News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Question  (Read 625 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Question
« on: June 22, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
What is the number one complaint your students or HBCU students, in general, have about HBCUs?

I am having a discussion with one of my fellow Alumni about this subject and I wanted to get other opinions.
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 03:08:32 PM »
They are too expensive.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 03:44:00 PM »
Don't know if it's #1. But, housing is the hot topic now.
"I do not follow trails of candy. I am the candy

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
National Rankings in STEM Majors

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »
Everyone I talk to have a similar theme:
1. Housing (on & off campus)
2. Lack of resources & support (financial, mental health, etc)
3. Skyrocketing costs vs ROI
4. Lack of leadership & vision; no direction for future
5. Subpar campus infrastructure
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 04:17:32 PM by ‘87 Alum »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 05:06:34 PM »
The state of  and the lack of campus facilities and equipment.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
All of the above... :tiptoe:

Teeny and Little

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 08:48:25 PM »
This is good information, however, I'm still getting complaints from parents/students about customer service/treatment. :shrug:
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:51:12 PM »
They are too expensive.
This is true and is relative.  Students at public schools complain about how high tuition is because they have not seen the tuition at many private HBCUs. :shrug:

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 10:26:04 PM »
This is good information, however, I'm still getting complaints from parents/students about customer service/treatment. :shrug:

This is huge.  Black businesses too. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. In the past, I've hammered the folks at FAMU on this issue. Especially in the financial aid offices. The president eventually made it a priority on campus to improve in that area. In the past, I have personally had to visit their offices on issues where they've dropped the ball after the student has dotted all of the Is and crossed all of the Ts, yet they dropped the ball and still want make it difficult for the student.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 09:29:25 AM »
Private colleges cost more.PERIOD.  Honestly, private hbcu's are on the lower end of what private colleges costs.  Keep in mind, PRIVATE colleges do not receive state funds.

STATE hbcu's are on par with the rest of the public colleges, and even that varies, but again, OURS are no more expensive than the next.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »

Unfortunately, until the mindset of what customer service is, you will keep getting complaints from parents and students.  I think we all know how some of them are very smug and condescending to students, from one school to the next.

And yes, that attitude transcends to other businesses as well [Black-owned], not all, but more than enough.

What is it about SERVICE that our folks who are paid to give it, reluctantly do it and do it with the worst attitudes?  It is ridiculous and we do deserve better.

Our schools really take these students AND THEIR MONEY for granted.

WE CAN AND SHOULD DO BETTER.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »

Unfortunately, until the mindset of what customer service is, you will keep getting complaints from parents and students.  I think we all know how some of them are very smug and condescending to students, from one school to the next.

And yes, that attitude transcends to other businesses as well [Black-owned], not all, but more than enough.

What is it about SERVICE that our folks who are paid to give it, reluctantly do it and do it with the worst attitudes?  It is ridiculous and we do deserve better.

Our schools really take these students AND THEIR MONEY for granted.

WE CAN AND SHOULD DO BETTER.

Jay, from my observation, they make it personal and operate from a point of personality rather than just doing what the job requires to get done. If they make a mistake and fall short, rather than owning it, they project onto others and never seek to correct themselves or the problem. Many times, people get these positions and want to turn them into their own way of doing the job as opposed to doing what's required. Just do your dayum job minus the attitude shytty personality issues.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
soflorattler, you said it.

Honestly, its a wonder nobody has reached across those counters and attempted to choke somebody out. :lol: NOT saying its right nor the answer, but, I would totally understand.

Miss Gerri ALWAYS popping off!  :blush:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule