News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Negro national anthem  (Read 214 times)

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Negro national anthem
« on: July 04, 2021, 10:41:06 PM »
What is all the fuss about Vanessa Williams singing it on 4th of July

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Re: Negro national anthem
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 05:44:44 AM »

Sounds like another salvo fired in the culture war.

PBS, Vanessa Williams spark backlash over ‘black national anthem’

PBS has sparked tense backlash with its decision to have Vanessa Williams perform the “black national anthem” during its July 4 coverage — with critics blasting the move as divisive and un-American.

Williams’ performance on the station’s annual Capitol Fourth program Sunday evening is intended to celebrate the recognition of Juneteenth’s establishment as a federal holiday.

Lavern Spicer, a Republican candidate in Florida’s 24th district, who is black, said the song could divide the country on a day people should be standing together.

“Vanessa honey, a BLACK national anthem is something a Black African Country would have, not a country like America that exists for everyone,” Spicer tweeted.

Author Tim Young echoed Spicer’s concerns, tweeting: “Nothing will unite us more as a nation than separate but equal national anthems…”

https://nypost.com/2021/07/04/pbs-backlash-over-vanessa-williams-black-national-anthem/

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 06:00:55 AM »
Tell that to the Black lady whose home appraisal came in much lower than it did when she had her white friend stand-in for her for the same home. Tell that to the Black folks whose homes have been gentrified by white-run governments. Tell that to the Black folks who are being charged inflated interest rates on car/home loans. The Black National Anthem is a product of what the country is.

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 06:20:26 AM »
The Negro national anthem was written in 1900. It was dubbed the Negro national anthem in 1905 on the anniversary of Lincoln birthday.  The American national anthem did not debut until 1931. Before that we had no OFFICIAL national anthem.

Online Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 10:28:38 AM »
On CNN last night a Sister sang the hell out of LIFT EVERY VOICE.

I guess they'll be coming for her, too!!!

On the merits (aside from the cheap anti-Black motives), in essence, those fFar fRight fWingers are saying it is NOT a patriotic song.

There is some merit to that argument IMO if my interpretation of THE key line is employed.  The lyrics were written as a statement of aspiration, pain, resilience and RESISTANCE.

"TRUE TO OUR NATIVE LAND" means loyal to Africa.

I embrace and defend that statement.

O0

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 12:46:48 PM »
I saw her as well 66... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:42:37 AM »

There's no such thing as a "Negro National Anthem".... To have a national anthem you have to have a nation. There's an American National Anthem which many Negroes are citizens. What Johnson wrote is correctly a nice tune and song. We weren't even called Black as some have dubbed the tune as the "Black National Anthem"....

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
On CNN last night a Sister sang the hell out of LIFT EVERY VOICE.

I guess they'll be coming for her, too!!!

On the merits (aside from the cheap anti-Black motives), in essence, those fFar fRight fWingers are saying it is NOT a patriotic song.

There is some merit to that argument IMO if my interpretation of THE key line is employed.  The lyrics were written as a statement of aspiration, pain, resilience and RESISTANCE.

"TRUE TO OUR NATIVE LAND" means loyal to Africa.

I embrace and defend that statement.

O0

I saw a woman sing it on NBC as well during the Macy's Firework Special

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 09:50:09 AM »
No to have a national anthem you have to have national identity. You can identify with being black in America and still have an anthem

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »
No to have a national anthem you have to have national identity. You can identify with being black in America and still have an anthem

I did not say you could not have a anthem.... It's just not a national anthem... IDIOT.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »
The program opened with the national anthem.  After that they can sing whatever they want. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 10:03:45 AM »
Yes you can.  If you were segregated and had your OWN school business and shops.  Why not have your own anthem,? It  was written in 1900

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule