News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Question  (Read 629 times)

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2021, 11:33:47 AM »
@Cap, I think as much as we educate about customer service we must educate about civility. You can give excellent customer service and the person be asking or demanding something that is outside of the scope of your job and be reported for bad customer service. I do not think that abuse is par for the course. When people are wrong, they are wrong. Which is why all of my communications are in writing and if I have a negative interaction with a student, parent, or alumnus I report it myself.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »
Well, I worked in a prison system for almost thirty years.  I have had to endure all kinds of verbal abuse and threats of physical abuse, however, I can say that I have never had to resort in kind and it was because of my demeanor that I was able to deal with some of the most abusive and assaultive inmates without any major problems. Should staff be verbally abused no, should staff/faculty abuse their stakeholders, absolutely not. I doubt if the bulk of the folks who complain about customer service abuse the staff/faculty.  I also doubt if many staff, who are being helpful, are abused.  If someone has some stats that prove otherwise please share. :shrug:
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline iceman4221

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Beast of the MidEast with 17 Football Championships and Counting...
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2021, 08:35:08 PM »
Back in the day, I was recruited to be one of the first doctoral students at old Atlanta university. It was based on the minimal level that had been set for a GRE score.

When my first subsistence check was short, I went to the office to inquire as to why. The clerk in the office who already knew who I was, told me this is for your room and board.

Living on campus was not a requirement of the stipend. One person lived in a hotel. I said I live with my parents. Her reply was "we don't care where you sleep". I went to her boss, the Registrar to complain.

I may have been their youngest doctoral student, but I had left a job like everyone else. The Registrar asked me "where does your dad work? I said my dad is a postman. He replied, your dad works at the post office, "your dad has plenty of money".

End of meeting. I struggled for a year to give my parents subsistence money for my expenses.

But I did not go back. Five years later, I entered a doctoral program at The University of Michigan with full financial support. I said thank you Atlanta University for "f...g" over me.

THIS Financial Aid Decision and Assistance Takes Entirely Too Long and is often Inadequate - Period!!!

My daughter attended UNC Greensboro, because it took the HBCU entirely to long to provide a decision on financial aid... 
When the package came from HBCU, it was 6 weeks before the start of school, but she received a package from UNC-G back in April of that year... 

So, I got her a car to get around in and an off campus apartment, because I had saved $15,000/year for 3 kid's college education......

No it was not NC A&T or NCCU, but it was a NC HBCU, and North Carolina has a total of 10 plus 1 Native American University UNC-Pembroke...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:49:06 PM by iceman4221 »
NEVER Deliberate, Debate or Argue About what is Clearly Wrong and/or Unjust, and Try to Persuade Yourself or Others that it's Not...

Offline iceman4221

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Beast of the MidEast with 17 Football Championships and Counting...
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2021, 08:54:56 PM »
More HBCUs should adopt the personal success coach model.  For profit colleges have been doing it for years, and HBCU staff have been doing it in a less formalized way.  Hence the perception of a 'nurturing/family environment' that has long-been a HBCU selling point.  HBCUs usually take care of select pockets of students (athletes, honor students, scholarship recipients, ROTC, high-demand majors, researchers, children of alumni), because they assign staff to service those groups. 

This raises the question; how to inspire and advise 'regular' students?  At HBCUs it's often the interaction with faculty that saves the college's reputation in the minds of students.  Our faculty are gems and we should sing their praises more often.  However, student success begins from the time they press submit to create a profile in the admissions portal.   This is where for-profit colleges have shined and regional publics are raising the bar.  Although, It may be costly to implement a personal success coach program; but it may be necessary to a small colleges survival. 

In dealing with my quiz bowl team.  I have a personal mantra "My role is to create and inspire good alumni."  Once you join our club, we fight for you, we alert you to opportunities for personal and professional growth, we make sure that you're making academic progress by monitoring grades and occasionally involving parents and senior faculty.  I wish every HBCU employee would take on that mantra.  It's often reflected by executives but downline workers sometimes miss the message.

Finally, we should recognize that as a 'black business' we are often subject to more scrutiny from black people and bear that in mind during our interactions.  The same student will willingly pay more and have the some of the same facility and infrastructure issues at PWIs as long as their service is top notch.  PWIs have power and water outages, crime (violent and petty) issues, technology issues, etc.  . .

Facts, I was Presidential Scholar at SC State University back in 1983 and I had no problem with anything...

Exceptional Post, I expect all organizations to treat me the way my family and MetLife Property & Casualty treated me when I graduated and took my 1st job. 

As if I am important and I matter - period!!!
NEVER Deliberate, Debate or Argue About what is Clearly Wrong and/or Unjust, and Try to Persuade Yourself or Others that it's Not...

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2021, 06:58:26 AM »
You folks love ignoring the truth. Those nasty stank attitudes are the problem. Address those and you solve the problem.
"Bulldog for Life"

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule