. Which knew voting law passed by the GOP in Texas would have prevented this?

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 11:23:22 AM »
So this is the best Texas republicans have? Sad, sad, state of America. This poor man waited in line for 6 hours because he thought he was eligible to vote. I blame Texas for not having their voter rolls updated. If he was included on the list, I'm sure he thought he was eligible. Republican should be ashamed. They can't even find anyone who intentionally voted illegally. We all know what this is about, it's nothing but voter intimidation. Republicans are trying to send a message to poor black voters in hopes they stay away from the polls. And here we have y applauding this sorry situation. Y, I would be with you if they had someone who stole someone's identity and tried to voted multiples times, but this? I did not think you and your party could go much lower. Hell you are already dragging the ground shooting sparks. Are you really proud of this type behavior? I don't know about you but I refuse to allow politics to get in ahead of my morals. But apparently you don't care.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
Because Rogers voted before his parole was scheduled to end, he was likely ineligible to cast a ballot on Election Day, despite being registered to vote, said a spokesperson with the Harris County Attorney's Office last year.

Under a bill approved in 2007 by both the Texas House and Texas Senate, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice would have been required to notify people released from custody about their eligibility to vote. However, former Gov. Rick Perry vetoed that bill.

A similar bill filed this week by state Rep. John Bucy would require the state to give people convicted of felonies more information about their eligibility to vote.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/09/1014686526/a-houston-man-is-arrested-for-alleged-illegal-voting-as-texas-gop-seeks-tighter-?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2F5et10Gfa7w54drjewpu52DX9b0Q7FbYKdsQ53Qm_zcrWVf6w7mz0Cm8

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 12:03:20 PM »
smh

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
It seems like someone in the system should have told him he could register until XYZ date. He application should have been on hold until a month or two later.  It seems like a good lawyer can get him off as well as open up  sue the state.  The state misled him by not putting his application on hold. 
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »
Wasn’t a black woman accused of voter fraud for a similar situation in Texas? If so, one would think that if Texas Republicans were truly concerned about voter fraud, they would bring back the bill that Republican Rick Perry vetoed rather than the nonsense they are trying to pass now.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule